SAU Community

Race History of GODZILLA.

In 1991 and to capitalise on the car's competition success, Nissan Oz imported a batch of road-going GT-Rs. Just 100 of the 2.6-litre, twin-turboed 'six' with 4WD and four-wheel steer were in the first boatload and priced at $107,000 each. At a time when the cheapest Porsche 911 in the book was worth a neat $60,000 more than the Nissan, hopes were high that those 100 'Zillas would be sold within minutes of word spreading. It didn't happen. At the end of 1992 and coinciding with the car's banishment from Touring Car competition the sales tally stood at 67 cars and Nissan announced that no more would be imported. Officially, anyway.

How can we still import r32 gtr's if they were sold locally?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, a few (think either 100 or 500) we sold locally, so that the car would qualify into the races as a production car. They were manufactured overseas then brought down and modified in Australia and then sold to the public for ludicrous amounts of money.

You can still buy em coz they were grey imports back then too. Same reason why you could buy a 99 Beetle in australia from a dealer OR you could import one yourself... some cars have different regulations on em to others.

By that theory then I should be able to import a '99 Prelude then, coz Honda don't make em or sell em any more... but you can't coz it was a production model in Australia.

But anyway this convo is way off topic, feel free to start a new thread regarding this.

R31Nismoid,

I have something you may be interested in.

It is a video of the 1990 ATCC with a lot of R31 camera in the car stuff.

It has shortened highlights or segments of all the rounds including Godzilla's first.

I got it at a car book shop in Parramatta in NSW. They had more copies, and other ATCC years also..........

Hooks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some of you have some very good racing info. I particularly keen to find any info on the GTR that raced in the James Hardie 12 hour race at bathurst in 1993. Can anyone help me out? I'd looove to see pics or a vid.

• 2 weeks later...

Standing ovation!Mate,that's gotta be THE most devoted set of fingertips to have tapped all that out!With all sincerity,thankyou for taking the time to look into the GTR's earliest days!Now all I need to do is find someone who has the same level of knowledge and dedication to write about the roadgoing R32 GTR and it's various developments and incarnations!

That is a copy out of that skys the limit book. There is a PDF of the complete book floating around here somewhere.

Anyone know who wrote/published this "Sky's the Limit" book?I'm trying to find it everywhere,but coming up blank everytime...

Moi

It can be downloaded from http://www.overflow.250x.com/_framed/250x/...elimitshort.htm

The Bathurst GT-R content is included, though not totally up-to-date.

The Obakemono Downunder (the Aussie GT-R racing history) is also available in full online: http://www.overflow.250x.com/_framed/250x/...0Downunder.html The content is more up to date, with a few spelling corrections and a few small additions.

Cheers,

G

• 1 month later...
Moi

It can be downloaded from http://www.overflow.250x.com/_framed/250x/...elimitshort.htm

The Bathurst GT-R content is included, though not totally up-to-date.

The Obakemono Downunder (the Aussie GT-R racing history) is also available in full online: http://www.overflow.250x.com/_framed/250x/...0Downunder.html The content is more up to date, with a few spelling corrections and a few small additions.

Cheers,

G

Graeme did those wheels magazine cover pages help un ravel any confusement with the godzilla debate?

Cheers,

Gareth