SAU Community

Nistune

Crans

We tuned the car, then a few days later ran it up again and the AF curve was the same shape, but from say 12.5:1 average to 13.5:1, we were puzzled with what was going on, stuffed around a bit and cleared the computer and went back to normal, so not sure what it was "self learning" or if it can really do that but something was a bit weired. We asked pete about it and he said he never seen it before and few other people said the same, but i don't know how many people bring it back to redyno it to check. Mind you seems to be fine again now?

I have seen this on one specific ECU where it would carry the LTFT data through to open loop - real pain in the arse. There is another PID than just AF learning I think it is AF correction and the only scan tool I've seen that can pick it up is the Nissan version of MDM100.

Also how is it doing boost control in a BNR32 ECU is it a single row of DC?? I have used the std boost control throught the s14 ECU but didn't know it was possible in the BRN32 ECU - but I've never really looked for it.

what about using a z32 ecu, have you played with this option yet, if you can get it to work in sure a lot of 33 owners would be interested.

if your on a budget and dont mind compromise i am happy to do the Z32 and R32 ecu's into R33 but PFC is a better option (IN r33 rb25det).

anyone?

All I can think of, is i've been led to beleive the R33 GTR makes more torque than the R32 GTR because of the ecu, so by going with the R32 ecu, you'll be working with the R32 basetune instead of the R33 one.

anyone?

Why R32 ecu? From what I understand they have issues with the TPS sensor, cannot control the NVICS system and contrary to popular belief are not straight plug in ( need to switch inj 4 & 6).

There are advantages I can see going this way is that you get to use both knock sensors and exhaust temp sensor.

Much better alternative is the Z32 ecu imo.

interested in the nistune for my r33, so what is the compromise by using the r32 ecu? how much it it to go this way

Additional wiring is needed for an RB20 TPS for improved driveability, idle control, return to idle, etc, and a cheap VCT such as Buddy Club VCT controller etc can be used for the cam timing control, but it can be done to provide a reasonably good result. The best option is a remap of the R33 ECU - Nistune software can be used with an emulator, but not the functionality of Nistune boards in terms of simply pluggling the cable in and away you go, data is still required to be put onto an eprom when done. Any other real time emulation for 256k eproms can be used once the RB25 ECU is modified. Unfortuantely, when the dollar was still strong the RB25 boards were expensive, even more so now... But still cheaper option than trying to spurce a R33 GTST Power FC which are usually priced according to their construction of unobtainium.

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys, read through all the threads, I have an R33 and like everyone else I'm keen on the NIStune setup. I see you can use teh Z32 ecu's and have them chipped, other than the cost of the set up, whats the compromise going with the Z32 configuration? (Yes I know you have to redo the wiring slightly) but performance wise? configuration?

Cheers,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

But have they got it working with the stock boost control solenoid? I know they got it to work with an S15 but last time I spoke to Pete he said they hadn't worked it out yet for R32 GTR.

Trent have you got any updates from Matt or Pete? I might have to give Pete a buzz now hahaha!

Im not certain, although it is in theory possible if you reconfigure the vacuum hose layout, and fit needed restrictors, although without a map sensor, i cant see there being accurate closed loop boost control, as different airflows make different boost with different Intake temps.

This might be slightly off-topic, but I'm curious if anyone knows how nistune compares to one of its rivals - bikirom. It seems to have additional options like boost control (with a solenoid addon) and generally seems like a pretty mature product.

How do nistune and bikirom compare generally, how do they compare for usability and tunability - are they tuned in the same way?

Right now i'm trying to toss up between these two options, and I can't find any real direct comparisons. Another frustration is it seems as though the major workshops are doing nistune remaps/tuning, but nobody specifically mentions bikirom, so I'm trying to get some ideas if someone who can do one can do the other ...

Any help / thoughts / ideas are appreciated :)