SAU Community

Wanting To Buy Gtr R33

Hey people,

I have come to to this forum for some answers.

Atm I own a Nissan Pulsar SSS. I wish to move on from this and get a turboed vehicle. I am 21 years old and thinking of getting a R33 GTR as an import. My aim with this car would be to leave the engine pretty much stock (maybe exhaust and fmic) but that is about it.

I have some questions about them though:

1. I do a trip from sydney to brisbane at least once a year, are they ok for highway driving??

2. I just read through the thread on breakages and there were a few RB26DETT's in there broken. I realise they would be an expensive car to fix but do they break often or if I leave it stock would it be prone to breakages.

3. Daily driver?? I drive about 15km a day to work and back. Do they just need a bit of an open up every now and again.

I will ask anymore if I think of any but any help is appreciated as this is a big decision to make.

Also this is my situation, R33 GTR = dream car, I could get a 98 Gtst or a wrx (02-03 model, so abit newer than a gtst) or an evo 6. What would you choose? I will be using car for the occasional trackday.

Thanks

Hey people,

Atm I own a Nissan Pulsar SSS. I wish to move on from this and get a turboed vehicle. I am 21 years old and thinking of getting a R33 GTR as an import. My aim with this car would be to leave the engine pretty much stock (maybe exhaust and fmic) but that is about it.

1. I do a trip from sydney to brisbane at least once a year, are they ok for highway driving??

2. I just read through the thread on breakages and there were a few RB26DETT's in there broken. I realise they would be an expensive car to fix but do they break often or if I leave it stock would it be prone to breakages.

3. Daily driver?? I drive about 15km a day to work and back. Do they just need a bit of an open up every now and again.

I will ask anymore if I think of any but any help is appreciated as this is a big decision to make.

Also this is my situation, R33 GTR = dream car, I could get a 98 Gtst or a wrx (02-03 model, so abit newer than a gtst) or an evo 6. What would you choose? I will be using car for the occasional trackday.

Thanks

Before you go any further - get an estimate for insurance. This may just put a stop to everything.

To answer your questions

1. Yes. But you may get a back ache if you are tall.

2. They break because people crank stupid amounts of hp out of them. They also break because they can be badly maintained and/or abused. They are a very solid motor if left in standard spec, oiling issues aside.

3. Yeah, why not. 15kms is fine. Just don't wreck the seat getting in & out all the time.

I find they are fine for daily driving if they are stock-ish.

Mine with 660cc injectors is a pig on fuel, but apart from that its very reliable.

It wouldn't have a problem with the highway driving, and if you treat it well you wont have that many problems with breakages. When something does go wrong though, expect to pay through the nose.

Insurance was my first point of call, i am a rating 1 and was 2900 with just cars. Lucky I earn $52k a year lol

How are they on fuel or is mostly a case of depends on your right foot, and what are the oiling issues?

Edited by WANTR33

Insurance was my first point of call, i am a rating 1 and was 2900 with just cars. Lucky I earn $52k a year lol

How are they on fuel or is mostly a case of depends on your right foot, and what are the oiling issues?

if you are in WA try HBF for insurance. It's amazingly cheap for me though i am 8 years older than you.

Go for the GTR just make sure you get it looked at closely before buying it. I bought my GTST when I was your age. It cost me equal to one years gross salary. It was quite a leap for me given how frugal I was at that age however I have never looked back and enjoyed every drive since.

GTR is a great car and already comes with a FMIC stock.

The GTR is prone to breakdowns when pushed hard. If you find a model with replaced turbo's it would probably save you the expence of doing it youself.

I've used mine as a daily driver, but now only 2 to 3 times a week. No probs except for fuel usage.

If you have a dream any other car would never come up to expectations. Get the GTR.

GTR is a great car and already comes with a FMIC stock.

The GTR is prone to breakdowns when pushed hard. If you find a model with replaced turbo's it would probably save you the expence of doing it youself.

I've used mine as a daily driver, but now only 2 to 3 times a week. No probs except for fuel usage.

If you have a dream any other car would never come up to expectations. Get the GTR.

Why are they prone to breakdowns? Is this because what is said above oil issues? Or just because ppl boost them up?? What km's do the turbos start to fail etc?? I would hope to get one with less than 100000km.

Hey people,

Thanks

1) I've driven mine from Sydney down to Sheperton to DECA twice and except for the fact that 7 hours in a GTR will kill your back I was fine.

2) I have a stock motor except for an external oil cooler ( a must for track work). Mine is on the track or at a kahana once a month though I (my mechanic actually) take very good care of it. No issues at all around breakage. Of course if you thrash and abuse it, expect that not to be the case.

3) I don't see why?

You won't regret getting a GTR. IMHO 33's are probably the best value as many of the 32 are getting old and the 34 still cost twice as much. You should be able to find a nice one for 30K or so.

Thanks for that, I have found an importer which will import one for 30-35k, I just have to specify my budget. Thats with a 3yr warranty, rego'd, complianced etc.

Thanks for the comments guys I am just a bit funny with the whole import thing and not being able to check out the car, dont want it breaking a few km from the importer.

Thanks for that, I have found an importer which will import one for 30-35k, I just have to specify my budget. Thats with a 3yr warranty, rego'd, complianced etc.

Thanks for the comments guys I am just a bit funny with the whole import thing and not being able to check out the car, dont want it breaking a few km from the importer.

Forget it, get one already here. I take a guess and say the warranty is somewhat useless as it only pays for part of the repairs EG $500 per turbo where they cost $1400 + fitting. You are not getting a new car warranty.

Lots of issues with importing. You can get a local one from $25K

Hey people,

Thanks

Hi champ, i just bought one.. best thing i have ever done!! unbelievable car, the only thing i find wrong with it, is the speeding fines, lots of ppl look at u while u drive :P , and the fact that i find it very difficult to drive it normally, they just want to fly, you feel like you are driving a car on rails when you turn corners, and as fast as they go, they have the braking power to match it.

i am a gtr creamer!!, prob i would think, is which car do u go to from there..

stock is best i say, ps they have a black FMIC, don't change the stock GTR one.. :unsure:

Edited by GTarghh33

Your importer is ripping you off at that price. There are a lot of GTR's already in Australia, registered complied and without the 8-12 week wait to get it on the road. I would say budget 30k and get yourself a good local car, i just sold mine just under 30k with a fresh built engine with forged internals. It was a 96 series 2 in mint condition. When i was looking to buy there were a lot of cars around the 30k mark and even cheaper with a bit of negotiation.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my R33 V-Spec about a month and half ago. Fantastic car! Best I've ever driven. I've been wanting one for yonks!

I daily drive mine about 15k's. I also found that daily driving it does chew through the petrol (of course mine is pretty heavily modified). I does ok on longer trips though as long as you stay off the boost.

Best luck!

Hey people,

Thanks

1. I drove mine 1400km from Adelaide to Sydney and had no problems. Make sure you don't pick a loud exhaust though or it quickly gets tiring to listen to.

2. If left stock and well maintained they last forever.

3. Be gentle with it till the oil temp meter starts moving and you'll be fine. They like a bit of petrol in city traffic though.

Man you don't need to mod a GTR used as a daily driver :P

It'd be powerful enough on the streets, and lots of fun on the odd track day.

Listen to the other guys: if you mod it it guzzles fuel and the motor becomes more prone to breakages.

Insurance will go up, just modding it will cost heaps (esp. labour too), the attention on a nice GTS-T is bad enough so a GTR would be difficult to live with at times.

Lastly, don't import if you can help it. I was gonna import my R33 but at the last minute i bought one from a car yard. Paid a couple grand extra though i took it for a thrash, popped the hood, stuck my head in the wheel wells, asked the dealer heaps of Q's etc etc, then i paid for it.

Can't do that when you import.