SAU Community

Gps Tracking

d00dz

Ermm..

Friend's bro bought a GPS Sat tracking device called "GlobalSat DG100 GPS Data Logger"

Pretty good device.

It logs where you go, logs which route you took, how you went, even logs what speed you are going!

At the end of your route you load the files into a pc and load up google earth and it maps via dots of which/where you went.

Might be good for track use maybe.. As it logs what speeds you are going within a certain speed, better than a laptop or something maybe?

This is the route I took last nite around Sydney..

post-18389-1184852173_thumb.jpg

Showing the speed logged...

post-18389-1184852524_thumb.jpg

I'm sure the police will find the 'speed log' function handy when prosecuting a driver in court for some speeding offence after an accident. lol

I'm sure the police will find the 'speed log' function handy when prosecuting a driver in court for some speeding offence after an accident. lol

Also can work in the reverse way like what Jerry and Son did to avoid prove that speed camera was wrong.

For $120 + Extra for external antenna it's not bad I reckon. Pretty funky!

easy off bam, and the grease is gone

edit; doesnt say it works with pc's so i fail :D

http://free.3dtracking.net/howcan.aspx

But who wants to carry a $500+ PDA around?

It can hold 60,000 points.

It has three modes: Walk, Run and Drive.

Walk records points every 30sec, Run is something, and Drive is every 5seconds.

So do the maths with the "drive" mode, you can store approx 83hrs of data for Drive mode and more for the other modes.

As for reception it was pretty good. But when it loses reception the device creates a new file. Last nite the device made 24 different files as I went all around Sydney. However you can attatch a external antenna to the device to boost the signal, as It was just placed on the center console when I had it running.

With the files, you load them into google earth and you can link them all together.

It also uses two AA batteries supplied with the device, you can also charge it via the USB.

Also good to see where the gf or friend has taken your car etc.. lol

easy off bam, and the grease is gone

edit; doesnt say it works with pc's so i fail :D

http://free.3dtracking.net/howcan.aspx

kinda sorta... not really.. but close! :D

But who wants to carry a $500+ PDA around?

Very good point, although a lot of people (eg. me!) actually use PocketPC mobile phones, so have to carry one around anyway. A lot of the new ones coming out now have built in GPS as well, negating the use of a big ugly CompactFlash or SD Card GPS receiver :D

It can hold 60,000 points.

It has three modes: Walk, Run and Drive.

Walk records points every 30sec, Run is something, and Drive is every 5seconds.

So do the maths with the "drive" mode, you can store approx 83hrs of data for Drive mode and more for the other modes.

As for reception it was pretty good. But when it loses reception the device creates a new file. Last nite the device made 24 different files as I went all around Sydney. However you can attatch a external antenna to the device to boost the signal, as It was just placed on the center console when I had it running.

With the files, you load them into google earth and you can link them all together.

It also uses two AA batteries supplied with the device, you can also charge it via the USB.

Also good to see where the gf or friend has taken your car etc.. lol

Sounds like a great little device!

I'm wondering if it's possible to hook this thing up to a PC and log it directly to the PC's HDD for extra storage?? I guess it depends how many hours of driving you do per week, but I'm just thinking that it might not have enough memory to store info back to say the date of a camera speeding fine... Usually they take 4-6 weeks to get posted out dont they?

I'd average about an hour and a quarter of driving per day, so thats about 9.5 weeks of data! No need to log it to the PC in that case. Where can you get these little devices from Vic?

Where can you get these little devices from Vic?

Friend's Bro got it from .tw However there is an aussie site where you can get em: http://www.expansys.com.au/p.aspx?i=149006

I'm gonna email them asking for bulk buy of these and any discounts. A few people over at OCAU have expressed interest.

Oh here is a review of them -> http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/globalsat-DG...-gps-review.php

There are two units avaliable

GlobalSat DG-100 GPS data logger - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/globalsat-DG...-gps-review.php

&

Qstarz BT-Q1000 Double 32 Bluetooth GPS Travel Recorder - http://www.digitalreviews.net/reviews/navi...recorder-r.html

Read the review etc..

The Qstarz has more memory, 100,000 points, has bluetooth, "...this will vary but with Auto on-off functions you will have some smart power control. If the bluetooth connection drops out the device goes into sleep mode".

It's $146 from ebay - http://search.ebay.com.au/Qstarz-BT-Q1000_...Q20BTQ2dQ511000

The Globalsat one has external antenna, uses AA batteries. Cheaper. $125.15 delivered. - http://www.expansys.com.au/p.aspx?i=149006&sbadd=149006

Spoke to expansys and they said they can give me free postage if 5+ is ordered. Which makes it $111.95 each pickup from me or meet at a cruise etc..

The other company said they can give me cost price depending how much we order, their RRP delivered is $169.95. So not sure what they can give? Think it's cheaper to get off ebay?

I think imma order the $111.95 one as it's cheaper. And has external antenna and uses AA batteries. Good enough for me. PM me if you want one and if we have 5+ people ill order it, otherwise just order yourself.

Would this be similar to sat tracking in that, if someone stole your car you'd know where the car is. Or do you have to turn it off and on when driving and parking up?

Yea you'll need to turn it on and off.

Though the bluethooth version allows you to turn it on and off via the bluetooth signal.

You can use it to track but thing is it doesnt send the signals out, it just logs it. So if you have one and it's on and your car is gone you'll need to get the car back to see where it went lol.

This would be cool for twisties, long road trips, checking where the gf has visited etc..

we have that at my work with the delivery drivers

if the guys are running late and they dont answer their phone i jump on the net and find out exactly where they are hahahaha. Bad luck if they're at the pub

Also can work in the reverse way like what Jerry and Son did to avoid prove that speed camera was wrong.

For $120 + Extra for external antenna it's not bad I reckon. Pretty funky!

Not quite the same thing. In both our cases no speed cameras involved. Silver eagle radar was used and in both cases the radar wasn't used to their ( cops) guidelines .

In Micks case the cop even admited it, so he relied on his expertise of visual speed estimation ( 18 years experience), he claimed in court he could estimate speed when traveling the opposite direction to the target vehicle and around the bend!!! What a looser!!! I have no idea how he thought this would stand up in court when Mick had the full GPS tracking log that showed his cars speed at one second intervals. An expert engineer was in court to confirm the accuracy of the unit (Mick was using) to have less than 1% margin of error.

Even with all this evidence the magistrate found Mick guilty as charged, the matter was won on appeal.