SAU Community

Semi-synthetic Oil Servicing?

hey guys

looking at purchasing a 33 series 2,

however the guys says he only services every 10,000k, because he uses semi-synthetic oils

everyone else claims to service theirs every 5,000k, using what i assume are synthetic oils

whats the go? is it alright to only service every 10,000k?

thanks

Edited by anomaly

i think its a personal choice really, i get my r34 gt done every 5,000km's but the engine is quite tired and i wanna try and reduce nething to go wrong by getting it checked regulary(and due to the fact i can do up to 500kms a week sometimes)

hey semi synthetic oils or fully synthetic oils last no longer than a conventional mineral based oil they just offer superior protection but still need replacing at regular intervals. most owners of performance cars change every 5K but that is just to offer their car the best protection they can. it is up to you wether you choose to change every 5 or 10. i know some new cars are going 15 between manafacturing servicing i just can't work out why anyone would even let it go that many with no change.

I guess it is Ok to go 10,000 but just keep in mind, turbos give oil a hard time, and if the car is driven in anger (don't kid yourself, it's a performance car for exactly that), the oil is given a hard time more often, so you want the oil changed before it starts to degrade.

Servicing every 5,000 ensures this doen't happen. So while 10,000 is not excessive and may be OK, 5,000 is better.

If you're servicing every 5000kms and the oil looks the same when it comes out as when it went in, then you're probably over-servicing.

Most late model cars now only require servicing every 10,000kms.

Personally I use fully synthetic oils and I wont be changing the oil any more often than every 10,000kms. My car is a 99 model with low kms though so with a 10-15 yo car it might pay to service it a little more often. Its your call.

A lot of people are just paranoid that if they drive a km over 5000 km their engine is gonna blow up.

Servicing every 5000km is going to make buying synthetic oil very expensive. Personally I'd rather change the oil every 10,000kms with fully synthetic oil than every 5000 with mineral oil. Just my opinion...

i have had my non turbo r33 for 7 months and done around 15,000k's i didnt get it serviced when i first got it. i really think i should get it serviced =/ the last thing i want to do is hurt my baby

its one of those things i keep putting off *slaps himself across the head*, what should be changed at the 100,000k service?