SAU Community

Targa Tas '08, Whos Running, Discussion Etc

Marlin

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Thatcher/Just Jap and looking after preparation.

Based on limited exposure to the car and limited time for development I doubt much will be done to it... should be half a thing even standard though.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on "the" cars to have for the new showroom class.

Maybe you could list them here? 2WD and 4WD... what do you need to win it? Keep in mind the 5yr age limit, Australian availability/minimum numbers, and 80k new price limit.

I'll go out on a limb here;

4WD - Evo 9 or 2.5L Sti (who cares, they're all butter boxes)

2WD - BMW 130i (or looming 135i if it sneaks under 80k)

Off topic, but was that you driving at the twilight meet Ben?

i was standing on the hairpin with a photographer mate of mine (unusual spot), if so you were putting in some solid laps!

That blue GTR certainly couldn't catch you!

Yep that was me, almost rear ended Jimmy Richards old 993 Turbo on the first run, still using our tyres from Targa.

Was abit of Targa history on the track, Targa 99 winning and runner up cars. Still finished in the same order on the day though :)

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on "the" cars to have for the new showroom class.

Maybe you could list them here? 2WD and 4WD... what do you need to win it? Keep in mind the 5yr age limit, Australian availability/minimum numbers, and 80k new price limit.

I'll go out on a limb here;

4WD - Evo 9 or 2.5L Sti (who cares, they're all butter boxes)

2WD - BMW 130i (or looming 135i if it sneaks under 80k)

2WD Astra Turbo... Cam McConville '03 or '04 10th outright.

Showroom class eh. So does that mean all the RS Evo's bought through Ralliart are precluded? If yes I would consider going up against Greg Burrows & the rest. But if we are running against lightweight $43k mech diff models with the porky AYC GSR Oz complianced model - No contest.

Maybe MP & SB might consider that over a beer

TT984

RS and C-Spec are eligible for 4WD Showroom... there are issues and opportunities either way with inclusion or exclusion.

If I were driving I'd pick a 350Z for 2WD, but needs a top shelf driver to do well (not me!)... for a real result a Mazda3 MPS with rally pedigree driver would be v-hard to beat.

130i too heavy, 135i too pricey, Focus XR5T and RX8 too slow. I like the idea of DSG R32 Golf, but suspect a weight issue.

Running an oiler would be an interesting option too... been driving a Mazda3 diesel and have they got torque or what!

RS and C-Spec are eligible for 4WD Showroom... there are issues and opportunities either way with inclusion or exclusion.

If I were driving I'd pick a 350Z for 2WD, but needs a top shelf driver to do well (not me!)... for a real result a Mazda3 MPS with rally pedigree driver would be v-hard to beat.

130i too heavy, 135i too pricey, Focus XR5T and RX8 too slow. I like the idea of DSG R32 Golf, but suspect a weight issue.

Running an oiler would be an interesting option too... been driving a Mazda3 diesel and have they got torque or what!

Ok point taken, 9% better power to weight to the 350.

130i - 1,375kg/190kw = 7.23 kg/kw

350Z Track - 1509kg/228kw = 6.62kg/kw

Although, having seen quite a few 350's not do so well at Targa (with some good peddlers), I still reckon that a 130 could work. Less twitchy due to better wheelbase to track ratio, lighter starting point so should be easier on tyres, and just plain smaller physically so it's easier to get a "racing" line through the tighter corners.

Although to be honest, with my driving skills, I'd still stick to one of these new and quick front wheel drive thingys. Much more forgiving in general and less tiring at full pace. So yeh, MPS would be my choice (not to mention I was stunned at Rick Bates' great effort in '07).

As for an Golf R32 DSG, wouldn't get within cooeee of an Sti or Evo.

Any word on some good cars to enter the 2WD section, let alone a facotry 2WD team? I saw Mazda's two Targa cars for sale in Unique Cars. Pug's just don't do it for me

I've heard talks of some factory teams for the 4WD section.

Edited by sav man

Any word on some good cars to enter the 2WD section, let alone a facotry 2WD team? I saw Mazda's two Targa cars for sale in Unique Cars. Pug's just don't do it for me

I've heard talks of some factory teams for the 4WD section.

i'm working on this at the moment.

solid interest in both 2 and 4wd camps from factory teams and some cars currently being build.

expect details in the new year when drivers are confirmed.

• 1 month later...

We were bord today so we drive the day 2 leg. The new Rossarden stage is good, it'll be hard on brakes, the first bit is realy fast, and teh 2nd is all steep down hill (and no railing to stop you landing in the vally below). I'd advise not to get out of the car near Rossarden, and especialy in Rossarden, you could get murdered (people do go missing there all the time), even if you need a piss :P