SAU Community

Has Anyone Here Changed All The Suspension Bushes?

N/A®

Hi guys,

Looking at changing the bushes on my R33.

What would it cost to change all the rear suspension bushes to new ones?

Will this have any benefits? For example, stop knocks and road noise.

Pls take a couple of minutes and post your experiences or opinions.

Thanks.

I've replaced all the bushes in the race car and the differnce was huge, although I guess it depends how bad your bushes were in the first place - but pretty much all these cars are 10-15 years old now.....

not sure on price I did them all myself and it was a real pain of a job

I got my car lowered and started to hear knocking from the front, was advised to replace castor/camber bushes to get rid of sound.

i got quoted for installation;

front camber kit bushes, rear camber kit bushes, castor bushes, subframe bushes for $300 including alignment

Is there any other bushes im missing from the list above?

depends what they mean by rear camber bushes. at the rear there are 2 inner upper arms, 1 outer upper arm and inner and outer lower arms.

then there are inner and outer ball joints on the front lower control arms, ball joint on the front steering arm, ball joint on the rear hicas rod. also steering bush and steering rack mount bushes. but you've listed the main ones above.

Duncan,

What exactly do you mean when you say a big difference? In handling or sound? How much are all the bushes alone?

My 33 is anoying me as I keep hearing constant knocks even as I drive down a smooth road. It sounds like the rear GTR wing is loose or something in the boot but I cant find it. Some say its the shocks but they were rebuild not too long ago and they are Ohlins.

Its pissing me off so much that I feel like driving it off a cliff!

Someone help with the solution.

Edited by N/A®

N/A my bet is on the fact that your car has spherical bearings somewhere on it - the shocks are probably on "pillow ball" which is a bit of a misnomer cosidering that there is nothing "pillow" about a spherical bearing.

flogged out spherical bearings knock and sound like loose body work...

N/A my bet is on the fact that your car has spherical bearings somewhere on it - the shocks are probably on "pillow ball" which is a bit of a misnomer cosidering that there is nothing "pillow" about a spherical bearing.

flogged out spherical bearings knock and sound like loose body work...

it was originally "piro" which then became pillow due to the 2nd generation of bad translation :)

i reckon your spot on... things knock their tits off when worn.

as far as bushes go it is hard to go past the NIsmo replacement arms.... they are pretty cost effective and make the job quick and painless.

From what i can remember (its been a while now) all of mine have been replaced with alloy. The ride is rock solid, just the way i like it :D

i doubt it unless the are all rose joints as the rear setup has deflection built into the goemetry without it the suspension binds up and behaves terribly.

as far as bushes go it is hard to go past the NIsmo replacement arms.... they are pretty cost effective and make the job quick and painless.

The car has Nismo arms on the rears.

Thanks for the replies but Im still at a lost. Is there a definate test to see if its the shocks or not 1st? By test, I mean one that doesnt require removing them and replacing them with another.

if they are making enough noise that you can hear it while driving then you should be able to just jack up the car, remove a wheel at a time and try and move the strut side to side. It won't move very much at all but any play in the bearing will be easily heard.

One other thing you might want to check is the kingpin (its the pivot that holds the top and bottom half of the stub axle together). They can get loose (mine were). Hard to tell from the workshop manual but it looks like it needs about 165 Nm on it (R32, dunno if R33 is the same), but there's no room to get a socket in there....