SAU Community

Software :)

this question would be for chris as you know when they put my dvd in they removed the box you need to do the

english conversion so if you had another box could you do the conversion

• 2 weeks later...

had the conversion done today. everything's working and it looks great. thanks to andy who was in canberra since saturday. his stagea looks hot and the toys he's put in it are incredible. i didn't realise how similar the interior of the stageo are to the V. met another stagea owner in the process - who also had the conversion done.

great work, andy!

Hey guys

I've just bought an '03 skyline and there seems to be a small (about half the size of a credit card) black "thing" (almost like an infra-red reciever) on the dash with a wire disappearing under the dash.. wondering does that have anything to do with anything important in the car? My first guess was that it had something to do with the phone car kit installed, but wasnt sure...

any ideas??

just to update you guys, I managed to pull the firmware data out of the update CD, and have started decrypting the text blocks. It should be easy to identify cos its all multibyte data for japanese text. Replace these with english equivalents and the menus should be in english. Also pulled the bitmap data out of the firmware file, and have replaced it with an "SAU" background screen :yes:

is there any other tweaks you guys would like to see on the menu's etc? I think I might be able to change the colours of some of the menu highlights etc... will require some playing around. I probed the board and found the JTAG pins, so even if I cock it up I should be able to manually force a firmware into the rom (gonna pull an image of the working one in it first).

Hopefully this weekend or next I should be able to test it on our V35, and if it works, I'll slap together a firmware update CD for you guys to download and enjoy.

just to update you guys, I managed to pull the firmware data out of the update CD, and have started decrypting the text blocks. It should be easy to identify cos its all multibyte data for japanese text. Replace these with english equivalents and the menus should be in english. Also pulled the bitmap data out of the firmware file, and have replaced it with an "SAU" background screen :P

is there any other tweaks you guys would like to see on the menu's etc? I think I might be able to change the colours of some of the menu highlights etc... will require some playing around. I probed the board and found the JTAG pins, so even if I cock it up I should be able to manually force a firmware into the rom (gonna pull an image of the working one in it first).

Hopefully this weekend or next I should be able to test it on our V35, and if it works, I'll slap together a firmware update CD for you guys to download and enjoy.

You da man Shan!

You starting the V36 soon ??? :P

Is there a way to leave the colours, screens, text etc all exactly the same but with English writing. I actually like the factory look.

You da man Shan!

You starting the V36 soon ??? :O

Is there a way to leave the colours, screens, text etc all exactly the same but with English writing. I actually like the factory look.

lol I haven't had a successful flash yet, so don't get your hopes up. This weekend I'm gonna try it on the car, so I'll see how I go.

As for the screens and stuff... I'm not sure if it can be changed, but I'll have a play with it and see what happens.

No plans for the V36, I'm just doin this in my spare time as a favour for the missus :(

just to update you guys, I managed to pull the firmware data out of the update CD, and have started decrypting the text blocks. It should be easy to identify cos its all multibyte data for japanese text. Replace these with english equivalents and the menus should be in english. Also pulled the bitmap data out of the firmware file, and have replaced it with an "SAU" background screen :(

So if I read this right this will be free? I don't get it but if you want to spend all your own time to supply me something for nothing thats fine....when do you reckon you will have it?

Edited by Jetwreck

nah ETC (toll tags) - rip it out. could also be a VICS unit. same idea - remove it.

hmm from what I can gather the ETC system is IN the dash... This little (apparent) infrared reciever is loose on the top of the dash and has wires going into a vent.. Is that an important piece of the kit, or part of the phone kit?

I am not sure what your motivation is to do this when there is a solution in place at a cost that would probably closer to your hourly rate for some one with your skill.

If you really want to do something really useful see if you can make a map disc for use in the car. That is truly something unique that no one else has been able to solve.

Cheers

Andy

Good stuff ..I be interested to see what it looks like. and if it can be done across all years of the V35. Someone else mentioned keeping the current Jap screens and just adding English selection or screen on it..that would be kinda cool.

just to update you guys, I managed to pull the firmware data out of the update CD, and have started decrypting the text blocks. It should be easy to identify cos its all multibyte data for japanese text. Replace these with english equivalents and the menus should be in english. Also pulled the bitmap data out of the firmware file, and have replaced it with an "SAU" background screen :cool:

So if I read this right this will be free? I don't get it but if you want to spend all your own time to supply me something for nothing thats fine....when do you reckon you will have it?
I don't see why I should be charging anyone for taking the risk of running a firmware update that I'm playing with for my own personal use. If you choose to use it, you're on your own, and removes any liability on my part. Just like jailbreaking an iPhone or softmodding an Xbox.
Good stuff ..I be interested to see what it looks like. and if it can be done across all years of the V35. Someone else mentioned keeping the current Jap screens and just adding English selection or screen on it..that would be kinda cool.
If I can convert the multibyte japanese characters to halfwidth japanese characters, then I might be able add English to the end of it. That's on the proviso that the Xanavi system can render half width.
I am not sure what your motivation is to do this when there is a solution in place at a cost that would probably closer to your hourly rate for some one with your skill.

Cheers

Andy

Ah yes. I'm doing it because I tinker with electronics, it's a hobby and an experiment. I jailbroke my iPhone within 30 mins of purchasing it, modded my XBox, run an Arudino on my R32 ECU to drive a couple of devices and change dash light colours, have an Internet controllable light and temperature control system for my house, have an RFID based dog hatch for my dog, etc. I don't believe in paying someone to do something when it's much more fun for me to do it myself, its the risk I take for what I can learn. Maybe its just a blatant disregard for warranties and gadget costs, after all if I break it, I'll just buy another one. I'm sorry if this cuts into your profit margin and business model.

I also don't believe that profiteering from any hacks I make will lead to any advancement in the platform (old principle I hold from being a programmer). What's the point in replacing a closed system with a modified closed system? When I get it all working properly, I'll put up step by step DIY's so anyone can do it from scratch, or just download an ISO of the firmware and have a simpler update process (for those who don't wanna know how its done or aren't technical enough). If anything I might set it up as donationware, where people can donate some money to offset my initial costs if they found it useful.

Also a few of the admin would like to have a word with you about trading on the forum without being a paid trader, and using SAU's brand in marketing your product through your networks. The first I heard of this was when I was at the compliancer and he said "ah yeah the SAU menu update... it was too expensive so I don't offer it." You can imagine my surprise. I'm not the admin that looks after traders and businesses or trademarks, so I'll leave it to them to sort it out with you.

If you really want to do something really useful see if you can make a map disc for use in the car. That is truly something unique that no one else has been able to solve.
Getting back on topic, I've already had a look at the map data, and it's encoded in a proprietary Zenrin format (the guys who provide maps for JP, EU and US). Decoding this would take a fair while, but we'll see how we go. So far my plan was to just get the bootscreen to display a custom image, and the menu in english for ease of use. I'll tackle maps after that.

As far as the process is concerned, if it is successful, then maybe further down the track I'll have a look at doing the other Xanavi units (V36 etc). Its never going to be a priority though, as I don't own one and hence no urgency on my part to get it working.

With all that said, this is a project I'm doing for myself, so I'll be working according to my own timeframes, which means the rest of you guys shouldn't wait on me to get it working or for updates or for support. That is the difference between free and a paid product.

Also a few of the admin would like to have a word with you about trading on the forum without being a paid trader, and using SAU's brand in marketing your product through your networks. The first I heard of this was when I was at the compliancer and he said "ah yeah the SAU menu update... it was too expensive so I don't offer it." You can imagine my surprise. I'm not the admin that looks after traders and businesses or trademarks, so I'll leave it to them to sort it out with you.

Trader.... that is an interesting concept given the shit I have been given in this forum for trying to find a solution to a problem and making it accessible to the members of the SAU forum.

Firstly... I have never used SAU brand in conjunction with telling people about this product. It is called Xanavi.ru

I think it is very unprofessional of you to post this accusation in public forum with no basis of truth or knowledge of what I am doing. My mobile is listed in my signature and I am happy to discuss this with anyone from SAU. I can not believe you have posted this S#$t when no one from SAU has ever spoken to me about it.

Accuse first and get the truth later. If I recall correctly SAU deleted all posts on a similar basis last year when people pointed out that one of their advertisers was offering cars for sale that could not be complied in Australia.

So what defines a business trader....... Promoting a business in a signature? Promoting something that SAU members may want for their car?

Having got my M35 in 2007 I wanted the menu's in English and no one had a solution. I found a guy in Russia who could offer a solution. I have then spent the next 2 years following it up consistently so it would become available. Personally I had the english conversion 1.5 years ago and had no need for any more but that people wanted it.

I don't think my powers of persuasion are that good that I can convince some one in Russia to spend months working on a problem and then give it away.

Personally I don't care if I do another conversion as the amount of money I make off doing this does not justify the time or cost to me.

On a side note maybe you can help solve the problem that I paid for my membership on the 12th December 09 and still have not received my members pack.

Cheers

Andy

Trader.... that is an interesting concept given the shit I have been given in this forum for trying to find a solution to a problem and making it accessible to the members of the SAU forum.

Firstly... I have never used SAU brand in conjunction with telling people about this product. It is called Xanavi.ru

I think it is very unprofessional of you to post this accusation in public forum with no basis of truth or knowledge of what I am doing. My mobile is listed in my signature and I am happy to discuss this with anyone from SAU. I can not believe you have posted this S#$t when no one from SAU has ever spoken to me about it.

Accuse first and get the truth later. If I recall correctly SAU deleted all posts on a similar basis last year when people pointed out that one of their advertisers was offering cars for sale that could not be complied in Australia.

So what defines a business trader....... Promoting a business in a signature? Promoting something that SAU members may want for their car?

Having got my M35 in 2007 I wanted the menu's in English and no one had a solution. I found a guy in Russia who could offer a solution. I have then spent the next 2 years following it up consistently so it would become available. Personally I had the english conversion 1.5 years ago and had no need for any more but that people wanted it.

I don't think my powers of persuasion are that good that I can convince some one in Russia to spend months working on a problem and then give it away.

Personally I don't care if I do another conversion as the amount of money I make off doing this does not justify the time or cost to me.

On a side note maybe you can help solve the problem that I paid for my membership on the 12th December 09 and still have not received my members pack.

Cheers

Andy

Good work Andy and don't worry about... there are some of us that appreciate what you have done and I am sure that no-one really cares. Can't imagine why anyone would think it is problem if you took the time to read how it all developed.

If this is how they wan't to run the forum, I would imagine that would be a bit silly.

Just for the record... I don't even have a V series Skyline so conversion for me is irrelevant.