SAU Community

My Importing Journey

hanyou

Hi Guys,

I thought i should share some info with the rest of the forum of what exactly happens when you import a car. I've never imported a car so this is also a first time experience. I hope it brings some insight and clears up most questions for those looking to import! I'll list everything possible no matter how small the detail for those who ask to many questions like me lol.

OK first things, I was looking at a few of the importing websites just randomly and i found the car of my dreams, its a 94' Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R V-Spec II.

Specs:

8/94 Build Date

Crystal White (326)

75,000km

Blitz Air Filters

Blitz FMIC

Blitz Catback Exhaust

Aftermarket Suspension

18" Advan SAR3 Wheels (black centre with red lip)

R33 GT-R Seats

Nismo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob

Factory Brembos

This was available as dealer stock from import brokers J-Spec Imports (www.j-spec.com.au). Now at the time i was just browsing, though i couldnt let this one up. I sent a email to j-spec to see if they could hold the car for me whilst i organise my cash and Ben at J-spec replied quite promptly and was happy to help me with this. J-Specs estimated cost of this car on the day was $21,300 landed and complied (landed estimate includes shipping, import duty, GST, compliance, service fee and de-gassing the air conditioning system as required by the Dept of the Environment and Heritage - new tyres and normal registration costs are not included).

So the journey begins:

21/04/2008

I transfered the brokers fee to J-Spec for the amount of $1000 and signed the paperwork so that they could hold the car for me.

29/04/2008

This part shouldnt have taken so long, however it was with the banks who took their sweet ass time with the approval process. Anyway i received the invoice from J-spec to pay for the car and the FOB price which amounted to ¥1,290,000.00. This equated to $13,405.76 on the day of transfer + the $30 Telegraphic Transfer fee from the bank.

02/05/2008

Once payment was cleared, J-Spec recommended me to get in contact with Greg at MacJap Motors in Whetheril Park (Western Suburbs Sydney) to organise compliance. Greg was really helpfull in explaining to me clearly of what the process was. I signed the necessary paper work and quickly transfered the deposit of $1000 for Greg to start the compliance papers and approval. The total cost to be paid for compliance is $2500 + GST and doesnt include the removal and re-install of the aftermarket parts and new tyres. From here on, its a waiting game untill J-spec can book the car on the next ship to Sydney.

13/05/2008

Greg has informed me that my import approval for the car has arrived. He is also asking who will be taking care of customs clearance and would prefer that his shop handles this process for convenience (awaiting j-spec to confirm if this is ok). He requires the export certificate from japan (for his records) which im waiting on j-spec to forward to him. Also the car will need a certificate of de-gassing if the car has Freon 12 refrigerant in the air conditioning system, but if it has R134A he can take care of it at a small fee. I've requested an update from J-spec today asking if there is any news on the shipping since the holiday in Japan ended yesterday.

14/05/08

Agreement has been made that J-spec will care of import clearance through: Kiwi Cars for transport and Seaway for customs clearance. Greg to send a copy of the import approval to J-spec. J-spec to send the original BL and export certificate to Greg when they receive it. Being a 1994 model the car will have the R134A aircon system so that's no problem. Current tentative booking is a departure date of May 30th. I've asked for an update from J-spec on a rough estimate of what i have left to pay for on their end of the job.

16/05/08

Car will be leaving on the Magic Wind V21 from Japan on the 28th May. Current ETA to land in Sydney will be June 13th (my birthday!).

05/06/2008

A rep from Seaway customs got in contact with me today and i had to sign a license of agreement (just the terms and conditions for customs). I asked what the next steps were in the process and he told me as soon as customs and AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service) clears the car it will be sent directly to my compliance shop.

Finally I asked when the next payment is due and he said it would be a few days before the car lands in Brisbane (payment is for customs/shipping/tax) - Ben at J-spec has estimated this cost to be about $4900 for my car. Its expected to land on the 26th June. Im wating on J-spec to confirm this because they were expecting the car to land on the 13th June - i must stress the fact im not angry at all about the change of the landing date as it was just guestimate from j-spec even before the car was put on the ship to Australia. Im just making sure im getting the right information cause i like to ask quesions :)

Total costs paid to date: $15,435.76

I'll keep updating when i get more news!

On a side note, mods/parts i've started to collect for when my car is in my hands :(

- HKS 2530's

- ARC Titanium Strut Brace

- ARC Titanium Radiator Panel

- ARC 1.5 Bar Radiator Cap

- Greddy Radiator Hardpipe

- Greddy Oil Filter Relocator Kit

- HKS EVC III Electronic Boost Controller

- HKS Hardpipe Cooler Kit

- Defi Control Unit II

- Defi Link Display (+ sensors for Boost, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, RPM and Water Temp)

- OEM Rear 'GTR' Emblem

- OEM Rear 'Nissan' Emblem

- OEM Skyline Hood Ornament Emblem

Thanks guys,

Aarlan

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice and informative write up.

I was looking into that option but might not have the patience when the funds are available :) .

You might as well get a pic of the new machinery up for us!

Sounds very nice.

people charge for that?

did you get quotes from other compliance workshops?

Also, you do realize that FMIC cars can't be complied since they usually cut holes in the car to install it......probably best to remove the name of the compliance workshop from the post since both they and the car could get in trouble (no one from DOTARS is on SAU, right?)

doesnt include the removal and re-install of the aftermarket parts and new tyres

people charge for that?

Also, you do realize that FMIC cars can't be complied since they usually cut holes in the car to install it......probably best to remove the name of the compliance workshop from the post since both they and the car could get in trouble (no one from DOTARS is on SAU, right?)

Please don't scare and or confuse the people. You are thinking of GTS-T's.

Gt-R's came with FMIC's from factory & installing the replacements usually doesn't require anything at all in the way of cutting.

Edited by djr81

Oh.....that's good to know.

sorry if anyone got scared from my message.

but yeah, to the car owner, like djr81 said, just make sure there are no holes cut in the body and you should be fine.

Please don't scare and or confuse the people. You are thinking of GTS-T's.

Gt-R's came with FMIC's from factory & installing the replacements usually doesn't require anything at all in the way of cutting.

lol - I didn't do much better - until I saw the pics I thought you'd bought an R34 GT-R, not an R32 and was reading the price going, "What the hell?!"

Nice car - good luck with the importing process. If you have spare parts inside the car, might be best to avoid Kiwi Car Carriers at the moment if you can.

Oh.....that's good to know.

sorry if anyone got scared from my message.

but yeah, to the car owner, like djr81 said, just make sure there are no holes cut in the body and you should be fine.

Oh and make sure there is no holes/rust in the floors or underbody right Dave??? :blink:

To be sure to be sure

Dave :(

whoa crap didnt realise this would be a popular thread lol,

happy to be back in the skyline family!

yes the wheels are going to be the first to go lol

unfortuantely i wont have any updates for a while due to the holiday in japan which ends on the 12th may.

thanks for all the comments :blink:

people charge for that?

you do do compliance work right? if you have any have a look at a GTR some time. they all have front mounted intercoolers as standard... I am stunned. I hope you haven't knocked peoples GTRs back for FMIC before... :P

mate...I'm the freaking IT guy here at Carizma! I don't knock back any cars. (That's Jon or Marc's job)

I just wasn't sure how big a Blitz intercooler was.....if it's too big, they gotta cut holes in the body, right?

you do do compliance work right? if you have any have a look at a GTR some time. they all have front mounted intercoolers as standard... I am stunned. I hope you haven't knocked peoples GTRs back for FMIC before... :)

haha, no prob, fair enough!

and well usually the problem with other model cars with FMIC is they cut holes in the inner guard to allow the pipe work to pass through. since GTRs already have factory fitted FMIC the holes are already there and are big enough. the other problem is of course cars desinged without FMIC in mind need the front reo cut or even removed (!) to allow it to fit behind the bumper. Since all GTRs already have FMIC from factory there is enough space there to fit many aftermarket FMICs, though some with very thick cores will require some trimming of the reo which is usually only very minor. at worst the reo is easily replaced for a new on and the IC is replaced for a stock one. but on GTSTs etc holes cut in the inner guard/rails cannot be reversed and you are right may well be rejected.