SAU Community

Motor's Test Of The New Evo X

Smurf

Hey all,

Just read Motor's test of the new Evo X. I was quite shocked to find out that power is to remain at 206 kw while torque increases to 422nm from 400nm.

They did some rough acceleration testing (to the dismay of the Mitsu officials) that showed that it was very similar to the previous Evo. All the technology has been retained and somewhat improved.

There was a lot more to the article however in summary it seems as though it is not the revelation I was expecting. Sure the appearance has changed for the good however with the added weight and no more power performance is expected to be retained at Evo IX levels. I am no Evo fan but do acknowledge the cars to be amazing performers.

I am personally disappointed and so too will enthusiasts in my opinion.

After seeing one in the flesh, i think they look great. It's the same with the new WRX though, No power upgrade. It will be interesting to see who runs them in Targa Tas next Year.

I was thinking the same. At the moment it is the Evo that is the weapon of choice however with the increase in weight and the decrease in the WRX's weight (assumably the STi will follow suit), the tables might turn.

yeah more power would be good. but evos already run very high boost from standard. 1.2 or 1.3 bar from memory.

Motor tested them they were up and over 18psi at full boost. Quite a lot for a factory car.

I thought they would do more for the Evo X, maybe they are saving it for later models of this shape? I do like the new look of it though, much preferred to Subaru's attempt at changing the placement of the product.

they are probably also looking at retaining engine life rather than just going for outright power. honda did that with the s2000. they could've had it rev much higher than 10,000rpm, but at the expense of engine life.

There was a lot more to the article however in summary it seems as though it is not the revelation I was expecting. Sure the appearance has changed for the good however with the added weight and no more power performance is expected to be retained at Evo IX levels. I am no Evo fan but do acknowledge the cars to be amazing performers.

I am personally disappointed and so too will enthusiasts in my opinion.

I wouldn't base my judgement of the car upon just one source of review. Look for reviews from Japan or the UK motoring press. And don't worry about the power output just yet Mitsubishi always bring out the light weight, boosted versions soon after.

Were they any remarks regarding the twin clutch system?

I wouldn't base my judgement of the car upon just one source of review. Look for reviews from Japan or the UK motoring press. And don't worry about the power output just yet Mitsubishi always bring out the light weight, boosted versions soon after.

Were they any remarks regarding the twin clutch system?

Yes the test drove the twin clutch system and spoke very highly of it.

In relation to your remark about them bringing out boosted versions later, does Australia get these or just the UK? I always thought we received just one version.

Getting power from an EVO is so bloody easy i agree with 666DAN, 206 kw WTF, the reason why they run so much boost because the cams they use are so restricted its not funny to meet emmission laws, you put a set of cams in an evo with FMIC, exhaust, ecu, you have an 11sec weapon, my mechanis has the evo ix and with ecu only tune that he did he went and ran a 12.8 1/4 at eastern creek so shit all factory just an ecu tune with existing car.

no power??

that can be easerly fix

It's true, and an interesting point, it's the most discussed topic with regard to new performance cars, but if the hardware is right probably the easiest fixed too (Japanese gentleman's agreement proves that this era).

2 things...why do Mitsu stick with the old J-Gov bullsht 206kw rule when it has been phased out and then make the new car 100Kg heavier...fo fk sake we need a 240kw Evo if its going to weigh 1500 porky Kg's

2 things...why do Mitsu stick with the old J-Gov bullsht 206kw rule when it has been phased out and then make the new car 100Kg heavier...fo fk sake we need a 240kw Evo if its going to weigh 1500 porky Kg's

1500kgs is GTR territory and that is where we are headed with cars which that size used to weigh 1200kgs.