SAU Community

Is This Right For A Stagea?

joshsmum00

Im back again with another question. we took this stagea S1 for a drive it drove really nicely.

Anyway it had a quarter of a tank we drove about 10kms and fuel gauge went from a quarter to being empty, we didnt give it a hard time or anything like that just drove it gently gave two ups and gos pushs thats it but we didnt give it a hard time to go like htat..

Are stagea normally like that? It really has put us of from buying a stagea..

shell

shell

Fuel economy isn't the Stagea's strong point for sure but 1/4 to zip in 10mins is a bit sus. Did you ask the seller about it?

I have noticed the fuel gauge in mine can do weird things - like the first half of a full tank can take 300kms to get through, and then the last half of a tank will only last for 100-150km's so it may just be it was parked on an angle before you drove it and it was giving a falsely high reading.

The best thing to do is go back and take it for a second drive to see if it does the same thing.

Dont take this to mean that the fuel economy is that bad that you can watch the guage moving!!

What you witnessed is the way Nissan do their guages. The last 1/4 of a tank is not the same as the first 3/4. You will find that if you split up your mileage between each 1/4 of the tank, you will get different km's in each.

So if you get say 480km when it reaches the Empty mark (roughly 58L) - this is about what I get, your "mileage" may vary...

At 3/4 tank that would be about 150km

At 1/2 it would be about 280km

At 1/4 it would be about 400km

and then the last 1/4 always goes a lot quicker, in my example, just an extra 80km on the last 1/4.

You'll also notice the last 1/4 even LOOKS a lot smaller on the guage - never knew why cos it doesn't really make sense.

The above figures are approximate but pretty close to what I have seen...

What I also notice is that the guage may be different from between when I park the car one day and starting it the next. Usually, the guage goes UP a tiny bit when I next hop in the car - which is a nice surprise.

At the other end of the scale - it tends to stay "above" the Full mark until about 80km and then marches on down to the 3/4 mark...weird.

Most stageas should get between 420-500km by the time it hits the Empty mark. I should also point out that stageas have a 68L fuel tank so even at empty you IN THEORY have an extra 10L to go...but I wouldn't push it. :stupid:

I'm pretty sure all nissan guages are pretty similar. Once you get used to how they work its not too bad :laugh:

Edited by pixel8r

I get a similar thing on mine. Seems to go for ages, I think that Iam doing well in the economy, then in no time the guage drops from 1/4 to fuel light in 10 km. nothing to worry about. Hey there is an upside to the Stagea's (lack of) fuel economy around town. I get about 400km around town, 420 if I drive careful. But I get over 500 on a run. So that means that I can go for a 80km drive at 100km every tankful for no extra cost!! Whooo Hooo free crusin' :laughing-smiley-014:

pixel8r you must really watch your gauge! Hopefully when I get my S2 it will get the same consumption as yours.

Dont take this to mean that the fuel economy is that bad that you can watch the guage moving!!

What you witnessed is the way Nissan do their guages. The last 1/4 of a tank is not the same as the first 3/4. You will find that if you split up your mileage between each 1/4 of the tank, you will get different km's in each.

So if you get say 480km when it reaches the Empty mark (roughly 58L) - this is about what I get, your "mileage" may vary...

At 3/4 tank that would be about 150km

At 1/2 it would be about 280km

At 1/4 it would be about 400km

and then the last 1/4 always goes a lot quicker, in my example, just an extra 80km on the last 1/4.

You'll also notice the last 1/4 even LOOKS a lot smaller on the guage - never knew why cos it doesn't really make sense.

The above figures are approximate but pretty close to what I have seen...

What I also notice is that the guage may be different from between when I park the car one day and starting it the next. Usually, the guage goes UP a tiny bit when I next hop in the car - which is a nice surprise.

At the other end of the scale - it tends to stay "above" the Full mark until about 80km and then marches on down to the 3/4 mark...weird.

Most stageas should get between 420-500km by the time it hits the Empty mark. I should also point out that stageas have a 68L fuel tank so even at empty you IN THEORY have an extra 10L to go...but I wouldn't push it. :ermm:

I'm pretty sure all nissan guages are pretty similar. Once you get used to how they work its not too bad :)

Mine is about the same as Pixel8r where get about 150kms for 1st quarter, then another 150kms for the 2nd quarter (so 300kms in total), then around 120 or so for the next quarter (so 420kms) and then around 100kms for the last quarter.

Usually get over 500kms per tank but don't let it get to the low fuel light though

Yeah basically what everyone else has said. But stageas can vary a lot in fuel economy from car to car but what you saw wasn't unusual. Happens to me most times when I get that low. I find that if I boot it around a bit it will drop but park it up and leave it sit for a bit (or even just drive it gently for a while) and it will go up again. The last quater does seem to go down pretty quick though. I usually get to around 120 - 150kms on the first quater (takes ages to move off full then falls pretty quick) then usually about 210 - 230 on half then about 360 on the last quater then by the empty mark its usually on 400 - 430kms. This is based on easy around town driving. Highway is better usually unless I do a lot of over taking and ofcourse spirited driving then you can watch the guage drop. But like everyone else here is saying don't worry too much about it. And there is always things you can do to improve the fuel economy anyway. A SAFC is the best place to start.

I find in my s1 it will hang around the halfway mark quite a while and drop really fast down to the 1/4 tank marking then hang around there for a good while.

It often pisses me off cause when I leave it sit in the garage overnight which was reading 1/4 when I pulled in, the next day when I hop in its back up to 3/8ths or sometimes even higher.

I've had my car for a year now and i havent had the low fuel light up yet i dont know if it works or not i get it to the mark just above E and get scared ill run out n fill it up. my milage is the same as pixel8r 300 for the first half gauge 150-200 for the secong half

Im back again with another question. we took this stagea S1 for a drive it drove really nicely.

Anyway it had a quarter of a tank we drove about 10kms and fuel gauge went from a quarter to being empty, we didnt give it a hard time or anything like that just drove it gently gave two ups and gos pushs thats it but we didnt give it a hard time to go like htat..

shell

if you're looking for something thats frugal on fuel.....then i agree with u...don't buy a stagea

u could prolly get like 1000k's per tank in something like a toyota prius...if u can live with driving a deadbeat ugly car.

if you're looking for something thats frugal on fuel.....then i agree with u...don't buy a stagea

u could prolly get like 1000k's per tank in something like a toyota prius...if u can live with driving a deadbeat ugly car.

*cough*bullsh1t*cough

Don't buy a hybrid car - they are just a ploy to make people think the big car companies care about the environment whilst they are actually stuffing it up more!

F'r instance - how environmentally friendly are all those stuffed lead acid batteries gonna be in 10 years time? And did you know that there are actually a brace of diesel engined powered cars in Europe that get a lot better milage and put out less emmisions than a hybrid?

Its a conspiracy I tells ya!

Oh, and Stagea use a LOT of fuel but what do you expect for a big heavy 4WD with all the fruit?

You'll find that a properly tuned stagea has about the same fuel economy as aussie wagons. On the highway they use a bit more, but around town I find the fuel usage to be pretty comparable to say commodore wagons or falcon wagons. :thumbsup:

The problem we have is that stageas are designed for japanese fuel, and they are also I suppose leaning towards the "high performance" category...so I think the fuel economy we get is quite reasonable all things considered. :P

i agree with pixel8r. gets they same as my mates commo wagon cept it eats his round corners and in a straight line. i reckon its well worth it.

*cough*bullsh1t*cough

Don't buy a hybrid car - they are just a ploy to make people think the big car companies care about the environment whilst they are actually stuffing it up more!

F'r instance - how environmentally friendly are all those stuffed lead acid batteries gonna be in 10 years time? And did you know that there are actually a brace of diesel engined powered cars in Europe that get a lot better milage and put out less emmisions than a hybrid?

Its a conspiracy I tells ya!

Oh, and Stagea use a LOT of fuel but what do you expect for a big heavy 4WD with all the fruit?

just to add to this

it actually costs more in resources , production and engineering costs to manufacture these cars.

I could give you the figures on how much it costs to make a prius , but ill spare toyota the negative press

Holden are spending big dollars on developing a a diesel powered commodore

You want fuel efficiency ? buy a diesel

Just wanted to know if the shape of the stag's fuel tank plays any part of the consumption ? i havn't had a look at my tank yet but i do find that if i put $20 in, it takes it to just above the first quater and it eats through that like wild fire. Does the tank get smaller toward the bottom or is it just a guage issue?