SAU Community

Spark Plug Color?

hey guys my car studders at low rpm before boost, checked my spark plugs and the top of the electrodes looks like sandpaper gritt. I do extensive idling when on the way to work with a stock rb20det except for intake/exhaust. Half of the plug is brown/half white-ish colored. I heard a rumble when revving it, could be cas bearing, but it sort of went away. getting new sparkies soon , but they def. did not look like this before, looks unhealthy. leaking out?

my camera sucks so be patient , just look at the half and half pictures to get an idea.

post-38689-1184106485_thumb.jpg

post-38689-1184106681_thumb.jpg

its a strong running motor, i just changed spark plugs , and now it breaks up at all rpms slightly, i used delco double platinum since thats the only ones i could find today, cross referenced with pfr5a-11 .... i am using the silvia non turbo stock fuel pump with 120 km on it..... maybe it is on its way out? the plugs look overheated

• 8 months later...
white spark plug tips means its burning oil mate. could be your rings or your turbo.

brown is the ideal colour that you want from it.

is it always the case it could be rings or turbo? is it anything else it could be?

cheers

Plugs look fine to me.

Here in Adelaide we don't see extended idling so my plugs have always come out clean as a whistle.

If you want to take a better pic place the sparkys on a table and then use the macro function of your camera.

I've found 6's up to around 240rwkwish to be ok; over that they show as running too hot.

I've since changed to 7's and the plugs have a much nicer tan colour instead of the porcelin coming out near shiny looking white after a few hard runs on the dyno.

• 2 weeks later...

yep th plugs are fine. i just changed my plugs last weekend and they were similar color to yours. its just running rich, normal.

gotta be careful if the plugs are white... means its going towards a stoich/lean mixture..... stoich is good but means hotter temps which is why the plugs would be white

i use #7 plugs on mine.. people say i should use 6 but 7 is fine.

• 12 years later...

f**k knows. You can't read plugs that have been used in varying conditions. To get a proper read needs to be brand bew plugs, wide open pull, shut off straight away then read.

• Thanks 1