SAU Community

Installing Cruise Control Q's

Hairy_Harold

Hopefully mid next week I will have my hands on a 97 rs 4 dayz stagea and was wondering what the possibility of finding the factory cruise control gear would be? I've done a bit of a google search and ebay search for skyline and stagea cruise control gear but to no avail. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Edited by Hairy_Harold

All i know is, that S1 did not have factory cruise control, so you will be looking for a cruise control unit out of an S2 and i highly doubt you will find a factory cruise control unit.

You will probably be better of going for an aftermarket item

aftermarket one in my s2 is great and looks stock with the steering wheel controls

Hey Mike,

A picture of the unit on the steering wheel and details of make/model would be great.

Yeah do a search, Ian sused out a great one aaages ago, I started a thread on this very subject and it has heaps of info in it. :)

I have one fitted by Cruisewest, it is great, use it all the time. Fairly accurate, cost $640... well worth it IMO. It is a paddle on the steering wheel. I am sure that I have saved that much money in being able to thumb my nose at police camera's. Only been done once, (motor bike cop with Laser), cause I got pissed off by a slow driver, and overtook on freeway with foot on floor, luckily the cop only got me for 111km/h...... if he'd been a bit quicker...... well let's just say that the std brakes are fine from about 160km/h...., so although cruise control's don't stop you speeding...... they sure help. I like to use mine in the 40km/h school zones, as well as normal 60km/h zones.... it's so funny watching how many people get pissed off, (behind me). Then I can feel smug... cause all I have to do is boot it..... but as confucious say.... real power is having the power but choosing not to use it. (yeah so you've got an SV8...... who cares?... whooosh!) :laughing-smiley-014:

For info check out http://www.autron.com.au/newweb/index1280.htm

and just for Hugh, they have fitters all over the country..... tell them that they will have to fit an auxiliary brake switch though.

here's what it looks like....

(it's a Nissan Xtrail, but it is similar)

post-30601-1180789609_thumb.jpg

Oh BTW... Nissan in their wisdom, never fitted a cruise control (not even in the Prime edition ....how stupid!!) ...maybe 'cos most JDM cars never got over 50km/h..... or run for more than a few kms!!!

Edited by Appealing

I've got a 66yo lead foot and really would like to get a well valued, reliable CC unit.

Who knows the best place to suss one out?

give me a ring. I do them. (see sig.)

Yeah do a search, Ian sused out a great one aaages ago, I started a thread on this very subject and it has heaps of info in it. :P

yep - go find the thread as we talked about it a bit and it has pictures of mine in it. Mine is a rostra global one (from memory) - the important things are 1) it is electric (NOT VACUUM!) and 2) the controller talks to the unit via RF, so you don't need to run wires up the steering wheel etc, or use one of those stupid stalk ones. Also means I can theoretically unclip it and hand it to the wife in the passenger seat and she can press the up/down speed buttons till she is happy with how fast we are going.. :-)

Got the same units in the r34 and Stagea, never had a problem. And I sometimes do over a 1000km's in a day, so it gets used!

Ian

I installed this on my Skyline and then onto my S2 Stagea, as used by Nissan on some models, infrared unit on steering wheel, electric unit, as said before, dont get vacuum. Bought from Autobarn, installed myself, little fiddly to calibrate just right, but once thats over, it is bulletproof, and has a factory look about it. Also bolted straight into the existing throttle body setup.

http://shop.importdriver.com.au/store/prod...em309.inetstore

Edited by chook

I tend to use the electric ones on these cars - less hassle to set up properly and no vac lines to cut. not a fan of command. too fiddly. have used tge RF rostra item as well. (good for Daewoo..)