SAU Community

Steering Wheel

R338OY

I have a Momo steering wheel and after a wheel alignment the car drives straight but the steering wheel isn't dead-centre.

I thought of removing it and putting it back on in the right position. I'm having trouble removing the centre nut though.

Any advice?

yep...if you are having trouble getting the centre nut off, you have bigger problems ahead.

Before you take the wheel off drive a couple of metres in a straight line. That way you will know the wheels are straight.

Nut off just needs a socket and a breaker bar. But once it's off the wheel can still be very tight on the splines, so put the nut back on a few turns and rock the wheel back and forward. might even need to give it a gentle wack with a soft headed hammer to loosen it.

Wheel alignment should have been done by setting the steering wheel "straight ahead", then aligning wheels. With the steering wheel off-centre, you risk upsetting HICAS, which will think you are in a constant turn.

Take it back and get it adjusted properly.

yep...if you are having trouble getting the centre nut off, you have bigger problems ahead.

Before you take the wheel off drive a couple of metres in a straight line. That way you will know the wheels are straight.

Nut off just needs a socket and a breaker bar. But once it's off the wheel can still be very tight on the splines, so put the nut back on a few turns and rock the wheel back and forward. might even need to give it a gentle wack with a soft headed hammer to loosen it.

I figured your advice is the way to go...need the breaker bar...BUT

Wheel alignment should have been done by setting the steering wheel "straight ahead", then aligning wheels. With the steering wheel off-centre, you risk upsetting HICAS, which will think you are in a constant turn.

Take it back and get it adjusted properly.

This sounds like a good idea. It was straight before the alignment now is wonky. I'll redo the alignment with this post in mind.

redo the alignment man., and tell the operation to get the f**king thing right.

they just look at it and say "she'll be right, looks straight" and u are the result.

a wheel alignment requires the steering wheel to be centred along with the front wheels. obviously you have been ripped off. its happed to me aswell. GO SOMEWHERE else and get it done properly.

Yeah had the same thing happen to mine, but it was like 10 degrees out, bunch of useless c***s working every where these days. Just take it back to them. If not you can adjust it at a suspension place by them getting under the car and adjusting some sort of steering arm or something, dont ask me what it was but my mate at pedders fixed mine from underneath the car in 5 minutes.