SAU Community

Clutch for 250rwkw?

About a week after changing to the rb25 turbo, my clutch hasnt been too happy, for a few reasons. I guess the extra power has worn the clutch, and it had run out of adjustment, which resulted in no fre-play and has effectivly rooted the clutch. Ive found out that the gearbox whine is only the thrust? bearing because of no freplay, but im going to have to buy a new clutch.

Im after a clutch that i dont need to go on steroids to use, but wont need upgrading when i go for my proper turbo/ecu upgrade. What do you guys recommend, and how much would i be looking for the clutch, and how much extra would it cost to install?

Im guessing that the stronger the clutch, the more bighty it gets, so i know i wont get the best of both worlds. Im in brisbane, so where can be recommended up here?

I am going to be honest with you luke,

I have driven a R33 with a twin plate setup, and a R33 with a strong single. (with the same power output as yourself). Personaly i would take the single in this situation for 3 reasons:

1. Cheaper. (for a really good single your looking at around the $700 mark)

2. Doesnt rattle around like a 1986 VL taxi.

3. It will suit your power application perfectly.

if you would like the best of both worlds: (play & grip) i would recommend getting a cushioned ceramic button clutch:

http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/mall/ck06.asp

take a look, they deliver anywhere.

Cheers,

Trev.

Go the twin plate.

I bought a 9 button ceramic-ferride Xtreme clutch when I toasted my stocky. It was ok for a while, but started protesting after about 6 months - this is with only just over 200rwkw.

I then got a twin plate, the clutch I would have got in the first place had I the funds at the time. Much better, and I know it will hold even when/if I do the 3L conversion I have planned (if the RB25 dies).

A single plate clutch that can handle 250 rwkw will be grippy as hell - therefore you will shudder every single time you take off in first, even worse when you are taking off on a hill.

I know this because I have one. Next clutch I get will be twin plate.

matlowth (on this forum) is running a full faced organic single plate clutch. also producing over 300RWKW on a RB30/25. and drives it to work.

proof is in the pudding.

listen if youve got the dosh get the twin, if your scrap for cash grab a good single.

Probably best to buy direct from Japan, will save you some dosh. I got mine 2nd-hand and had it rebuilt:D I had a Nismo 5-puck clutch in my car, only last a few months and was a prick to drive. I'm much happier with the drivability of the twin-plate:D

You get what you pay for. There are single-plate clutches that will handle that sort of power, but they won't be as consistent as a twin-plate. I used an OS Giken twin plate in my R34 with 280-295kW at the wheels. It could handle any kind of abuse and still behave almost like a normal clutch in traffic.

Hi benhpi and welcome to the forums:)

If you dont mind, could you tell me what the turbo is like with such a large turbine AR on a 2.5L?

(this is assuming you are the ben who has just fitted a GT30 turbo in HPI mag - great read by the way, never miss it:D)

Thanks for the reply.

I just noticed I put the wrong turbo on the post.

I am acutally doing a very similar build with a HKS 3037S so I think thats why I put the wrong one down (edited:)).

Congrats on the time - into the 11s with street tyres awesome!

Also good to see someone sticking with stock internals and making such good power. Seems so many people here dont think it can be done safely, when all they need to do is look to the birthplace of the skyline.

My head gasket and cams arrive on friday:)

Once again welcome to the forums, good to see you here.

Steve,

I'm gonna do this with my 3.0L conversion......

r33turbokit.jpg

Should be boosting at 3000-3500 !!!

Hey Ben - Welcome to SAU - luv your work ! ;)