SAU Community

What Keeps You Motivated To Stay Here In Japan?

m3gtr

I think the main point for me is first and foremost, my marriage.

My Job comes after that and i have a great one and while i am developing some noticeable skills, i am obviously craving more money...

Patience, mate...patience.

My lifestyle has improved 100 fold. In every department. Ive been opened up to countess opportunities and unspeakable kindness...I could never have envisioned a life like that in Oz...it was never going to happen unless i was loaded. True story. You may not agree. I was depressed with my life in Oz...and others rubbed it in my face...it was time to say じゃね, bye bye.

Someone on here plus a couple of other who i don't know, referred to me as a LBH. ( Loser Back Home )

Perhaps those people was right. Hahahaha, but the funniest part is - if i was to go by that mentality - im NOT a loser here and have never felt like one the entire time ive been here. Quite the opposite actually. Funny that, isnt it? :banana:

I love simple things...things like the Ryokan ive stayed in for example. The meals ive eaten. The service ive received. The places ive visited. Simple things..you know like living. Skiing in some of the best powder snow in the world...going again for the 5th time this season next week..., heck, actually seeing the transitions in season here, alone, are a great reason to spend a year here. Seasons are so clear cut and well defined within their time limits..so is Burberry's collection changes unfortunately..

Simple things, like the countless people ive met who have been kind to me beyond words and my limited Aussie comprehension.

I know a few people here who are at a junction in their lives and if you are at a junction in life the best place to be at one is HERE in Japan, i completely profess.

The things ive seen...you wouldnt begin to imagine them. Or maybe you would totally agree!

Yes, ofcourse, there have been vices...i can think of many but thats not what this thread is about and to those who would consider this another worthless and time consuming waste of space by M3gtr, please leave the thread..

To those of you who dont, and are here still, have been here and would like to comment, want to come here and see it for yourself, please do go on and leave a post.

Id love to discuss what makes Japan so damn fascinating.

Peace.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody get this guy his own blog :banana:

kleenex.jpg

Since your life has improved 100 fold, how about improving your personality just 2 fold? :D

Btw, Im one of the ones who referred you as a LBH because of 2 reasons;

1.You were referred to me as a LBH and the title stuck.

2.You are one.

Edited by N/A®

Despite the annoying insistence of certain people posting in a thread that was clearly not created for them, id still like to get some opinions into what it is that keeps those of us staying in japan here.

Looking forward to hearing from the expats among us.

Im seriously considering moving to Japan.I have just come back from there, i was only there for two weeks and it has left a massive impact on me.When landing in Sydney i felt like catching the next plane back.Just the people i ran into just didnt give a f**k,for instance in Japan a person could be doing the most smallest meaningless job,yet they put 110% into it.

If for some reason i cant live in Japan i will be going back there as much as i can,maybe something will come out of it.

I dont blame you, lol and i concur over the difference in attitude towards people, in that respect.

Ive noticed that japanese people dont stick their noses in where they dont belong and that puts a whole new spin on the word privacy. Its also a very safe country. I havent had a single problem with any Japanese person for more than 3 years. The only problems ive had have been with a select few foreigners that were too ignorant to see their own faults... go figure.

I say go for it NYTSKY. If youre married thats a different story, but if not, why not?

Oh yeah, forgot to ask. What did you get up to while you were over here?

Edited by m3gtr

I started in Osaka.Saw the sights,went to Signal Auto,Osaka castle things like that.

Then to Tokyo,mainly for TAS and various racing circuits,but i did travel all around Tokyo,as far north as Tsukuba,west to Mt Fuji,east to Chiba and south to Yokohama.Had an absolute blast to say the least.Tried anything and everything,including Pachinko which i didnt fully understand.Not sure if i won anything lol.I have posted alot of stuff in the TAS thread,its in a bit more detail.

I'd be back up there tomorrow if I could get 'real' work. Always on the lookout.

And you're right, people are frendlier, more polite, harder working.. you get better food, better service, better cars. To top it all off you can actually live cheaper than in Oz because there are soo many options for everything and salaries are generally much better, especially for ex-pats.

Might not be for everyone, but for those of us who like that kind of thing... I can't think of any reason you would want to leave. I wont, next time.

I'd seriously consider staying too if I could get 'real' work. Level 1 in the Japanese test and an Electrical/Electronic Engineering degree (albeit a bit dated) still hasn't found me anything......... :wave:

Cheap cars, awesome roads, no cops to police them, cheap tracks, cheap parts, awesome food, awesome snowboarding, onsen, TV that makes less sense the more Japanese you can speak, a booming anti-balding hair treatment industry and snack bars I love this place. Australia isn't bad though either!

real work...i suppose thats defined as anything you enjoy doing, yeah? lol, Steve, you have いきゅ??!! shit mate i can hardly believe it. Youre basically a native speaker and you cant find work? I reckon you spend too much time in the pow pow and on the roads to go out and get yourself some plus you have to move to the big smoke to score it :P

Did anybody mention the gurls? Double edged sword that one. I love teaching, thats a motivation. I have had a class every wednesday night in tokyo with a great group of guys and i dont have to prepare anything...just rock up and drink with them! The conversation sorts itself out, lol...plus its $200 extra in my pocket every week. :P def a highlight./

I love the temples and gardens here. The shrines have always been fascinating. Ramen! I cant live without that now that ive had it. Akihabara is always interesting- cheap and plentiful electronics everywhere..2 GB micro SD cards are going for 1900 yen last time i checked. Cameras are a steal.

I love it how you can hop on a train from tokyo and one hour later your in the hills without a skyscaper in sight...its really easy to get away if you have the time and money. The shinkansen are awesome and so is drinking beer and eating bento on them.

I cant envision myself, being a loser back home,hahah, returning for anything else other than to invest money in property or business at some point...Life in Oz isnt as good i have to say. Lifes great here, but it does have many challenges.

Edited by m3gtr

Level 1, degree and living over there and you're still not getting work? Bugger, is it that hard these days? I applied for a few jobs from Oz mid last year and they all fobbed me off with the 'call us when you're here' line. Have since been promoted within my company here so put off Japan for at least another year or so.

I have been thinking about taking the Jetro business Japanese test to make the old CV look better, but not quite gotten around to it yet..

Ahhh Ramen, yeah.. I really miss good ramen, a plate of gyoza and a couple of nama chu's for lunch!!

Temples & gardens are good, but I really love the mountains. Skiing in winter, cold soba by the lakes in summer. Nothing like cruising up Gunma/Niigata way.

why do threads about this stuff always turn into people saying how much they love japan and saying they would love to come back and visit again or asking about work? ...

oh and dodgybrooks. . . not doubting your japanaese ability . . . but post up your statement of results. . . . someone with this kind of level shouldnt have "too much trouble" finding a job away from the English thing. I had a few IT job interviews and my japanese isnt that good.

m3gtr. the main reason I am still here is because my girl wants 1 more year with her family and we both want to continue saving at the rate we are ... however when april/ may 2009 comes around we are packing up and coming back to OZ. Ive grown very tired of this counrty recently. 1 more year should be about all I can handle. And put me at the 5 and a bit year mark.

oh and for people asking about job opportunities in Japan. If you dont speak native Japanese it is hard(but not impossible) to get a job in an area other than teaching english. Its also difficult to get a job in English now.

Edited by akeenan

why do threads about this stuff always turn into people saying how much they love japan and saying they would love to come back and visit again or asking about work? ...

oh and dodgybrooks. . . not doubting your japanaese ability . . . but post up your statement of results. . . . someone with this kind of level shouldnt have "too much trouble" finding a job away from the English thing. I had a few IT job interviews and my japanese isnt that good.

m3gtr. the main reason I am still here is because my girl wants 1 more year with her family and we both want to continue saving at the rate we are ... however when april/ may 2009 comes around we are packing up and coming back to OZ. Ive grown very tired of this counrty recently. 1 more year should be about all I can handle. And put me at the 5 and a bit year mark.

oh and for people asking about job opportunities in Japan. If you dont speak native Japanese it is hard(but not impossible) to get a job in an area other than teaching english. Its also difficult to get a job in English now.

well, i did start the thread based on what keeps us here and what would be the main attractions to being here/coming here.

Thanks for your input though...gotta ask, whats made you grow tired of Japan? Family i can understand, thats a complicated one especially when you have kids ( we dont..not yet ) but if your single or married, well its a good place to grow and develop i have to say.

have you thought of a reentry strategy..i heard the reverse gaijin syndrome is pretty nasty, even for those who have been here a short while.

what jobs could a guy from Oz get in Japan?

argument sake if he is a Tradesman here

You could get a job in Teaching, IT, banking and finance, graphic and interior design...but i will agree Japanese proficiency is important. I personally feel i would get a lot more out of this place financially if my Japanese was better. Having said that, i wouldnt just write the place off based on assumptions and advice. You make of it what you want. Opportunities will open up, thats for sure. Having Japanese friends in Oz is ALWAYS a good thing and can lead to many other things..at least thats what happened for me anyway. :D :D

Dodgy...Level 1....why not translating...bloke if ya love snowboarding then head to Niseko...there's still ridiculous opportunities there. I have 7 + years living there and Hokkaido, got my finger well and truly in the pie and that pie just gets bigger every year..Yep japanese think its a bubble..yep it will plataeu at some stage but the best is yet to come..the Chinese are hitting it in a big way and with over 2,000,000 skier/snowboarders...well thats alot of cash registers going bling, bling..

Seriously i have a love/hate relationship with this country..the candy..(girls) Awesome!!! Kabba Kura..I lov'em (remember my local night spot is Susukino, mention that to any japanese guy and watch his eyes light up) the country has some amazing beauty,fast cars,no hassles from cops and the people can be over the top friendly..There are still heaps of opportunity here...Summer here...beer,bbq's and girls,girls,girls...bloody heaven..Downsides..The Drivers...worst case of tunnel vision ever..I'm putting together a vid/photo of world most stupidest things done on a road...The paper work hoops you have to jump through..drive me crazy..the way they dont bend rules !! And the 2 word I hate the most...Shoganai...Mandokusai!!! Keep me away from the cricket bat!!

I've done a hell of alot of travelling and bumming around but life here now is sweet..great opportunites have been had and lifes good...wouldnt trade the time here for anything..been bloody fun..just need to hit the eject button now and again, get out for a holiday and come back fresh to jump back on the japanese merry go round..

Dodgy if your interested for hookups in Niseko rgarding work pm me..I'd be studying my chinese but..

I've left and returned to Japan ("for good" supposedly) about 3 times now... I get sick of the place and decide to leave, find out Australia has changed way too much to be acceptable... which is kind of obvious when you've been in JP for 6+ years all up... only then to return to Japan "for good", then leave again. I've accepted that this is the way things are now, and am setting up my situation to allow for, say, 9 months in Japan and 3 in Australia/Europe/US depending on certain things.

I get sick of the crowded places very easily now, whereas when I first got here it was awesome. Also the whole gaijin thing wears very thin the more years you have under your belt ie: you could stay in Japan for 30 years straight and have your own Dojo and be a popular 'Tarento' but still be considered a stupid gaijin by 99% of the population.

I keep coming back because of my wife and her family, they are just incredible support. Without them to make sense of all the quirky Japanese customs and traits people have I would've went home and stayed home al looooong time ago. I also love the "away from home" feeling of long term residency in another country... makes coming home for a holiday that much better. The car industry speaks for itself and is a nice secondary reason for staying in Japan... if you're into that of course.

Having said all that though, in recent years I've forgotten about all the usual foreigners complaints about living in Japan and have separated from that whole scene almost completely. I haven't been full time employed as a teacher for the last three years and just by having that buffer bewteen the Eigo Senseis and not having to listen to the same old problems and stories that you hear over and over again helps (me at least) to cope with my own personal integration into Japanese society... or "attempt" to integrate!

Everyone is different so what I've just typed out will pretty much be usueless to the next guy.

well I don't live in japan so I can't really comment on my experience. but I do travel there twice a year and it's harder to leave every time. I guess I have been flirting seriously with japan for about 2 years now, but Japan and I haven't finalised our courtship yet. So even though you do post a lot of garbage adam, I will give you this. BIG credit for doing what you wanted and moving to japan. big chance to take and lots of balls to do it. more than I can say for myself. having a comfortable life here with decent job, and friends, family, property etc are the only things that has kept me in aus.

so definitely big respect to the guys that took that chance and moved to a country that is about as foreign as it gets for most young aussie lads. well maybe north korea would be a bit more of a challenge...

I will also say that everyone I know who has moved there, hardly any of them who have made it work long did it for cars or to get chicks. you can experience both those things on a holiday. but what keeps people that I know there is the amazing depth of culture and the relationships built with others living in japan (both japanese and foreigners).

I think the "infatuation" with basic Japanese culture is a must for long term residency, because without it, it would be very easy to get into a revolving door of negativity until the point where you would be taking every oportunity to bad-mouth Japan. I've seen this happen and tried to reason with such people that it isn't as bad as what they think but couldn't get anywhere with them. Best just to say Sayonara at that point and put the experience down to 'wrong place at the wrong time' and move on.

I do know a few foreign residents in Japan who actually favour Japan over their home country, none of these happen to be Australian (all European except one American) though, and some almost have a disrespectful view of their home country... sounds a bit odd at first but would go a long way to explaining how they cope with being a gaijin day in, day out, without any thought of returning home in their lifetime.

I think the "infatuation" with basic Japanese culture is a must for long term residency, because without it, it would be very easy to get into a revolving door of negativity until the point where you would be taking every oportunity to bad-mouth Japan. I've seen this happen and tried to reason with such people that it isn't as bad as what they think but couldn't get anywhere with them. Best just to say Sayonara at that point and put the experience down to 'wrong place at the wrong time' and move on.

I do know a few foreign residents in Japan who actually favour Japan over their home country, none of these happen to be Australian (all European except one American) though, and some almost have a disrespectful view of their home country... sounds a bit odd at first but would go a long way to explaining how they cope with being a gaijin day in, day out, without any thought of returning home in their lifetime.

Well...you just met your first Aussie who does.