SAU Community

Drive Around Australia

For a while now I have wanted to drive around Aust and see the outback. I am now sussing out the idea of taking a month off and making it happen. Unfortunately the GTR isn't up to the task so I was thinking of buying a late model STI or EVO and selling it after the trip. This raises the issue of finding 98 octane fuel and leads me to my questions.

1. How available is 98 octane fuel in the outback, looking to visit all the obvious places in NT as well as Broome area and a bit of WA.

2. Is it feasible/safe to load a few tanks of 98 unleaded in the back seat/boot to extend the range.

3. Are the STI/EVO as suitable as I seem to think they are? Just two passangers on the trip.

4. How feasible is it to have a car like this retuned specifically for 95 octane fuel?

better off in a disel landcruiser, although wouldnt be as much fun, its what i'd be lookin at.

no problem finding fuel, more comfortable (important on loooonnnggggg trips), and better range (long range tanks etc). not to mention you can take it to some harsher places. although sti or evo would be ok off road, for places like NT and up in WA, cruiser would be hell of a lot better, plus you dont fel as bad if u put soem scratches/dents in it

PS, you can get landcruisers with trims like winches, fridges, lots of good things.

also, trip is about seeing things, not driving a spots car, go the cruiser

Edited by VB-

Yeah dude, thats not a trip Id like to do in anything else but a diesel cruiser with the big long range tanks. Like it would be an awesome trip to do, my Dads best mate has done it a few times. But you wouldnt do it in performace car. Its not a place you want to get stuck. Remember wolf creek? :P

i'd be more scared of driving that much sh*tty highway in a sports car.... your ass will hurt more than after a conjugal visit with Big Bad Bubba

Edited by VB-

If you want to do much sight seeing go with a 4WD like the Landcruiser or something for the above reasons. Some of the really good places are 4WD only or recommended.

As for fuel outside Alice I think 98 octane is not available at many places. I always carry a jerry of fuel in the back seat on long trips, some say it is dangerous though..(but so is a fuel tank.)

Yeh, alot of up top, especially cape york and springs is pretty 4wd only, i've seen aboriginal blokes managed it in XF fords and crappy old holdens, but they're nutters, definitely would keep my gtr away from it ^^

theres plenty of paved stuff though if you dont want to go to the extremeties

Well if youre planning of staying on the highways go get a VT berlina;

Auto

Climate control

Cruise control

Does 2000rpm at 115kph

Great fuel economy

Heaps of space for all the things you pickup along the way

in regards to finding 98 octane.. a good solution would be to just carry around a box of GOOD octane booster. would at least ensure you could put in average fuel and still keep the motor alive!

a EVO etc would be good fun for sure.. but not too sure about the practicality ! get a stagea to do it in haha.. then you can sleep in the back - comfy to drive - but diabolical on fuel

Drove Sunshine Coast to Perth with a mate in our R33's, brought 100L of 98 in 5 jerry cans in the boot for the trip, got this on the way through Brisbane, but only really needed one spare just in case for the whole trip through to Port Augusta where it would have been better to fill them all up then due to the price, but Ceduna was the last chance of 98 before Norseman so we needed it for the whole Nullabor trip & some more... You can look on the BP site & see where you can get it, but the sort of trip it sounds like you want to plan you would be pushing it in a LOT of places.

But as already said it would be better suited to a 4wd or something, but the look on some peoples faces as 2 imports fly past them in the middle of the country was pretty cool :w00t:

PS Great Aussie Bight is fricken awesome, good for pics :)

Drove Sunshine Coast to Perth with a mate in our R33's, brought 100L of 98 in 5 jerry cans in the boot for the trip, got this on the way through Brisbane, but only really needed one spare just in case for the whole trip through to Port Augusta where it would have been better to fill them all up then due to the price, but Ceduna was the last chance of 98 before Norseman so we needed it for the whole Nullabor trip & some more... You can look on the BP site & see where you can get it, but the sort of trip it sounds like you want to plan you would be pushing it in a LOT of places.

But as already said it would be better suited to a 4wd or something, but the look on some peoples faces as 2 imports fly past them in the middle of the country was pretty cool :w00t:

PS Great Aussie Bight is fricken awesome, good for pics :)

LoL, I gotta ask dude, what else did you have in the car other than jerry cans full of fuel!? I mean they arent the most spacious of cars to start with, put all that in there... HAHA!

LoL, I gotta ask dude, what else did you have in the car other than jerry cans full of fuel!? I mean they arent the most spacious of cars to start with, put all that in there... HAHA!

lol all the fuel filled up the boot....(see pic) With the heat had to remember to relieve the pressure too, they blew up a fair bit & just squashed more hahah. Inside with me was a full suitcase, toolbox & spare things "just in case", some boxes & my mates pc tower, there wasn't much room once we got everything in :w00t:

fuel.jpg

The STi and EVO guzzle a lot of fuel. Many dont get anymore than 300km per tank. The ride quality is pure rigid (but maybe you wont mind this). You risk them being stollen or damaged when you visit the more dodgy parts of Aus. besides these they are a very fun car.