SAU Community

G4 / D2 8 Piston Brakes - The Diffinitive Review

Thanks Roy, might just have to wait till the car is back out of the shop before I dive into another aspect of the car. Will keep everyone posted.

Edited by Tomek

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duncan any chance you have tried to fit 17" drifteks over 356mm fronts?

I am seriously thinking about getting a set considering

R33 Gtr calipers say $1800

new discs $700

pads $300

braided lines $200

=$3k

And I think I have found a place that will do 356mm + 330mm kits delivered for $3000

mods? not sure what you mean?

I have a set of 356mm on the 350z (well did, I just sold it) for about 2 years, straight bolt on, no problems.

I have a set of 356mm on the new race car but it hasn't run yet. straight bolt on.

I have a set of 330mm on the stagea under 17" rims. These have been running for at least 3 years and are second hand off my race car. 3rd set of pads, first set of rotors, absolutley no issues. I did have a minor issue with installation, it is a 32 gtr kit with m12 bolts but the stage hub allows m14 bolts. Added a small sleeve. Also had to trim the brake backing plate.

aleks, sorry not sure but you would need VERY generous internal size to run 356 under 17s. The only one we got to fit, and only by 1mm was a set of weds. Also required adjsutment to the caliper mounts and the caliper, but it was a race car so who cares. In practice....330 17"+, 356 18"+

I've been running my 356mm G4s for about 2 years now, no issues at all. Currently running ferrodo DS2500 pads which are meant for an AP caliper.

• 4 weeks later...

Great read. I am considering going down the brake upgrade path myself as i encounter fade on my weekend mountain runs..

What is a 356kit actually worth? And i also plan on upgrading my wheels to 18x10 +18 all round Work XD9's, i know these are the "dished style" of rim.. is anyone running a 356mm on these wheels?

What are the chancing of these clearing a 356mm kit front / rear..

Also best place to source these? Just jap?

Cheers!

• 8 months later...

I have done a bit of research on these Taiwanese big brake kits and it appears that they are not all the same... although they have the same origin (an old AP design)

At least in the case of K Sport they are an independent company that make a lot of budget motor sport parts and has put in a lot of their own R & D into these brake kits.

In doing so they have developed a better performing and higher quality product than the others.

In the UK and Europe heaps of people use these K Sport big brake kits on serious track cars and rave about them... even after swapping over from Brembo's!

They are also supplied there and in the US by very reputable brake shops who would not be risking their reputation by selling crap brakes.

I have just ordered the 8 pot, 330mm kit from JustJap at a very sharp price; in fact only a couple of hundred more than a 330mm, 2 piece, rotor upgrade kit using OEM calipers!

Apparently the pads they come with are pretty useless but they are a standard pad size used by AP calipers and I have sourced some decent ones locally already.

Will provide some feedback once I've hit the track but bang-for-buck these K Sports cannot be beat.

Cheers Checkbuzz

Did you uncover anything interesting about the PB kits while you were researching the K Sport kits?

Does anyone have any experience (good or otherwise) with the PB kits?

K-sports/D2 are all the same dude as they come in exactly the same box and so on. You'd take a fair stab it's the same factory.

Do you have hard evidence to suggest otherwise?

Hope you didn't pay too much though (PM me the price if you want). The KSport GB i've been trying to get off the ground looks like it might almost be possible :D

Either way they certainly cannot be beaten for the price.

Scotsman recently did a 1:19 around Sandown with 320rwkw or so and those brakes. Obviously with uprated pads. Proof is right there in my books and he's done a number of track days now without an issue

It's basically the same deal as our Wilwood kits. They are not ADR approved (most overseas brake brands aren't - GREX, HKS etc), however can be engineered/mod plated if installed properly and legal brake lines used.

I have done a bit of research on these Taiwanese big brake kits and it appears that they are not all the same... although they have the same origin (an old AP design)

At least in the case of K Sport they are an independent company that make a lot of budget motor sport parts and has put in a lot of their own R & D into these brake kits.

In doing so they have developed a better performing and higher quality product than the others.

K-sports/D2 are all the same dude as they come in exactly the same box and so on. You'd take a fair stab it's the same factory.

Do you have hard evidence to suggest otherwise?

Ash is right.

I actually did a lot of research into these prior to doing the Wilwood group buy. I even got in contact with one of the guys in Taiwan that sends these kits out.

From what I found they all pointed to a couple of factories in Taiwan that manufacture brake kits.

Suppliers than sell them under their own name.

There are even more brands (heaps more) that none of you guys would have heard of other than the commonly available G4/D2/K Sport that they trade under, such as Nashin, Kido, G force, JUN etc (see pic).

post-35676-0-29571000-1302614783_thumb.jpg

Basically if you ordered a certain quantity as a supplier (for example 15 kits) you could get what ever colour, style of caliper and writing you wanted on them. Even some different choices in rotors. So for example white calipers with SAU written on them :P They could even do a 12 piston caliper kit with 400mm x 36mm rotors!

If you knew the prices of some of these kits in larger quantites you wouldn't believe me.

I even spoke to one of my mates about getting money together and designing our own kit to supply in Australia - but we weren't to keen to send $15,000+ to Taiwan lol.

At the end of the day it wasn't something I was interested in but the proof is in the results, they work well.