SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

I also feel the clean and press is one of the best exersices out there, strangely hardly anyone does them.

It's a bit technical for most. I like doing them they are a good brute strength movement. I try to slow the clean down as the press weight is usually light-ish for cleans. This way I get more out of the picking it up phase. Not doing them at the minute ,I am lacking some flexibillityt. Wrist injury needs sorting too.

2yrs ago in my build section I was doing 105kg for 5 reps (don't know what it translates to as 1rm). I forget what I was doing 12yrs ago but, I was significantly stronger back then. Could have been 120kg for 5.

I am keen to see what I can progress to this time round , now that I am commited to a gym for 12months.

On tip I can give for this is not faffing around with other pressing movements like bench while you are training this. Ideally if you are 5 or less reps then this would be the only thing you press in that week (no bench)

Edited by rev210

TM7GTR I started on ICF 5X5 3months ago after no gym for a few years. It's been a great program for relearning form and the weights are getting seriously heavy now. Plus the accessories added in give those mirror muscles a decent pump too. I'm seeing good results in my strength. Check it out

Getting back into it after a long time off and surgery? I would hit the mobility exercises and band work, for a few weeks (even longer if the surgery is a shoulder/back/knee joint) to get the body and joints loosened up / gain some flexibility for good range of motion in spite of potential scar tissue, and strengthen some of the supporting and core muscles before you get back into compounds.

Then when everything is feeling good and loose, start light on for everything, beginning with one exercise per session and slowly introducing more as you go so that you can rule out any injury or pain causers / narrow them down.

• Like 1

Appreciate all the input guys.

Birds, the surgery wasn't joint or muscle related, and therefore won't affect my lifting at all so that's not to worry. It was just sinus surgery (septoplasty, turbinate reduction, etc.) so I was unable to lift for a few weeks due to limiting any head tilting/blood pressure rises, and how easily a nosebleed can reoccur.

Prior to that was a long travelling stint through Japan, so all up that meant around 2-3 months off.

Mobility is a must, and there have been some great suggestions to accompany that. I've had two basic sessions so far with light loads in some of the bigger movements to suss them out and how I bounce back currently.

I may just make a build thread as to not clog up this thread with endless discussion.

Cheers :happy:

Seems my shoulder still needs some time, I added a little bit of weight to some things on Friday and then did a little work on the car Sat/Sun and it pulled up a little tender =\

Where do I sign up for carbon fibre/titanium super composite power joints/tendons/muscles?

• Like 1

I think sprints are heaps more taxing on the body than one thinks. I did some hill sprints a few weeks back, then tried to do a leg day a couple of days later and my knees felt wrecked.

Used to love sprinting up hills - favourite part of running and amazing cardio

When you train like that you can run on flat ground forever

• Like 1

No good, how bad are we talking?

Not sure, I've had some ultrasounds but still waiting on the docs assessment.

I've had 3 operated on before and it felt the same when it let go, big tearing then I hit the deck.

Oh well, looks like some time off and then get back into it slowly, again...

Stupid guts.

Inguinal hernia? Have to insert some gauze or whatever it's called and get more sutures yeah? That sucks.

Yeah, I've been there 3 times before, it sucks but recovery is quick.

• Like 1

Hill sprints are the bomb. Either that or simple flat 100m sprints are the only running you'll ever get me to do short of chasing me with some kind of bludgeon or blade :P

So has been confirmed. I have a small tear in my groin. Thankfully its not bad and doesn't require surgery.

Doctor has recommended 6 months off oztag and no stress to my legs. Walking is fine and jogging if i am up for it.

Also believes that my flexibility is disgraceful and i need to focus on stretching or go and do yoga