SAU Community

Cleaning R33 Headlights

TUFF_350

did you get scratches out with that Nick?

Light scratches & scuffs came out using plastx and a buff pad on my drill, most will require sandpaper though.

note this guide:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20994

I had trouble finding paper above 2000 grit at bunnings & stratco, haven't tried searching again since.

i have scratches from sandpaper on my headlights, and am thinking about removing my eyelids. might give it a try soon

iirc it's about 24 bucks a bottle, try to find a foam applicator pad attachment for a drill as it is easier to work with than a standard "bonnet buff pad" which tend to break apart easier, I tried doing it by hand but took ages and came out no where near as good.

Anyone know of an Adelaide store to get 2500 & 3000 grit wet sand paper? Bunnings etc finish up around 2000 grit which is way too course.

i have scratches from sandpaper on my headlights, and am thinking about removing my eyelids. might give it a try soon

+1

I have some scratches and crap on my lights. I had to take my eyelids of for regency. Wasnt pretty afterward. I would keep the lids on Damo. Depending what you used to put them on

iirc it's about 24 bucks a bottle, try to find a foam applicator pad attachment for a drill as it is easier to work with than a standard "bonnet buff pad" which tend to break apart easier, I tried doing it by hand but took ages and came out no where near as good.

Anyone know of an Adelaide store to get 2500 & 3000 grit wet sand paper? Bunnings etc finish up around 2000 grit which is way too course.

Maybe Supercheap Auto, if not best bet would be a Auto Paint Dealer....such as Lonsdale Auto Paints (if you are south), maybe try your local crash repairers, they may sell you some.

• 6 years later...

Hey guys, I know this thread is old but still relevant...I found the perfect combo to hit these filthy old lights to turn them to newish looking condition so here's my experience:

1) Wash them with water and soup and rubber with some force using a sponge. Let them dry off completely (important).

2) Get a fiber cloth and put some toothpaste on the lights and rub clockwise going from left to right, right to left directions.

3) Using just water - clean off the toothpaste and let it dry.

4) Buy a bottle of Autosol Metal Cleaner and wipe with a new clean fiber cloth and rub clockwise going from left to right, right to left directions. Repeat 2-3 times.

5) Using a hairdryer - heat up the headlights to let the Autosol cream lock in. I know this sounds weird but worked a treat for me. After like 2 minutes they look 200% better.

They usually start going yellowy again after a couple of months so repeat the above process again.

Good luck.

• Like 1

+1 that's what I've been using.

I suggest use my method - this looks good but actually leaves a lights looking foggy and not crystal clear and only lasts a couple of weeks in the sun. My method will give you a couple of months.

1) Wash them with water and soup and rubber with some force using a sponge. Let them dry off completely (important).

Really? Soup and Rubber?? That's a new recipe for sure!! hahaha