SAU Community

Rev210's 5min $5 Intake Pipe Mod For Your Stagea/skyline.

• 4 weeks later...

i wonted to use a lathe because i can then machine the aluminum tube i got

not my best idea lets just say that

the parting tool gripped and it shot out the alumilium tube almost hiting me in the head

i also f***ed up the parting tool

i ended up using a file and a hand saw and it worked but the lathe would have been far more fun

post-55544-1224080290_thumb.jpg

fitting the tube wasn't to much fun because it wouldn't fit inside the stock pipe and took me about 2-hr to fit

i used 3 inch aluminum tubing about 120cm long and i wouldn't go to much more longer

post-55544-1224082601_thumb.jpg post-55544-1224082674_thumb.jpg

over all real good mod to do

• 4 weeks later...

does anyone else besides me see this as a "patch up job" as in doing this is not fixing the fact that your airfilter/airbox/AFM is too restrictive . i mean yeah this is a good idea and it works and i will probably do it myself one day . but yeah it makes you wonder about how much vacuum the turbo is acctually generating. surely this is similar to having a blocked /under sized airfilter and we all know how bad that is for everything and good for nothing .

your thoughts ?

does anyone else besides me see this as a "patch up job" as in doing this is not fixing the fact that your airfilter/airbox/AFM is too restrictive . i mean yeah this is a good idea and it works and i will probably do it myself one day . but yeah it makes you wonder about how much vacuum the turbo is acctually generating. surely this is similar to having a blocked /under sized airfilter and we all know how bad that is for everything and good for nothing .

your thoughts ?

My thoughts...

It's not a 'patch up job'.

It's a fix.

As good as any aftermarket pipe.

Looks factory.

Gets you some bonus horsepower + prevents the pipe sucking shut (happens on higher powered cars btw not factory turbo ones)

For $5.

Here's some free tips for you that help address some of your thoughts that you may be interested in.

The AFM. It's not real restrictive until your reach the end of it's resolution and need to upgrade.

The wire mesh on the AFM.

Rip it out.

The factory air filter isn't undersized up to some decent power in terms of upgrades.

If you have a blocked factory filter get a new one.

You can smooth the insides of the factory airbox out if you get bored for some very slight gains.

Pod filters that are unshielded aren't flash, sucking in lovely hot engine bay air.

Hope that helps ;)

Edited by rev210

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

Just did this mod to my s2 r33 GTS-t.

I pulled everything out to get better access and clean everything up, it was much easier with the crossover pipe, airbox and the cooler piping out of the way.

Before doing this I was having difficulties with the car getting to 10psi. I have an r32 actuator in, but I could only ever get ~9psi showing on my gauge.

So after doing this, I get 10psi all day long. Coincidence, possibly. Fixed something inadvertently, possibly.

But for $5 you can't go wrong, do it.

My only concern is that the 'give' provided by the concertina hose section has now been lost. I feel there is a possibility that engine movement could cause the pipe to loosen off.. but I am happy to wait and see.

• 4 months later...

me and a friend did this mod today on both our cars

got the 3 inch pipe for free from an exhaust shop, had some hose clamps kicking around and only needed to buy one (~$3.50)

on his r33 with stock air box the spool noise was louder and may have been a tiny bit more responsive, benefits may be seen when he eventually ups the boost

on my stagea rs4s (manual) it was very much the same, although im running a pod it was louder again

just to add a note, you can push the pipe in a long way inside the intake pipe so it effectively smoothes out the inside of 70% of the rubber piping. good mod for minimal costs

• 7 months later...

Bumping this for a question:

On the R33 GTS-T intake, is the stock piping 2.5" from the turbo to 3" at the AFM?? I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in here, but any searches of this thread I can think of yield nothing.

My thoughts...

It's not a 'patch up job'.

It's a fix.

As good as any aftermarket pipe.

Looks factory.

Gets you some bonus horsepower + prevents the pipe sucking shut (happens on higher powered cars btw not factory turbo ones)

For $5.

Here's some free tips for you that help address some of your thoughts that you may be interested in.

The AFM. It's not real restrictive until your reach the end of it's resolution and need to upgrade.

The wire mesh on the AFM.

Rip it out.

The factory air filter isn't undersized up to some decent power in terms of upgrades.

If you have a blocked factory filter get a new one.

You can smooth the insides of the factory airbox out if you get bored for some very slight gains.

Pod filters that are unshielded aren't flash, sucking in lovely hot engine bay air.

Hope that helps :ermm:

i still stand by what i said . think for a minute how much vacuum it takes to suck that pipe closed . that adds directly to the pressure ratio your turbo has to work at . if you dont under stand pressure ratio then dont worry

i still stand by what i said . think for a minute how much vacuum it takes to suck that pipe closed . that adds directly to the pressure ratio your turbo has to work at . if you dont under stand pressure ratio then dont worry

I wouldnt think it would take much vacuum at all TBH.

The problem with going a full metal intake pipe is the reversion, so going this elimanate's this and then stops the intake pipe sucking in, i guess it comes down to power levels you are aiming for.

Id agree. If its sucking closed, pop the filter out and see if it still does it :) I always thought the suction was cased by a restriction too. Kinda like when something big gets caught in your vacuum cleaner pipe.. revs go up, and the plastic hose flexes.. haha

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so to answer my own question NO the standard intake pipe is not enough for 300rwkw. My standard intake pipe sleeved with pipe as per this thread and my car will not make more than 250rwkw where it made 279rwkw on the last dyno and you can see the pipe sucking shut near the turbo intake.

My experience is this mod is only rated to ~250rwkw.