SAU Community

Cleaning Headlights

hi guys, its about my R34 headlights

i got this yellowish mark inside my headlight, well i dont quite know how to explain it but you guys probably know anyway the good old mark in old car headlight..

question is simple how to get rid off it?? :P

I want it to be nice clear and shiny, i asked a guy who sells HIDs but he said if he opened it up, polish it, and close it again, it wouldnt be perfect and when rain comes, some water vapour will get inside and shit and leaves water marks..

cheers

This has been covered many times before mate. Next time do a search, but you can just use and polish to remove the yellow cover depending on how bad it is. If something like Maguires Scratch X doesn't work then you'll have to open up the head light. To do that, you'll need to put the headlight in your oven to melt the glue, open, clean, etc.

The reason the HID guy told you it won't be perfect is because most people don't buy new seals, they just re-heat and stick the cover back on. If you got new glue to seal it up, it should be like new.

I've also been told that using a tire cleaner cleans the yellowish residue off well, havent tried it myself but its worth a go before opening the light up

• 2 weeks later...

just use some cut and polish . kitten works well , then use something smoother . buff it well with heaps of elbow grease. i sanded my headlights right back from 400 gritt all the way to 2000 gritt . they turned out un believable. i also did it to a friends car , and the sprayed his headlights with clear gloss and they havent got yellow ever since. perfection

Ive got the $h!t...

crystal coating for your lights DIY kit for $40

is that just another polishing compound? or does it do something to prevent discolouration from occuring again?

:D:(:) guys, c-red actually polished my headlights when i did my 10k service, he uses some kind of japanese plastic cleaner... :D GO JAPANESE!!

works excellent, was very happy, and the guy said u can get similar plastic cleaner from super cheap auto, so im gonna do that the next time its need a clean!!

thx for the reply anyway, prob solved :D

autosol.jpg

this shit does a fkn excellent job on the front headlights

lol i polished mine today they were a dull browny coulor i thought it was on the inside but it was on the outside they came up like new

eyy buddy their is this stuff that looks like cut and polish, but you just rub it on the headlights and it gets rid of all that shit... my mate showed me it i can get you the name of it if you like. but it does a bloody good job lol

Permatex, Headlight restoration kit. This involves wet sanding your lights with a fine wet dry in 3 stages. then using the plastic polish supplied in the kit to finish it off. 30 bucks a kit does 2 lights easily. I have used it and it goes awesome.

If you have mad yellow lights you just sand more. you see it all come off in the water you sand with. then the polish smooths the scratches and your lenses are clear again.

I know Autobarn stock this. But i suppose anyone who stocks permatex can too!

WHAT? how come when ive used the autosol metal polish, it didn't come up clean as new? Should i rub it HARDCORE for 30 mins straight? no seriously do i? :|

Edited by R33Turbo