SAU Community

adjusting coil overs

hey ppls

im planning to lower my car another 1" next week currently i have Bilstein coil overs and I went to Ozzy tyres they said that they can adjust them for $150 a pair does this sound right has anyone ever got this done??

Wow - that's $300 bucks !!

Na, if your handy with tools, get your mates around and you should be able to do it in an hour or two.

Sounds like you don't have the C's spanners to adjust them?

Try and get hold of a pair of them (try whiteline), I think they sell for about 20-30 bucks each maybe?

All you do is lossen the rings and wind them down. Just amke sure you measure them all so you lower them all by the same amount.

There's a way of doing it with screwdrivers, but I've never done it that way...

J

wtf?

$300 to adjust the height of coilovers?

I'll do it for a beer. I would have said a 6 pack, but I'll have finished lowering the car before I finished one beer.

Seriously, get a C-spanner, and do it yourself, nothing could be easier.

i dont know much about the suspension but i was told that the springs need to be re-heated and adjusted and they cant do it on the weekend they have to take this out and send it somewere else???? are they pulling my leg???

Ron-15H,

Are your Bilsteins genuine, fully-adjustable coil-overs, or are they like mine, with a C-clip and some slots machined in the shock body to adjust the position of the spring platform.

The real point of (adjustable) coil-overs is not to lower the car, but to ensure that each corner carries the correct proportion of the car's weight.

Setting up a set of coil-overs in less than the time required to consume a tinny is not setting up coil-overs.

I had the spring treatment done on my GTS4, and frankly, it wasn't much chop. I ended up getting a set of lowered Kings springs.

If you have already lowered the car (you say you are planning to lower "another 1" "), then its highly recommended you don't lower it much more.

I'm sure you should find a couple of grooves machined into the shock body. If they are not there, then you should be able to get them modified appropriately.

Yellow paint does not a Bilstein make. (Old Man Emu off-road shocks are also generally yellow!). If they are Bilsteins, then they have "Bilstein" printed on the shock body. Why don't you have a look for yourself.

TOny, I think you are talking about rebound-adjustable shocks. That's not what the rest of us are talking about. There's no height adjustment in the rebound setting.

Set of King/Selby springs, result will be a little lower with slight increase in spring rate. Should be the way to go.

With just springs i dont think you will need to get the car corner weighed, just a good wheel alignment.