SAU Community

Rotary Times

.....Who's car can run 10's flat...and do they use it everyday?

Brother inlaw ran 10.21 @137mph RX7 S3 13BT untubbed street driven. :)

Previous to our skylines we had RX2 12A bridge and it was the most fun I have ever had driving that thing,

hubby used to complain I had no mechanical sympathy, but it kept going and going.

too many variables with drag cars.

if u look at the pro rwd category in sport compact racing worldwide, pistons r the clear leader with titan running 6.41@220 in their 2J scion, theyre just making too much power for any rotary engine to catch.

at the end of the day, nothing beats v8 twin turbo :) no1s yet to catch MRMAD in australia :) and thats only a 3/4 chassis car!

yeah sports compact cars can only go as fast as to a certain degree.....

Brother inlaw ran 10.21 @137mph RX7 S3 13BT untubbed street driven. :)

Previous to our skylines we had RX2 12A bridge and it was the most fun I have ever had driving that thing,

hubby used to complain I had no mechanical sympathy, but it kept going and going.

Now thats what I am talking about :sorcerer:

A real car driven on the street...not a car that can't turn a corner :sleep:

RX7's have one of the best chassis for drag racing...this is why they are stripped down and re-built .

• 2 months later...
Fuel consumption however is high

This is true on stock models but as the power goes up, the gas mileage doesn't go down much. In comparison to a piston motored car anyways.

im not quite sure why everyone keeps saying they're so unreliable...there are 2 guys at my works with a rx3 and rx4 and both claim its been about 160000ks without a rebuild now

I owned a 1987 RX-7 Turbo II with a few small modifications. I got 190,000miles on the odometer before the engine seals blew due to the radiator dying. One of my buddies owned a NA version of the same car and hit well over 250,000miles before the car rusted apart (lots of snow here, and they salt the roads). The normal problem with reliability is that the seals which hold the housings together go bad, which causes coolant to get into the engine. Coolant, being mostly water doesn't compress or combust, which kinda ruins your engines day. Rotary engines self lubricate when they run (they actually burn nearly 1 quart of oil every 3000miles), but most people just have the cars as weekend rides and they almost always sit in the winter. Sitting for extended periods of time causes the seals dry up and thats where the reliability issues come in. You rarely hear to many problems coming from daily driven RX cars.

Does anyone know what time the quickest rotor in the world does down a quater mile ? and what makes them so good compared to piston motors ?

I don't know what the fastest rotor is, but the reason they are so good is that they basically only have 2 moving parts (the rotors themselves). Because of this, there is a lot less to break. They are also way more efficient because they do intake, compression, combustion and exhaust all in the same chamber. Also rotary engines are VERY lightweight and they take very well to modification (big honkin turbos and whatnot).

No doubt in my mind that the Wankel motor would be superior to its piston competitors if people had spent the same amount of time developing it over the last 100+ years as they did the internal combustion piston motors. Heres some more information for anyone who actually cares. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Wow mate that's huge, congrats. Glad you found better people to deal with and all seems like it's going in the right direction.
    • The best setting for street is what gives the best tyres wear for your driving style Different tyres like different camber You want the whole surface of the tread to wear flat, if the inside of the tyre is wearing more than the outside reduce camber settings For toe, have the minimum amount to give the handling you want Caster, from my experience if you can adjust it, is as much as you can get without clearance issues And while -2.5° of camber on the front might work well with good tyres for "spirited" cornering, it may be too much for a street car Lots of front camber will effect braking Just like to much rear camber will effect rear traction (rwd), and braking  When I set my Bogan Cruise Ship (VX SS) up for drags I tested how much tyre width I actually had in the rear by doing a hard launch (skid), it originally had -1.5° in the rear, and you could see that the tyre wasn't putting down alot of the tread, I maxed out the settings to get as little camber as I could with the OEM adjustment and some camber bushings and got it down to just under -0.5° with 0 toe, that gave me a fair bit more "rubber on the road" and helped it hook up for my 60' and my 0-100kph And with -1.5° in the front the big old boat handles fine on the street and my tyre wear is nice and even on both front and rear tyres (currently Hankook RS4's) As for semi slicks at the track, again, it depends on alot more IRT the suspension, the track and lots of other things, so, I'll leave that up to people who have more experience, especially with a AWD In saying this, street settings are pretty easy, just look at the tyre wear Meh, Necro thread, it's late at night, and I has been drinking beer
    • Thought I'd give an update. There needs to be scarce details in some areas due to ongoing discussions. Here's the journey of trying to make the booked registration appointment (again). Sent a complaint to Car Inspect outlining the concerns and made some demands. Went to a service center in Geelong, got assaulted with bullshit items on the RWC, as you know. Tried to quote $2.5k AND wanted a structural report Only seemed to be one place around Geelong that does them, they demand $495 just to end up telling me it's f**ked, at least $11k to fix and tried to sell me his own Skyline in the process (bro, wtf?) Started stressing about what I'm supposed to do with this possible pile of steel. Awaiting that, I was sent an angel friend who works in Melbourne and knows real mechanics and body shops.  They laughed at the reported quotes (don't get work done in Geelong) Car underwent some front surgery and brought back better They then sent it to the mechanics for RWC Registration appointment is two days away at this point. Mechanics pointed out two issues: driver's seat and shocks - that's it. He offered couple options and I chose coilovers. Frantically I scoured the jungle realm that is Facebook Marketplace (again). Found what looks to be a decent Series 1 seat actually - $100 Guy is friendly, offers to bring the seat with a colleague who's heading to Geelong (thanks man, that was cool) Seat arrived, looks good. Throw it in my car and drive to Melbourne and drop it to mechanic T-1 day, mechanic reckons job will be done for the fronts only, gets it done by 4PM Mechanic heads to get the coil-overs that night as a favour to help me make the appointment Get driven to Melbourne, drove the car back - RWC Unlocked! ✅ VicRoads tomorrow, the goal is close now. 🙂
    • Gtr are still available through the heritage program but don’t have the wiring