SAU Community

What The*&%$&* Is Going On With My Car!

Hey guys,

Need some info/advice fast cos its doin my head in...

Basically have an R33 GTST which i bought with quickly:

- a rebuiilt/forged motor

- Microtech computer

- Ball Bearing Garret GT8-76R tbo

- Garret cooler

- 3.5inch exhaust no cats etc.

- Bosche 040 Fuel Pump

- Hi-flowed (By creatd motorsport) R33 injectors to 720cc

- Profec B Spec 2 Controller

- Bee *R Limiter

- Standard fuel rail & fuel reg

Now basically its getting tuned at Creatd Motorsport in Campbelfied melbourne & the tuner advised me that this tbo would MAX at 240kws

at the wheels right. I didnt mind thats awsome power for the street.

Now problems are as follows:

a.) On the same tune that he has done he will do 3 power runs after each other without touchingg tune & the fuel map shows completely

different readings each time!!! eg, medium, Very rich, Rich, lean etc.

Now im guessing this could be a fault in the microtech? Sensors ETC have already been checked but seem fine!!

b.) The turbo seems to be f*king shithouse unless its the tune!!on 10 psi the car is making around 200kws & on 14psi is making around 217,

anything above 14 psi there is NO POINT OF, from 14-17 psi there was like a 4 kw increase!!?? WTF

Another thing related to this issue is whatever power it is making its is making it reallllyyyy lazily!! I thought since this tbo has a small

exhaust housing (apparently the same as a standard S14 SR20) the car would be respsonsive as F&^%& but... no!!! The dyno graph looks

shithouse!! It gradually makes its way up to whatever power whether it be on 10psi or 14psi and once it reaches its maximum goes str8

back down!!! Literally

What i want is something that makes power hard at once & holds this power through atleast 3 thousand RPM of rev range! Thats proper

power, the way mine is making it is a joke & useless.

Now on monday the tuner is going to put another Microtech in the car from another R33 and load the same tune into that computer and see if

the fuel graph keeps changing without touchng tune. If it doesnt change then we'll obviously know its a problem with my microtech, if it does

change we will then seriously scratch our heads!!!!

Anyone with high knowledge in relation to tune and or past experience please let me know whats going on, whether its the computer, or anything

else u think may contribute to this headache....

This is a picture of the exact turbo im running in my car which has the smaller 0.64 A/R exhaust housing..... :nyaanyaa:

DSC00147.jpg

Edited by Dean_HR31

The turbo's a lump for starters. You've already discovered that anyway. Bin it, it's a horrible mismatch of compressor and turbine. 3071 or 3076, or a highflow even will do much much better. To fit that turbo you have a custom manifold or just an adapter on the stocker? That will decide the cheapest easiest way out.

What does the map trace do when the mixtures are all over the place? remembering boost is the reference it has to be either looking up the wrong cells or there is a temperature correction table in there somewhere that messing with the fueling.

Have you fitted an Air temp sensor and setup air temp comp?

I find Microtechs ping at much less timing than any other Plugin ecu but wire in obes dont but no one can explain this.

Plug in other ECUs and get huge gains every time,Any other tuneres seen this?

I know with mine it wouldnt go past 18psi apparently it was the map sensor. Get your tuner to check the map.

And microtech give the worst aftersales service so goodluck in finding info.

BHDave - yeah its jst an adapter to fit that turbos smaller flange..

Why would it be the fuel pump??

Basically i will go past the tuners shop tomoro again & take photos of all the graphs the car is reading and post it up!!

Then tell me what u guys think.. I will also let u know if it continues changing mixture with the other Microtech plugged in.....

that behavior is a stock standard feature from Microtech. Sometimes people dont ask them to remove it when buying the ecu new.

or you could check your fuel pressure / flow :)

I would make sure your Bosch 040 Fuel Pump has +12V(battery), EARTH(chassis) connected through a Bosch 30A relay first.!

Standard wiring loom has varing voltage from computer, Bosch pumps need full 12V.

Reset your fuel reg after re-wiring pump.!

i think i'll be watching this thread closely... i've got the same turbo and i want to know what to expect when i go for a tune, where about was the car built prior to you buying it?

I have a microtech and have never experienced what you said. They don't just change tune by themselves. As said, it could be correction factors. Check the ait temp compensation map and the water temp compensation map. water should be at 0 by 80deg. I have air at -2% from 60deg and up so if temps get very hot it will reduce fuel. (hot air = less dense = less oxygen)

I would be checking the fuel pump as was said. Make sure that you are running exactly the same boost also. MT's have a very "tight" MAP sensor so I know mine fluctuates a bit from 14-16psi when a guage or a dyno shows 15psi dead on. I am going to fit a filter on the MAP line to smooth this out.

hmmm interesting, thanks so much guys for the amount of info uv posted!!

I am going to print this page off and show it to my tuner tonight and see what he says...

I cant see why it would be the fuel pump though, since its brand new & was just put in before the tune by

the guy tuning the car!

In regards to the motor rebuild, it was built by P.E.T Modifications in Thomastown vic....

Since i have bought the car i have done these 720cc injectors, 040 pump, Bee *R limiter,

serviced the cusco diff & gbox.

(Mechanically wise)

All it basically needed was fuel to what i thought would give the car GOOD power... but this turbo

has really surprised me on how sh*^ it is unless its only the tune holding things back.....

As ive said i dont mind having under 240kws but id want it to be very responsive!!

If this tbo is pushing out 220 max and is laggy, in which way would this be better over a F&^*&^(

standard RB25 turbo!???

I have mates pushing 200-210 from standard 33 turbos and they have awsome downlow power....

This whole thing is getting really annoying...

Edited by Dean_HR31

how was the car going when purchased?

thats dennis' brothers car isnt it?

man if the turbo is shit when i tune it on my car i'm gona f*kn OD!

he was the one who recommended it to me as i was told that car was really good with that turbo.. and your stating otherwise.. i'm getting frustrated lol

I cant see why it would be the fuel pump though, since its brand new & was just put in before the tune by

the guy tuning the car!

From that, its pretty plain as day :)

If thats one of the things you changed, you start there.

If your going to the length of printing this out for your tuner, seriously... go find someone with an idea.

They clearly dont and you wont ever get the best result if they cant do some basic troubleshooting

alot of the creatd motorsport cars run them, im runing them, dean is, my brother is and a few other cars are, they idle and run perfectly :)