SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

It's not the most optimal or efficient way to go about things if you actually want to feel full of energy, but it's certainly nothing like some people insist in that you're barely able to function and you feel like shit. Yeah, maybe for the first day or two if you've gone from 250g carbs a day to under 100g....but it's nothing like I keep reading some people suggest.

Like you said Mitch, each to their own. Everyone's body is different. I know for sure that I'd feel like ratshit if I ate half the stuff Birds has sent me in snapchats occasionally, lol....but it works for him (arguably, right Leesh? :P).

Not good :( fingers crossed there's obvious issues with easy enough fixes!

I should try get my chiro to email me a copy of my Xrays from the other day....shit's pretty amusing once you overlay the lines showing you how my spine is supposed to be aligned lol. Neck is dead straight, lumbar/sacrum is pretty much straight, and thoracic is hilario messy

Yes function.. Just for me but ultra low carbs you will function but only progression will be weight loss not muscle gain, maybe a small amount.

Its about finding the balance.

With ultra low carbs you do need refeed days or your body will get use to low carbs and will serve no benifit. I had to have 2 refeed days a week. But my training is pretty intense and i tend to train heavy even when cutting.

The low carb thing just works for me, might not work for other people, diet is an individual thing. I had rice and tuna for dinner last night as it's one of my favorite meals and I haven't had it for months.

Yesterday's macro breakdown according to mfp was 132g fats 122g carbs 340g protein, carbs a little higher than usual because of rice. Fats make up for lower carbs

Edit: lifts are coming along just fine. I am in no way opposed to carbs and will eat them, I just have to watch when for most types.

Edited by r31slpr

I'd say the whole 'low carb' thing is a case of 'don't knock it til you try it'. And by try it, I mean more than 1 or 2 days in a row. At least a week.

Edited by Trozzle

• 2 weeks later...

Xray won't show anything useful for you leesh.

Yeah you'll have a bend in your spine or a tilt in your hips but that doesn't tell you anything and it can't be fixed now that you're an adult.

MRI

or possibly a CT scan.

I think you can get a GP to request a CT scan and it will be free.

MRI will cost cash

GP said do X-ray, he was happy to do a CT after that I think, he just wanted to rule out bones which is fair enough I guess...all bulk billed

Yeah CT is free here, MRI is a few hundred

X-ray was helpful, showed narrowing of L5/S1 intervertebral disc space. Having a ct scan on Tuesday to investigate this area further. Also seeing a sports physio recommended by the doctor. I'm feeling more positive that I can receive the correct treatment without surgery to be pain free again, fingers crossed :)

Squatted again last night. First time in months due to injury. Couple of things.

1. Could not get a comfortable position. Felt back pain, knee pain and groin pain. Didn't matter how i positioned myself

2. Knees were straining to pull inwards and buckle

3. Couldn't lift remotely heavy at all

4. No stamina in the sets either

Wasn't much fun and was disappointed in myself but will have to pick myself up and wait for the next session

Try sitting in the full squat position with no weight, hold it for a couple of minutes or until you feel pain, rinse and repeat a few times every day for a while.

That^ plus other mobility exercises. Your flexibility and mobility has gone to shit, cns doesn't trust your limbs and your muscles are probably well shortened / stiff.

Haven't tried holding the squat position other than to push my knees out and stretch. Might give it ago.

Did a few mobility exercises before the session pluss some light cardio to warm up. Sucks that flexibility has always been a weak point for me ever since i gave up the combat sports.

Guess like a lot of things it will take time to perform again

The low carb thing just works for me, might not work for other people, diet is an individual thing. I had rice and tuna for dinner last night as it's one of my favorite meals and I haven't had it for months.

Yesterday's macro breakdown according to mfp was 132g fats 122g carbs 340g protein, carbs a little higher than usual because of rice. Fats make up for lower carbs

Edit: lifts are coming along just fine. I am in no way opposed to carbs and will eat them, I just have to watch when for most types.

Your high protein is making up for the lack of carbs, the fat isn't that high.

While I'm firmly against the ridiculous overblown FAD (which it's nothing more than) against gluten we're seeing in recent years, and a firm believer that unless you've been diagnosed with gluten intolerance cutting it out is completely unnecessary and you're a FOTM hipster top bloke, I will attest that even though I don't have any medical intolerance to gluten, I still get a bit of bloating from eating wheat based products particularly of the refined-to-all-f**k variety like bleached white flour. That being said, this bloating is likely nothing to do with gluten. or very little, and is just minor irritation from excessive amounts of fluids being pulled through my GI tract (this is just speculation though).

EDIT: LOL I forgot about the mad word filters on SAU.

Same bloke that did the original study, saying non celiac gluten intolerance exists, had a think about things over a few years and decided to conduct another more controlled study.

Alas, all the band wagon people dismissed it, even though it was the same guy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rosspomeroy/2014/05/15/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-may-not-exist/