SAU Community

Nytsky's Engine Build

OK people the engine is finally in!

The fuel rail,fuel lines,injectors,coils,pumps,power steering and lines are all done.

All of the harnesses,plugs and connections are done also.

Just have to do the vacuum lines and move a few things about. Aswell as the gearbox and tailshaft.

Had the engine in and out 3 times as the external oil drain gave a bit of grief clearance wise. A small patch of the firewall was "massaged" back an inch and then painted. Turned out really good in the end.

Pics will be up next week :domokun:

EDIT: BRIDE seat is in too.Man that thing is snug :O

AWESOME!

i was hoping you'd get it in. good work dave. I spent the whole day on my brakes lol.

cya soon

Was about to give you a call on sat night Jeff. I needed an extra body to help me lift the gearbox in. But the garage floor was friggin' cold and threw in the towel :)

Thursday,Friday ill have it all finished........WOW cant believe i just typed that,the car has been off the road now for 5 months.

OK people the engine is finally in!

The fuel rail,fuel lines,injectors,coils,pumps,power steering and lines are all done.

Pics will be up next week :)

NICE! Been keeping a real eye on this thread, will help me decide on whether to keep the GT30R/RB25 combination :P How hard are you going to push the tune when you do it? It'd be rude not to crack the 20psi mark!

NICE! Been keeping a real eye on this thread, will help me decide on whether to keep the GT30R/RB25 combination :) How hard are you going to push the tune when you do it? It'd be rude not to crack the 20psi mark!

14psi for the run in tune,and 20-22psi for the full tune.

22psi is alot of boost to run on pump fuel. See how the motor likes it on the day,though i would like to see how much i can squeeze out of the turbo before we settle on a good reliable tune/boost setting.

14psi for the run in tune,and 20-22psi for the full tune.

22psi is alot of boost to run on pump fuel. See how the motor likes it on the day,though i would like to see how much i can squeeze out of the turbo before we settle on a good reliable tune/boost setting.

Ahh yeah sounds like a good idea, on both levels :) 22psi is pretty much where I'd be going high boost as well. 20-22psi is high but really a safe limit for pump gas, so long as you have a good tuner etc - I know people running way more than that, but they are certifiable.

Really looking forward to seeing the results on 20-22psi, it should go very very well.

Edited by Lithium

Ahh yeah sounds like a good idea, on both levels :) 22psi is pretty much where I'd be going high boost as well. 20-22psi is high but really a safe limit for pump gas, so long as you have a good tuner etc. More competitive people I know are running as high as 28-29psi on pump gas (98RON) and have been for some time without issue.

29psi with a GT30R?

29psi with a GT30R?

DOH I was a bit slow on editing it, I was just talking about boost level in general. No, not on a GT30R - there's probably no point going over 22psi on your setup... sounds like just the right level :)

Edited by Lithium

Yeh, the guys at GCG told me the efficiency range for the .82 housing starts at 18 and will go to about 25psi.

So i think 20-22 will be a comfortable number.

Well after 2 days of trying to get the gearbox on,its finally on.

But i had to remove all of my hard work and pull the motor out again!!! :D

For some silly reason the input shaft wasnt going in properly.The splines would align but stop about 10mm of being flush with the block.

So the decision was made to pull the motor out....again....for the 4th time.

Off the car the input shaft wasnt going in properly, so i removed the clutch,had alook then tried to align the clutch plate as straight as i could.

Clutch back on still didnt line up. As i was about to give up i just gave it one more half assed attempt and donk! Slid straight in.

Which kind of pissed me off because i didnt do anything different to what i had been doing for the past 11ty billion hours.

So then the box and engine went in together,which was very stressful.

But anyway the engine and trans are in,with all the ancillaries. Tail shaft will go on tomorrow.

So a week or two from now ill be getting all the piping done and she'll be ready for a drink of oil and the install of the Haltech.

Then fired up :banana:

should instal the haltech wiring now while your loom is out, i got a LTX12 that im installing before i put the motor in, however im also getting the engine tuned and run in before it gets into the car lol.

acually, when you put the engine back in with the gearbox attached, did you have any clearence issues with the oil return 90degree bend comming from the back of the head?? just thought about it since you have to have more of a angle to get the box in... unless you got a high engine crane and jack the car up a bit.

Safe boost pressures come down to if your within your turbo's efficency range, and if your tuner can tune the car accordingly. Highest boosts ive seen and experienced on 98 octane was was 30lb on a 2jz making a little over 500rwhp (GT35R), and a RB3025 with 32lb making 625rwhp(custom T51 varient). 4th gear traction loss at 180K's, yes.

If your engine has the forged pistons and rods to support at least 100hp per cylinder whats holding you back...

Edited by Vspec R33

should instal the haltech wiring now while your loom is out, i got a LTX12 that im installing before i put the motor in, however im also getting the engine tuned and run in before it gets into the car lol.

acually, when you put the engine back in with the gearbox attached, did you have any clearence issues with the oil return 90degree bend comming from the back of the head?? just thought about it since you have to have more of a angle to get the box in... unless you got a high engine crane and jack the car up a bit.

Im buying a flying lead for the Haltech so its plug and play.The oil drain was a bit an issue but we managed in the end.

Safe boost pressures come down to if your within your turbo's efficency range, and if your tuner can tune the car accordingly. Highest boosts ive seen and experienced on 98 octane was was 30lb on a 2jz making a little over 500rwhp (GT35R), and a RB3025 with 32lb making 625rwhp(custom T51 varient). 4th gear traction loss at 180K's, yes.

If your engine has the forged pistons and rods to support at least 100hp per cylinder whats holding you back...

We will see how it goes when the engine is run in,i wouldnt like to boost it over 22 psi as my comp ratio is slightly higher than standard.

The GT3076R when I looked for and chose one looked like it'd be best used at around 22psi on a built RB25DET so there isn't a huge amount of use for it over that. Its a nice not overly laggy turbo on an RB25 so with 22psi there should be a huge fat power delivery, it'll be wicked for a road car that can do drag and track. Just because the engine CAN make 100hp/cyl doesn't mean you are obliged to - it just adds one part of the equation to get what you want out of it.

Highest power pump gas/power per litre car I've been in was a still 2litre EVO 2 running a .82a/r GT3582R running ~2bar of boost putting down just under 500whp (125whp/cyl), way faster than any daily driveable 4cyl street car should be.