SAU Community

Famous Classic Car Insurance

I changed from Heath Lambert to Famous. My premium had gone up $1000 in 2 years with no claims and rating 1 clean history with Lambert. Famous have been great thus far!!!! Cheaper premium with better cover, excellent customer service and received everything in the mail 3 days after the policy started!!!!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with famous. no claims (touch wood). Robyn and Tommy were helpful and gave me the best price for my car.

I'm pretty happy with what I've read on this thread in regards to their reputation.

P.S. I got my policy / receipt within a week of signing up for those who didn't get it.

I contacted FAMOUS about insurance for my new GTR and they told me that the quote that I got of $3500 was good from JUST CARS! I was hoping to spend less than that but seeings though I can not get any other company to insure the vehicle, I will have to go with them as I pick my car up in 2 weeks.

I have 40% no-claim no accident or claims history. I know it's an expensive car, but $3500 is alot of money for anyone to pay, just for peice of mind most of the time.

Cheers

Mick.

I just spoke with the guys at Famous again and I confirmed my 2 doubts - my car isn't listed as "limited use" (it's "daily" even though I told them I only drive it around 3 times a week, so that's good), and also I am able to choose my own repairer. So it's all good and I've now paid for the policy.

interesting, i rang stated which car i'd like to insure (r31 gts-x) was told that unless im 29 or over they wouldnt insure me

cargear on other hand said soon as im 21 i can get insurance with them without hassle. so find car now, import by time arrives its my birthday hehe

I rang them to follow up on my policy - They had me on file and are sending out my schedule - No problemo - Very nice on the phone

**** man .. this is a story for ya .. i'm with Young and ****in cool ... i have a full excess under my name ... anyways i was hit by someone the other day ... now they make me go and call dawes cause they moved my policy to them without even ****in telling me ... **** dodgy ****s ... anyways ... because the repair bill is just under my excess they don't want to speak to me anymore ... **** that ... my excess is over 2k ... 2k is not a small claim ... i'm giving them 200 a month for this kind of service??? they can go **** themselves ... as soon as this matter is settled ... i will be insured by someone else ... what kind of service is this??

Sounds about right.

You should have known what your excess was when you signed your policy. If you didn't let that be a good lesson for you.

Why would you want to make a claim if the repair is less than your excess?

Originally posted by B-Man

I rang them to follow up on my policy - They had me on file and are sending out my schedule - No problemo - Very nice on the phone

I got a copy of my policy even before I had paid :) I got the quote and told them I'd take it, but would pay next week. I was expecting to get a copy after I'd paid for the policy but it arrived in the mail 2 days later. I'd say yours was a one-off mistake or Australia Post losing mail.

i know what my excess is ... i accept it .. but what i'm complaining about is this level of customer service ... they're not even going to do anything ... the accident wasn't even my fault ... they are my insurer ... i thought it was on them to help me no matter what the damage is being big or small.. guess i was wrong ...

Hippy, you're right, if the accident isn't your fault and you can identify the other party then your insurance company should take care of everything and not charge you a cent. Famous have a fautless claim clause which does exactly that.

IMO asking someone to fork up the excess even if the accident isn't their fault, and then refunding them once they get the money from the other party is exceedingly dodgy.

Originally posted by hippy

i know what my excess is ... i accept it .. but what i'm complaining about is this level of customer service ... they're not even going to do anything ... the accident wasn't even my fault ... they are my insurer ... i thought it was on them to help me no matter what the damage is being big or small.. guess i was wrong ...

Oops, sorry mate... Didn't see the part about it not being your fault... I guess it got hidden amongst all those asterisks :)

In that case, you shouldn't have to pay a cent, and they should pay for the repairs and chase up the other guy's insurance company for reimbursement...

In some cases, they ask you to pay the excess first to get the ball rolling, and they will refund you the money after the Police report gets filed and you are cleared of any fault... It's a bother trying to find $2000, but it does speed up your repairs if you're 100% sure you won't be found at fault.

Heres a pickle :)

ive had 3rd party for 1 year, under my name, my car, no claims.

My last 'at fault' accident was around 2.5/3 years ago,

Im currently listed as a driver on a policy under my parents name, for their cars,

now, whats my NCB rating :)

i totally agree with your opinion jimx ... WTF are u paying them for then??? i thought that part of the premiums was for the service ... they are all happy and shit when they take money from my account every month ...

Originally posted by Brody

Heres a pickle :)

ive had 3rd party for 1 year, under my name, my car, no claims.

My last 'at fault' accident was around 2.5/3 years ago,

Im currently listed as a driver on a policy under my parents name, for their cars,

now, whats my NCB rating :)

if you're a NAMED driver and do not hold the policy in your own name, you have no NCB. If you are with, say, GIO, they have their own *INTERNAL* NCB schemes.

They told me that they give me an increase in my GIO NCB at half the normal rate of increase (e.g. 1yr no claims normally means 10% increase, but I get 5%). If I get my own car and get a GIO policy under my own name, they will honour my internal GIO NCB, so I don't have to start from scratch.

But it doesn't mean jack to any other insurance company. It's their discretion whether or not to honour it.

Hope this helps.