SAU Community

How Much Punishment Can A 200kw+ Rb20 Take?

Hey all

Just curious about all the people running 200kw+ on their RB20's

How much of a hard time did you give it before it blew? Or if it blew

What boost did you run daily?

And was it mainly track or street driven?

I'm running 182kw now and im just a few pounds from going over 200kw

Just want a rough idea of when i should start saving for a new motor lol

what mods have you got?

i'm running A top mount t04e with t3 flange rx7 injectors z32 afm aftermarket fuel pressure reg and a walbro fuel pump running at 16 psi mainly street driven but planning on taking to the creek for the first time haven't had any probs so far my mechanic reckons running 16 psi is sweet the rb20 with after market turbo can handle max 18psi but doesn't reckamend running it at 18 psi

Obviously. Who doesnt know its gonna blow if you thrash it everyday.

Im asking how much of a thrashing can they take running alot of power

From people who have experienced it

every second monday for 4 hours limiter 2nd gear skids round Port Gawler off road go kart track

for 3 months 1.2 bar 230rwkw

hks 2530 stock ecu and inj + fcd walbro pump front mount and exhaust

Kelly Mac also did 2 DA seasons on his rb20 before it died

230rwkw+

Edited by 1400r

mine has been making 330hp+ since january

few weeks back it was tuned to 405.1hp or 300kw at 26psi and last night gave it a good solid 4 hours on 24psi on some twisty roads :) daily it runs 20psi

there tough lil motors if tuned acordingly (mine has sweet fark all timing and plenty of fuel where it counts)

Some reading for you

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=103095

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...&hl=260rwkw

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=46581

Between those threads i reckon you've got a good weeks worth of reading, but it will give you a pretty firm idea.

From what ive heard they are solid engines. Roy runs 260kw on an internally stock rb20 and says it can easily handle more power without any troubles.

Here are some of his video's :laugh:

http://youtube.com/user/OZHCR32

LOL...i wouldnt use the term easily handle more power. :ermm:

But the people that have a nice turbo installed with a properly tuned ECU, injectors, fuel pump, AFM etc are reliably making that power. Wind the boost up on the std turbo with a lazy fuel pump and tsd ecu and you are just as likely to kill the motor. Or with 140rwkws and basically std everything do a 60second stationary burnout with high coolant and oil temps and inelt temps from no ariflow through the intercooler etc and you are likely to pop a std car.

I would bet a large sum of money that my car would last just as long with the boost wound down and making 200rwkws from 260rwkws...as it would with the std ecu and turbo making 140rwkws. 200rwkws if done right is a breeze for an RB20. Its not hard to do right, but its easy to do wrong :P

I've pretty much done what most of the knowledgable people on here have done

Slow and painful process though since i fix/replace/upgrade one thing and something else dies :laugh:

But its what i would expect from a 15yr old car

I've still got a few bits and pieces to add though

like a catch can and oil cooler.

Still not sure whether i'll need splitfires but ill find out once the boost goes up

Edit: i have'nt cut any corners i dont think but if anyone cares to enlighten me on what are the bad corners to be cut that would be good :ermm:

Edited by r32woohoo

Hi there, I drive an r32 with a rb20det. My car still has the standard coil's and i havnt had any trouble with them (touch wood) and my car boost's up to 1.5 bar sometimes (spiking). I run a HKS 2530 turbo, gtr 440cc inj, bosch 090 and a re-mapped ecu by Hyperdrive. Power is around the 300 hp atw. I drift this car in the wa drift series and it goes hard. I also need an oil cooler and catch can ha ha. Oh thought I might add that I know of a guy's rb20det with a 2530 that boosted momentarily at 2bar without popping ( something wasn't connected). Goes to show they can handle some high boost.

I did 4 laps of Sandown and an afternoons motorkhanas at 1.5bar and i think it was 8,600 rev limit. I did it as i needed power to make up for lack of talent :) LOL i will up the boost again when i get the chassis sorted, At the moment there is no point.

But i would consider that boost and rpm leaning on the motor, dont do it if you need it to last :) But point is, if they can go full throttle at that boost for 3minutes flat out at a time...then they are prety strong motor. Remember at the track you are foot to the floor with max load a hell of a lot more then you will ever be on the street or drifting :(

depending on the motor really... 250rwkw should be not too bad smashing it... but with 230 mate it will go for a while....

buy a bare block for 800ish if yours blows hahaha

hurry up and give me my afm back lol