SAU Community

180sx

Hey since I smashed my car on the weekend when some bastard cut in on my lane and i swerved to miss him and hit the car in my left lane. The perpetrator just driving off and i was too slow to get the plate. Now i am going to have to pay for the insurance, so instead of getting a 1996 GTS-T SII Skyline for around $25 + $expensive insurance with my now crap rating. I was thinking i will get a 180sx for around $12 and just get 3rd party fire and theft and save $3k/year on insurance.

So are 180sx's any good. I would prefer one with a silvia front end, because pop up lights are sooooo 80's.

Do the 180sx's use the same 2 litre turbo in the GTIR's, as i dont think much of them, although gutsy a friend fo mine has a GTIR which spends half its life in the workshop.

Anyone got any thought on what I should do?

Okay

Well 1989 model 180sx have the CA18DET, 1.8litre Turbo 4 cyl, the ones with the rounded nose 1991 onwards have the same motor as the GTi-R, the SR20DET. Expect to pay between $12,500 and $15,000 for a early model SR20DET 180sx. They're a good car - pretty reliable, the SR20DET is a pretty strong engine. Although it uses the same engine as the GTi-R, it doesn't have as much power but is still a fairly fast car. They're really tail-happy in the wet, and handle great with a bit of suspension work.

You say you wanted one with a Silvia front end ---- they call these "Sileighty's" .. You wont find a genuine one for $13k that is for sure. You may be able to find a fake one, but they're pretty rare too. The front end swap is easy, you should go talk to an importer about swapping/paying the difference for a silvia's front panels - they'll bolt straight up it's a do it yourself job

there's a buyers guide etc at www.silviaaustralia.com if you go have a look there. Also another thing to look for, if the 180sx you're looking at has a small wing which comes stock, look under the boot. They've got ****ty seals and water tends to get under there and stay there for a long time... you know what that means! RUST! so just check it.

So just have a look through the buyers guide on the link i gave you if you're after more info.. it's just like buying any other import there's a few usual things to look for..

all in all if you get one in decent condition they're a reliable car which can go damn hard with a little work

Originally posted by [ryan]

the ones with the rounded nose 1991 onwards have the same motor as the GTi-R, the SR20DET. Although it uses the same engine as the GTi-R, it doesn't have as much power but is still a fairly fast car. They're really tail-happy in the wet, and handle great with a bit of suspension work.

QUOTE]

Erm, NO the SR20DET found in the 180sx is NOT the same as the SR20DET found in the Pulsar Gti-R. For one the GTi-R version uses quad throttle bodies and as mentioned they pack around 30 kw more punch straight out of the box.

The standard issue SR found in the 180sx is still a great motor and reacts very well to mods.

note ryans "Tail happy" comment :( 180's drift with the best of them!

oooh ooohhh.. oooh...

180SX's look SICK!

'specially the newer (97+ models) Spec2 models... *squeal*

As far as my quest for a skyline goes, insurance/finance/cost, it seems everything under the sun is preventing me from a Skyline right now..... might just have to settle for a nice 180 me thinks..

as for teh pop-up lights, yes, VERY 80's.. I much prefer the Sileighty.... must organise a panel swap if i DO get a 180...

Also, my insurance will be cheaper as a result. It's all part of my new car project.....

... hence the fact, i want a new JOB!!! in IT! HELP!

... then a skyline would be SO much easier...

I can be patient, what are the details?

If not I was thinking I could just turbo my EB, dont laugh i saw an 11 second Falcon XE Turbo 4.1. On Gas. Looks like crap but goes hard. 338.9 rwkw and 1408.2Nm of torque, yeah thats right 1400.

I wouldnt go to that extreme but its cheaper than getting a new car.

You can check it out here www.fullbost.com.au its under feature cars.

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Mighty Highlights

I can be patient, what are the details?

If not I was thinking I could just turbo my EB, dont laugh i saw an 11 second Falcon XE Turbo 4.1.  On Gas.  Looks like crap but goes hard.  338.9 rwkw and 1408.2Nm of torque, yeah thats right 1400.

I wouldnt go to that extreme but its cheaper than getting a new car.

You can check it out here www.fullbost.com.au its under feature cars.

To get that kind of power out of your EB, will cost you more than buying a 180 :) and 100% more headaches.

Stick with ice180, he'll help you out.

180s are considered one of the best drift weapons in japan... i guess that says something, they also look ****ing sweet and go extremely hard, especially the sr20det beasts... another difference between the gtir is the size and location of the intercooler, it'll be easier to fit a larger intercooler to the 180...

failing that get an fc rx7... **** yes

lates

s13 silvia fronts are ugly as i reckon. stick with the classic pop up lites and a nice front kit. i definetly agree with NIZ30, the strawberry kit is nice. i've still yet to see one in melbourne.

the 94 onwards 180sx have the black rocker cover engines, same as 200sx. i use to have a 1.8 180sx, still like em, but i lurve the skylines!