SAU Community

Where To Mount An Oil Cooler?

...I have to be honest I reckon mounting one anywhere other than in either the passenger side duct, or the drivers side duct is a bit of a waste...

Of course, makes me envious of R33's long noise

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hrmmm. talk of height of the cooler??????? whatt tha. lol

anywhere on the lower half of the radiator leval so the air gos through it not over or around it. that hks kit looks realy nice. with the ducting.

for the track a minimum of 25 rows will be ok. ive got two. still gets hot but. one in the brake duct one infron of the radiator making it over heat :)

noone - i reckon where I've got mine is your best bet. That way a bit of bent aluminium shrouding can duct directly to the front bar inlet. Also there is no other cooling or obstructions around there.

h2k - that's not so good as you've already passed air through the intercooler (slowing airflow, and heating the air), then partially through the oil cooler (remember air velocity is now reduced) and then through the radiator (if it goes through it at all).

remember what i said earlier that if you don't have exit vents, or enough airspace behind the cooler (be it intercooler, oil, or radiator) it will do NOTHING to cool the face of the cooler. Think of the practical example - if you open up the window of your room, and shut all other doors, there is fark all air flow as it doesn't have anywhere to exit. If you open the door the air will travel in the window and out the door, i.e. the path of least resistance. You MUST allow the air to escape once it has passed through the core.

hope that helps

totally agree Ronin, Baron an all an after a bit a dickin around this arvo looks like I can just squeeze it in there

still a little concerned about the angle but like ya say bit a ducting allgood

Looks like the braided lines supplied wont be too helpful might be able to shorten on an use the others they might be a little short though

Still gotta finalize the position for the filter relocater

hopefully mount it down low in front of the crossmember see how it goes

and holesaw a bunch a holes into the plastic guard liner too ventilation ventilation

Just wish that intercooler piping left a little more room

yeah. i achieved f**k all with the radiator mounted one. perhaps 10 degrees diferance at 110. so 110 instead of 120. and offset by the engine overheating twice as fast.

Living in darwin dont need any more overheating issues its hot enough up here as is!!

Good to here some definitive results though,

main reason I didnt wanna mount between radiator and intercooler

2 begin with

I had the oilcooler mounted in front of the radiator, but this setup is much better. It's a HKS S-type, deflectors etc. are included.

well considering i'm halfway through my fuel system may as well start looking at the next thing I wanna do which is an oil cooler and relocator kit.

Looking at the nengun site the HKS Type S kits seem to be the basic ones and the Type R kits are the ones that come with the oil filter relocators and ducting but according to the HKS website only the Type S kits are avaliable for a 33GTR.......actually no there are type S kits that come with ducting as well :laugh: omg so hard to understand. Can anyone clear this up? does the Type S kit for a 33GTR come with the ducting but not the filter relocator?

Hmm can probably live with the filter still being down underneath, keeps it out of harms way I suppose and it's not that hard to change anyway, K&N hex head filters FTW!

crappest pic ever but my remote filter is on the front of the cross member... awesome for access to change the oil... probably not so good for something ripping it off.

but if something rips it off, say goodbye to the front bar, lower lip, intercooler too!

post-1486-1179230954_thumb.jpg

After looking at the ripple strip paint on my crossmember I think thats a little low and exposed for my liking

that said I doubt it woulda hit but still a little scary (mine is too low though too)

appreciate all the pics though guy

Was thinking the other side probly only a foot or so forward of the normal mounting point

but much much easier to get to an will try an tuck it up a little more

not too sure how to route the lines and thinking that my choice of mounting spots may be why the lines look like they are all wrong

probly wouldnt have brought a kit if I were doing it again individual parts

and custom lines to suit!!!!!

Edited by noone

Others have touched on it...but air is lazy and will take the path of least resistance. Which in 99% of cases is around the cooler unless you force it to go through, ie ducts and guides. There is also another place to convenient install them which noone is thinking about :) Mush better performance, though is a full weekends work doing it :(

Others have touched on it...but air is lazy and will take the path of least resistance. Which in 99% of cases is around the cooler unless you force it to go through, ie ducts and guides. There is also another place to convenient install them which noone is thinking about :) Mush better performance, though is a full weekends work doing it :(

horizontal mount with 90 degree (high pressure) ducting from the front bar, with neg. pressure of air under car drawing air out of cooler?

or out back near the diff?

lol...we have had this discussion, but thats one way., Buit for road cars with stones. water splashing everywhere etc. You only have to spend 2 hours lookign at race cars to see a whole other possible ways of doing it that may better suit your sized cooler and where you want to put it

Sorry ronin meant my cars too low not the oil filter

Yeah I figured that was the tow hook thingo in front of where yours was mounted so

realisticly its probly fairly safe I guess

Mine is actually still in process of being decided upon/mounted

but back to work tomorrow so I guess it wont get finished now for a week or so.

Damn braided lines are going to be all wrong methinks Damn!

Roy are you talking about me or noone inparticular???

Any suggestions much appreciated bud

Looks like the GTR's getting group buy suspension too so might be off the road for a little while

had a quick look tonight and that spot actually is looking better an better Ronin assume u used the bolt holes for the power steering lines,

Had wanted to tuck mine up near the drivers side engine mount but I dunno if I am going to manage to fit it in their though its tight!!