SAU Community

Straight Line Performance

Amir

Was on the xr6T forum today. They were comparing the new F6 with the w427. There speculating the F6 will have around 600nm of torque and about 320-330kw, compared to the w427 with 370kw and 650nm? torque. the F6 will probably cost 1/2 the price and may actually keep up with the w427.

Now I think the R35 doesnt weigh all that much less than the F6 and w427. It has less torque than both and its power figure sits in the middle of both.

Would it be reasonable to say that the F6 or the w427 could out accelerate the R35 if they were rolling and did not loose traction?

Im not too keen on anything with 7L but the F6 with launch control could be a ball tearer.

Was on the xr6T forum today. They were comparing the new F6 with the w427. There speculating the F6 will have around 600nm of torque and about 320-330kw, compared to the w427 with 370kw and 650nm? torque. the F6 will probably cost 1/2 the price and may actually keep up with the w427.

Now I think the R35 doesnt weigh all that much less than the F6 and w427. It has less torque than both and its power figure sits in the middle of both.

Would it be reasonable to say that the F6 or the w427 could out accelerate the R35 if they were rolling and did not loose traction?

Im not too keen on anything with 7L but the F6 with launch control could be a ball tearer.

There was a comparison on the LS1 forums and the outcome of that discussion was that the R35 is quicker to 100 and down the quarter than it by a fair whack. So in short, in a straight line at least, no those cars couldn't keep up.

Well hard to say, I dont really know what both of the local offerings will hit the scales at. I know the GTR is heavy but it does make as much as the 427...I would still tip the Skyline to be a bit quicker.I believe one of the latest motor magazines compares some 427 holden against BMW and Merc.This car was tested making 400 kw ( according to the magazine )..it was quicker than both, but it only ran a 12.8 according to their tests..I am not sure this is the same car as HSV is building ( Maybe an aftermarket job ) but a 12.8 ..? I was expecting a low 12 or high 11 ...Dont really know much about what Ford is building. Potential is there to be fast..who knows

There's probably enough literature and automotive tests on w427 and the R35 (japanese version) to make a punt on who'd come out quicker. But then again, it's not really a fair comparison as the R35 has two less doors and is built ground up as a competitor to the Porsche 911.

There was a comparison on the LS1 forums and the outcome of that discussion was that the R35 is quicker to 100 and down the quarter than it by a fair whack. So in short, in a straight line at least, no those cars couldn't keep up.

i would have thought this would be due to traction. i have a feeling if they were rolling and had no traction loss these cars would keep up.

There would be many factors at play here... traction, gearing, aerodynamics... even the power figures nissan have given are underestimated (see latest dyno results for the R35).

No way will the F6 come out with 320+kw, try 300...and no they won't compete with the GT-R.

i would have thought this would be due to traction. i have a feeling if they were rolling and had no traction loss these cars would keep up.

The W427 and Typhoon will both be using either manuals or torque converting autos. Even if all else was equal, they wouldn't keep up on that alone.

The 997 Turbo has the same power and less weight than the GT-R (and both are AWD with fat, soft, rubber), but as it doesn't have the instantaneous gearchanges the cars are line ball in a straight line. The two cars' manuals are nowhere near as smooth and easy to use as the Porsche's, so they'll be slower. If you got the autos, they're only marginally quicker than the manual cars.

Unfortunately, not all else is equal. The GT-R's aerodynamics are far better than the two sedans', so once you get up to speed the GT-R will still dominate.

Only if you're talking about an high-gear roll start at low speeds and the R35 is off-boost will the 7.0L Holden have a chance of winning.

The best a current F6 has run was a 12.9 stock, the new ones will most likely be the same or slower die to a smaller turbo.

The would not have a hope in hell against a R35, neither will a 427 commonhore.

I would have to say the GTR, namely

horsepower / weight similar?

traction superior

gearbox changes faster

launch control

For the Ford to be quicker,

- it needs to match the traction (i.e. not one of those dodgy systems where the car puts on the brakes to stop wheel spin in acceleration. So without AWD, and assuming a good TCS then it would need the right tyres to make up for this

- gearbox either needs as quick a gearchange or no change at all i.e. 1st gear all the way to 100km/hr

launch control or an ace driver to make up for the balance of revs/wheelspin without smokin' it or bogging down

So it might be possible with equivalent power/weight and an 'ace' driver to keep up / maybe win but then the GTR will have repeatable performance.

A guy I worked with modded his XR6T so it had 355hp at the rears and it used to freak him out, the traction control would cut in and slow the car down enough to make him think he was going to get t-boned! it shows that a RWD TCS is not really a match for an AWD

Also if you haven't seen this article from Edmunds, then it is not too bad a read - especially for Nissan fans

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/...rticleId=124017

A rolling start certainly doesnt take traction out of the equation, dont you think if you put your foot down in a 300rwkw car, it will wheelspin at 80km/h, all the traction control does is reduce the power, hence the AWD wins.

A rolling start certainly doesnt take traction out of the equation

Lets think about that, based on my post that we're responding directly to Amir's question in the first post of this thread?

(Emphasis added by me, spelling mistake is by him)

Would you care to revise your statement, given the context of his question?

Edited by scathing