SAU Community

Dual Hid's

Skyrin3

I currently have HID bulbs as my low beam. Should i get a 2nd Set to install in the highbeam globe spot, Low beam has made a big difference. Also I know you can rig it so both lights, low and high beam, are on when you are using high beam. Would this make a huge difference? Is there anyone that has done this?

Im thinking to go with a 2nd set for my highbeams what do you all think?

What im saying is no i dont want to be driving around all the time with high and low beam going. But when i switch high beam on i dont want low beam to go out is what i mean.

But my original question was will HID globes in my highbeam slots be as much of an upgrade as HID globes in my low beam slots.

Having both low and high beam on at the same time while driving is probably illegal anyways..so I wouldn't bother.

WHY would it be illegal??? (If you can't back up your statement, why post your opinion in the first place)

If you were to be like the stereotypical deadshit that insists on driving around town with his or her factory "driving lights" on in your new Bogandore pissing off on-coming traffic then yes I could see it being a problem but other than that, how is it any different to running multiple beams on something like a 4WD etc, as long as you're sensible about when & where you use 'em??

Like most things, it's not the unit at fault but the application........

As for "How To", try the link below & if it all sounds a bit daunting, I might be able to help you (or anyone else for that matter) out in the New Year for the cost of parts & a 'lil on the side. Just remember one thing, you won't be able to "flash" your lights like std with all 4 beams as HID's as the globes usually take a few secs to build to full intensity etc but other than that I can't see a prob with it. My GTR will be getting this exact conversion in the near future.

PM away.....

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Du...eam-t13979.html

While you're at it, try this DIY. Def can't hurt with the heat coming.......

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R3...rn-t153378.html

Im not very confident on cutting and splicing wires from a guide if i had someone to show me then id be fine. But yeah id like ur help if you dont mind.

Id gladly give u something on the side for it as well.

my GTR has the N1 front lights in it, the ones with low and high beam using the same bulb and driving/fog lights in the middle... If I was to fit HID's to my car, would this be a problem? (running high and low through the same bulb that is - all high beam seems to do is increase the power to the bulb)

I guess the obvious problem has been forgotten...

Hid's are great, however they require time to warm up, they are not 100% until at least 10 seconds after you have flicked them on...

Secondlly, the balasts for HID's dont really like getting flicked on and off all the time as sometimes they just dont switch back on again...

WHY would it be illegal??? (If you can't back up your statement, why post your opinion in the first place)

This is actually done either from the factory or during compliance in Vic in regard to series 3 R33's, ie. the ones with Xenons in it. I'm pretty sure my one was like that from factory but I could be wrong.

I thought it was a requirement that low beam stays on when high beam turns on if you had factory xenons, I can't imagine it been illegal in QLD, but its best to check your local laws.

Putting HID into high beam does sound like a bad idea, my high beams look yellow compared to the xenons but I don't need high beams very often.

Having both low and high beam on at the same time while driving is probably illegal anyways..so I wouldn't bother.

wtf!

dont listen to this guy man, he is giving u bad advice.

most ADM cars have hi beam lights and low beams on at the same time at high beam.

from memory there is a thread in the DIY/TUTORIAL section.

if not there are heaps of threads on google.

just remember low beams cut almost 10psi of fuel pressure, now having 4 bulbs on at the same time is likely to drain about 15psi of fuel pressure- watch out for that.

goodluck.

Edited by r33cruiser

just remember low beams cut almost 10psi of fuel pressure, now having 4 bulbs on at the same time is likely to drain about 15psi of fuel pressure- watch out for that.

goodluck.

Now thats the comment that deserves the WTF...

I could right now go out to my car turn it on. Look at the fuel pressure gauge, turn the lights on, look at it again and its going to be at the same pressure.

Either way, if you aim your lights correctly you shouldn't have any day to day issues. Putting brighter lights in isnt going to solve the problem of the lights pointing to the sky, or directly in to the ground, they are still going to do that, just brighter. They will still be useless.

Anyway, moving on.

My lights are aimed correctly, But See low beam only can travel so far, What i want to do is this.. HID Ballasts dont like being turned off and on again right? So i wanted to rig it so when i hit the high beams, Low beams stayed on. Get what i mean now? :D

My Second question was, WILL HID lights as high beams be much better then the halogen bulbs, Only issue is they will be turned on and off alot more then the low beams.

The quick answer to your question is YES skrin3. Especially if you fit a set of 8k or 12k HID's

I have 8k HID for my Low beam and i tell you... i aint going back to Halogen EVER!! When i drive in the mountains or major highways away from the city i can see far more than ever......

There is a second option that no one has suggested and that is fitting some higher wattage halogens to your high beam. (after one has done the hi/low beam both on mod) the only issue is heat i think....

Loz

The quick answer to your question is YES skrin3. Especially if you fit a set of 8k or 12k HID's

I have 8k HID for my Low beam and i tell you... i aint going back to Halogen EVER!! When i drive in the mountains or major highways away from the city i can see far more than ever......

There is a second option that no one has suggested and that is fitting some higher wattage halogens to your high beam. (after one has done the hi/low beam both on mod) the only issue is heat i think....

Loz

Well driving at night.. Its not exactly hot so that could help right?

id like to get HID's for my foglights. I wounder what bulb they are...

Mostly likely to be H3s but I'd just get the bulbs which are around $10-$30 on eBay

A HID kit for the foggies is just a waste of money and space in your engine bay.

I'm buying a few cheapos on eBay, see how they stack up to well known brands. :O

i've got gay-as h3c bulbs. these are twice the price and twice as bad as real bulbs.

are there HIDs available for these, or can you convert them to a normal globe like h3's?

i have tried searching, but sorry if this has been done before...

not really look in the forsale section theres a guy i know who imports H3C and all other Single Beam 6500K PI hid kits for $100 brand new with invoice..

on other hand i have hid both high and low both are seperate .. when i switch high on thelow turns off.. (factory setting) never tempted to try and have both on when flicking high beam, on ..