SAU Community

The Ins And Outs Of Cars In Japan

m3gtr

Before you do anything, make sure you consider all the hidden cost and potential risk involved.

Apart from what youve mentioned, you might want to consider the following:

1.Dealers in Australia will only take any BMW or MB for 50% of its trade in value. (Ive personally asked when I was back home)

2.Full comprehensive insurance in JP will be somewhere around 200,000~300,000 for a car of that value depending... (Mine is 490,000)

3.You will be looking at 20~35% tax ++ for something like that and, unlike Japanese Cars, it will be impossible to lie about the value given its value in Australia.

Now you have a car that owes you around, say... $65K. You want to sell it for 80 which 15~20K less than local cars.... How can you convince someone who will pay that much to justify a car with no warranty or local history. Adding to this, their loan will probably not be approved because of its history and lack of value...

Btw, your carpark will have to be upto 2kms from your address on your Alien card.

Just something to consider.. Good luck should you get something.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Before you do anything, make sure you consider all the hidden cost and potential risk involved.

Apart from what youve mentioned, you might want to consider the following:

1.Dealers in Australia will only take any BMW or MB for 50% of its trade in value. (Ive personally asked when I was back home)

2.Full comprehensive insurance in JP will be somewhere around 200,000~300,000 for a car of that value depending... (Mine is 490,000)

3.You will be looking at 20~35% tax ++ for something like that and, unlike Japanese Cars, it will be impossible to lie about the value given its value in Australia.

Now you have a car that owes you around, say... $65K. You want to sell it for 80 which 15~20K less than local cars.... How can you convince someone who will pay that much to justify a car with no warranty or local history. Adding to this, their loan will probably not be approved because of its history and lack of value...

Btw, your carpark will have to be upto 2kms from your address on your Alien card.

Just something to consider.. Good luck should you get something.

Thanks for that Ken. Im aware of the insurance and parking guidelines but im confused on a few things...

I definitely wont be going with a dealer...private sale only. Your numbers are pretty much what ive calculated too and i was aiming to at least walk away with the loan paid off and 10 to 15 thousand in the pocket. Unrealistic? Maybe... but worth a shot though, i tell myself.

I suppose i am trying to find a middle ground between what i paid for it and what the market value is for a similar car that was locally delivered ( all things considered )... hence the mark down..

I want to ask though, i thought customs goes by the value of the car as it was when it was bought in Japan? Richard was saying that its exempt from LCT if its around 4.5 million, for example. One other thing i dont understand is how a person will be knocked back on a loan because the car was a grey import? How do they sell Japanese grey imports? Are Euros looked at differently? :D

Are you dealing with the same things with yours? I suppose youre planning on doing the same thing, yeah?

So, if you could pick any car that would be totally worth exporting to Oz, what would you go with? Or have you already chosen? :dry:

I know, I know..20 questions... :D

When they apply for a car loan, they will have to provide specifics. Im certain that to cover themselves the credit company wants a local car to minimize headaches. Also insurances comes into play when they apply for the loan... and again, more hassles.

10-15 sounds good in theory and I hope you get it.. but for me, a 60K layout with all the risk only for 10-15K i(f that), seems not worth the time or trouble.

For example, I really wanted an AMG CLS but I knew that I would only expect to get 20K if I was lucky enough to move it.

Remembering also that MB buyers are older and wiser than your usual Nissan buyer. They would easily pay another 20K for a local car and would stay away from Imports.

Whats a good car? For starters, I wouldnt buy a 22B. You need something that you will like with maximum profitability and minimum risk and storage time.

Do your research. Its exciting, like buying stocks!

I got mine because even if I dont sell it, Id be happy to keep it with my family. So I dont really need to sell it fast.

Edited by N/A®

When they apply for a car loan, they will have to provide specifics. Im certain that to cover themselves the credit company wants a local car to minimize headaches. Also insurances comes into play when they apply for the loan... and again, more hassles.

10-15 sounds good in theory and I hope you get it.. but for me, a 60K layout with all the risk only for 10-15K i(f that), seems not worth the time or trouble.

For example, I really wanted an AMG CLS but I knew that I would only expect to get 20K if I was lucky enough to move it.

Remembering also that MB buyers are older and wiser than your usual Nissan buyer. They would easily pay another 20K for a local car and would stay away from Imports.

Whats a good car? For starters, I wouldnt buy a 22B. You need something that you will like with maximum profitability and minimum risk and storage time.

Do your research. Its exciting, like buying stocks!

I got mine because even if I dont sell it, Id be happy to keep it with my family. So I dont really need to sell it fast.

Hmmm... ;)

Maximum profitability and minimum risk... All i can come up with is Euro. Id thought of the S204, the Evo wagon, the NSX, the GTR, ( ...not the 35..dont have enough money ) a Lexus, a Merc ( but i dont want one for reasons you may have already read and know ), an Audi RS4, a bunch of TVR's, the R32 Golf, an Aston Martin DB7 for crying out loud... i mean...ive looked at a bunch of cars and taking your advice and Richards advice into account, an E46 M3 still stands out as a good all rounder with a solid resale. To be completely honest, even if i only break even and that would be a tragedy considering the car will end up being in better condition than most locally delivered examples, then i can tell myself it was great to have owned the car and enjoyed it for a year and i lost nothing. :D

Still. Thats not what im trying to do. You're being a bit cryptic mate but Im pretty sure i know which country of origin you think the car should come from though. And besides im not ready to stop at just one...the last car will be the one i want to own above all others and it isnt an M3... :)

Youre dead sure about the other stuff though, yeah?

If so, just buy a Japanese car that some young foolish guy will buy. Japanese cars are extra special if its an Import. European cars are not.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice what you like for what is smart.

Dont have to listen to me. Use your own judgement.

I just wished the 360 Modenas here came in RHD :)

Edited by N/A®

If so, just buy a Japanese car that some young foolish guy will buy. Japanese cars are extra special if its an Import. European cars are not.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice what you like for what is smart.

Dont have to listen to me. Use your own judgement.

I just wished the 360 Modenas here came in RHD ;)

Thanks for the advice Ken, I really appreciate it. Youve cleared up a lot. Im pretty sure I know what decision i need to make. :)

I TOTALLY agree on the Fezza...i have not come across ONE modern Fezza thats RHD... what is the deal with that anyway?

Porsche is almost the same...although not impossible. Even in the M3 range, i have not seen ONE convertible E46 M3 in the last 4 months of searching...its like BMW just didnt bother to send them to Japan...???

Edited by m3gtr

Oh and while i remember, i saw you cruising through Akiba. Thats a mighty nice 6...you looked right at home in it.

Ken is right. no-one in aus will give secured finance against an import (or pretty much any private sale car). they will however if it is sold by a dealer. it's quite the pain.

Ken is right. no-one in aus will give secured finance against an import (or pretty much any private sale car). they will however if it is sold by a dealer. it's quite the pain.

I dont understand. How do people get cars when they are owned privately? They pay cash? I must be missing something. Who has 80 thousand in cash to spend on a car?

Unless ofcourse youre talking about grey imports, but arent there thousands of "grey" imports>?

Im going to need some clarification...im a bit thick. :O

well remember that the majority of imports sold in aus are sold by dealers. that is a different story, banks will give you secured finance agaisnt a car bought from a dealer. as for the rest, either people pay with their own hard earned money, or they secure finance against another asset, or if possible they get unsecured finance, or they go to a second tier lender.

it's the same for pretty much any used, privately sold car.

You can also get a personal loan but as you can imagine, there are limits of around 20~30K.

Ferraris dont come in RHD at all here. Some MB come in both forms, and others only LHD. For example, a 350SL is available in left and right hand drive but the majority of them are left. The 500SL however only in LHD.

well remember that the majority of imports sold in aus are sold by dealers. that is a different story, banks will give you secured finance agaisnt a car bought from a dealer. as for the rest, either people pay with their own hard earned money, or they secure finance against another asset, or if possible they get unsecured finance, or they go to a second tier lender.

it's the same for pretty much any used, privately sold car.

If thats true let me speak hypothetically. Lets say i have a "friend" who happens to be a "dealer"...

And this "friend" agrees to take the car in under his business/trade name for a modest profit once i have landed it in Oz...

Since the car has been placed on the lot, prospective buyers will be able to source financing, correct? ;)

or dead wrong? :P

yes they will. providing the car is less than 5 years old. most banks will not finance a car purchase on any car over 5 years. some will though.

Great. So the M3 has to be a 2004 model at the very minimum. Thats going to work out just fine.

This is a linkey poo to one of the better cars ive found.. its got the works...but, strangely..no Shaken?

2005, 25 thousand on the clock, great options list and a good colour combo... whats wrong with it i wonder?

http://www.gooworld.jp/used/spread/goow/13...0080209002.html

Can you guys advise on what its going to cost to get this thing past the pits or will the dealer take care of that for a fee?

Heres one for you too Ken...your 6 has a navi that came standard..how will you modify it to suit Aussie maps and radio frequency? Laurence was telling me its easy to do..but its one of the only concerns i have with the car. In mercs for example, its a f**king great big headache...complete unit replacement ( upwards from 6 thousand minus labour ) but ive been told not so with the bimmer.

Any advice on the navi?

Edited by m3gtr

well I wouldn't worry too much about other peoples finance when choosing the car. where there is a will there is a way. but yeah, it's one aspect.

sorry Richard you lost me. One aspect?

I mean people being able to get finance is only one aspect of selling a car. :pwned:

and where there is a will there is a way. like I described above. using another asset to securitse the finance, getting a personal loan (ie unsecured finance), paying for it with money they earned. etc.

Ahh gotcha. Its looking good. Now.,..to find the right car.

On with the hunt.

Ill let you know what i end up getting. :pwned:

Heres one for you too Ken...your 6 has a navi that came standard..how will you modify it to suit Aussie maps and radio frequency? Laurence was telling me its easy to do..but its one of the only concerns i have with the car. In mercs for example, its a f**king great big headache...complete unit replacement ( upwards from 6 thousand minus labour ) but ive been told not so with the bimmer.

Any advice on the navi?

There is a hell of a difference between an E39 or E46 generation BMW and a E63.

My friend's car was the 4:3 screen navigation in a E39 540i so even the generation jump to E46 may render his experience irrelevant to you.

My advice to help you sleep better would be to buy a car without navigation.

There is a hell of a difference between an E39 or E46 generation BMW and a E63.

My friend's car was the 4:3 screen navigation in a E39 540i so even the generation jump to E46 may render his experience irrelevant to you.

My advice to help you sleep better would be to buy a car without navigation.

Whats he said ;)

I have IDrive!

Actually, I havent really looked to far into that. Worst case scenario, Ill change it. It doesnt bother me much as I personally like the car.

But if it came down between a BMW or a MB, my advice would be to go with the BMW because;

1.Stronger resale value in Aus.

2.Younger target market.

If I may ask, what is your actual budget. Remembering it would have to be purchased in cash without a loan.

Spoke to a friend in Aus who actually has one. He bought it new and it has 20,000kms on it now. Says he only expects aroudn 90K for it today.

Also think about the maintainance on the car. My family has a E60 5 Series and just the wiper alone was $500 from the dealer!! :pwned:

Also, I wouldnt worry about cars with no shaken. Doesnt mean anything. They just put it on when you buy it. Just means an extra 150~200,000.

Edited by N/A®