SAU Community

Hub Ring/spacers

Turbz_13

how r ya guys, if ya dont understand what i mean. they are used if the mag doesnt sit flush on the lip on the hub(inside if the studs, it sits out a few mils from the face of the hub) so apparently the weight of the car isnt on the studs but is on the hub its self.

....hope i explained it right, or so people understand it.

well anyways i have 2 friends, 1 is a mechanic and the other works as a tyre fitter. 1 is saying it is extremely dangerious and will break studs causing the wheel to fall of and crashing the car. they other says it isnt as bad as people say, as apparently 1 out of 5 people with after market mags are driving around without the wheels sitting properly.

just wanted to know some of your guys opinions on this stuff.

cheers guys, james

yeah they pritty much the things.

i have a set of sparco wheels that have multi stud patterns so i guess they mad it like that to suit all type of cars. and i guess ya just get the hub rings to suit ya car.

All factory wheels are made to sit tight on the hub to take all the load and the studs are there to stop the wheel spinning around.

Aftermarket wheels are made with a larger centre bore and these are reduced down to suit a particular car with hub rings.

Read all about it here:

http://planetsoarer.com/offset/studs.htm

and yes you will need them if your wheels have a centre bore larger than the OD of your hub centre. do not run without them. most wheels come with them already fitted inside the wheel to suit your application. and it has very little to do with stud pattern btw.

and yes you will need them if your wheels have a centre bore larger than the OD of your hub centre. do not run without them. most wheels come with them already fitted inside the wheel to suit your application. and it has very little to do with stud pattern btw.

Yes 99% of aftermarket wheels will need them. The tyre shop will ask what vehicle they're to suit and supply the correct hub rings.

Some factory wheels like Nismo/TRD may already have the correct centre bore because they are to suit 1 particular vehicle etc.

Who said anything about stud patterns?! :wave:

I think most Nissans have a 66.1mm wheel centre bore.

Edited by VHR32

what about slip on spacers? do these also prevent the wheel from sitting correctly on the hub?

yes, sadly most of them do. but there are some slip on spacers fit tighly on the existing hub, and have a little raised hub of their own machined in. they are often called hubcentric spacers.

what about slip on spacers? do these also prevent the wheel from sitting correctly on the hub?

sorry, i should have said, i was reffering to 5mm slip ons. is 5mm enough to make them sit off the hub?

The hub ring primary function is not to support the weight of the car. Its there to center it and I'd say thats about it. Those *plastic* hub rings aren't there to hold the mass of the car - think about it! However when you don't have the rings you have to be careful in centering the rim properly through the bolt holes.

Normally any spacer 5mm or more will not let the rim touch the ring. Not that you should go bigger than that on stock studs anyway...

Edited by Busky2k

The hub ring primary function is not to support the weight of the car. Its there to center it and I'd say thats about it. Those *plastic* hub rings aren't there to hold the mass of the car - think about it!

The hub ring is there to centre it BUT the load of the car is meant to be placed on the centre of the hub whether it fits with or without hub rings.

You dont want the studs to take all the weight, this is how they break.

The hub ring is there to centre it BUT the load of the car is meant to be placed on the centre of the hub whether it fits with or without hub rings.

You dont want the studs to take all the weight, this is how they break.

100% correct. If u use spacers the studs are taking all the load which they are not designed to do. heaps of examples where on track days studs have snapped...a few on this forum also.

If u buy good rims they should have a skyline specific model i.e. Work/Rays etc. Mine do not have spacers and when I fitted them they were perfect.