SAU Community

New P-plate Laws!

Rekin

Thankgod I'm on fulls.

Though i do have a question, My younger brother who has a, Nissan Silvia CA18DET Manual. Stock as a rock.

He is going for his P's in May, though if he fails his P's in may he might not be able to Rebook untill July if worst comes to worst.

What I'm wanting to know is, i noticed they had some Turbo Car exceptions for the new P-Plate laws. Would a Silvia CA18DET may be an exception?

Come on lets be serious it really isn't a high powered turbo car.

What do you think? He might be able to get away with it?

- Turko

The funny thing is, it's under the Current to power to weight laws. Would he have a case to argue. So a kid that gets his Lisence one month before him can drive the same car & not be hassled. They really need to sort these laws out.

It's not as easy as selling your Pride & Joy you have had 6 months prior to these laws coming in. Lets face it you can't sell a car over night.

Ah well these laws will be bs for new drivers.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I reckon Blanket rulle similiar to motorbike

4 cyclinder non-Turbo vehicles only for when you are on your P's :closedeyes:

Many a year ago that used to be the law in some states.

Go the worked SR20DE! In a SSS Pulsar they go pretty quick. Cams, exhaust, computer, injectors. Plenty of power. That's what I'd be doing if I was on my P's.

this is also fairly important and nobody seems to know about it and it already applies..

From 1 January 2007, all drivers under the age of 26 are required to carry their drivers licence with them when driving or penalties will apply.

What a silly law.....If thats your only form of ID how can you prove your over 26 if your fairly young looking......damn vicroads mooks

The funny thing is, it's under the Current to power to weight laws. Would he have a case to argue. So a kid that gets his Lisence one month before him can drive the same car & not be hassled. They really need to sort these laws out.

It's not as easy as selling your Pride & Joy you have had 6 months prior to these laws coming in. Lets face it you can't sell a car over night.

Ah well these laws will be bs for new drivers.

Didn't NSW let you keep driving a turbo car if you purchased the car before the dates? Not too sure if Vic will allow that but I guess you can always call VicRoads and ask them.

Last night i was in a mates car (93 32 GTSt - not high powered) we get pulled over by highway patrol, checks the height, under the bonnet blah blah everythings sweet...then he goes:

"What are you gonna do with this car when the new laws come in?"

Im thinkin WTF!....what IS gonna happen when the new laws come in and cops dont know what the f**k they are talking about.....

I sure hope they get their facts straight by July 1st....

:(

arrghhhhh this is all gay gay gay gay :(

I know the power to weight rule has always been in place, but it's not always enforced now. I wonder if that will change after the new laws come in? probably yes :(

Last night i was in a mates car (93 32 GTSt - not high powered) we get pulled over by highway patrol, checks the height, under the bonnet blah blah everythings sweet...then he goes:

"What are you gonna do with this car when the new laws come in?"

Im thinkin WTF!....what IS gonna happen when the new laws come in and cops dont know what the f**k they are talking about.....

I sure hope they get their facts straight by July 1st....

:)

Haha thats exactly what i mentioned a couple of pages before. Gonna be a fun time explaining to the police what car is legal...

Go the worked SR20DE! In a SSS Pulsar they go pretty quick. Cams, exhaust, computer, injectors. Plenty of power. That's what I'd be doing if I was on my P's.

I thought you weren't allowed any modified engines? I just sold my N15 SSS and it was a quick car stock anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

answer is no. but i just realised i have another two months in which i can drive my car without risking loss of my licence :PBJ: :PBJ: :PBJ::)

interesting to note that 3 years ago the gtst wasnt a 'restricted' vehicle. clicky

im pretty sure that a more recent version of this document existed cos i remember reading a list of vehicles over the limit and it had a gtst on it. i remember being pretty peeved cos it listed the car as being about 126.5 or thereabouts. only a fraction to a couple of kw over

I see that vicroads is following in the nsw footsteps. I think that in vic we should get our p's at 17 aswell like nsw. I'm sure a lot of you would disagree with me but i think it's fair if these new laws are coming in.

• 2 months later...

a series 1 R32 gtst is lighter because it does not have side intrusion bars etc.

That little weight reduction technically makes it illegal for P-Platers

Although im not 100% sure if police know this, and probably would just assume all r32's are legal.

Thanks heaps Rekin, thats what i originally thought. But i've been finding mixed results on the weight and power of the vehicle. Some sources say 160kw, some 158kw. Some say 1260kg, some say 1290 etc etc...

Does anybody know the exact factory quoted figures for the gtst?

And also, how can i tell the difference between a Type M and non-type M. It doesnt have the body kit, but it has the 4pot brakes. So that would make it a type m?

Thanks heaps Rekin, thats what i originally thought. But i've been finding mixed results on the weight and power of the vehicle. Some sources say 160kw, some 158kw. Some say 1260kg, some say 1290 etc etc...

Does anybody know the exact factory quoted figures for the gtst?

And also, how can i tell the difference between a Type M and non-type M. It doesnt have the body kit, but it has the 4pot brakes. So that would make it a type m?

Give me the VIN number and ill run a check, mine did not come with sideskirts but has 4pot brakes and is listed typeM on FAST.

If you have any other similar questions just shoot me a pm and not in this thread.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread but people need to be VERY careful what 'information' they provide.

It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure that any vehicle you drive is not a high powered motor vehicle. To ensure this you may need to obtain Weight Bridge Certificate to confirm the tare mass of the vehicle and check with the manufacturer or in owner's handbook for engine power.

It is not 'simply factory weight' as MANY others have said.

While giving advice is fine, people shouldn't specify if they are uncertain.