SAU Community

Tokyo Auto Salon 2009!

NYTSKY

Hi all,

As you may know the dates for the Tokyo Auto Salon have been announced. 9/1/09 to 11/1/09.

I went for the first time last year and can say it was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. If you have not seen the 35GTR up close then this will be the perfect chance see it, not only in standard form!

Though the Tokyo Auto Salon is the major draw card, Japan itself is probably the best country i have visited (been to a few). To immerse yourself into the culture is a great experience. People a very friendly and the language barrier is as not as hard to get around as you might think.

So pull your finger out people and plan ahead for a great trip. There are a few threads on things to do and see, plus helpful tips on directions and maps that will aid in finding what you want and when.

If you want a JR pass cheap go to JTB. They do not charge a fee like all the aussie travel companies do.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/To...Wa-t155344.html

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Tu...he+tuning+shops

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ni...l=Nismo+factory

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Tr...l=Nismo+factory

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ja...l=Nismo+factory

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/To...l=Nismo+factory

• 4 weeks later...

I was there for this year's Auto Salon and have booked in to be there for the whole weekend in 2009. I had the best time of my life this year and am looking forward to another great year next year.

See the Aussies there in 2009 :yes:

I came in this forum to post this but i see i've been beaten to it.

Anyway I am 100% there in Jan. Booking flights now but this time of year is difficult, JAL is already booked up in the first week of January inbound and only have indirect Jetstar fares available now....

I guess I might have to try adjusting my dates... I wish TAS was on a little later in the year or something so flights weren't so hard to get.

I am going on Singapore Airlines for around $1,100 arriving in Tokyo the Thursday before the TAS and leaving during the next week.

I went Cathay Pacific this year which had flights at better times but I think was a bit more pricey.

Edited by GTRChik

WOW $1,100 on Singapore is a great price. I flew Jet Star last year for that.

At this stage im planning on going but this time the missus wants to come. So that means the fun factor has dropped a few percent lol

Yeah I thought it was an awesome price. I don't know whether they have specials out at the moment or whether it is because the booking was made early but I managed to score a discounted airfare ;)

Awwwwwwwwwwww hehe. I am pretty sure I had more fun than some of the guys there this year but then again, I guess it depends if she is into cars as much as me lol.

Edited by GTRChik

If I have some time in between drinking heavily and snowboarding I will try and get along to TAS.

At this stage it looks like I will be over there for 2-3 weeks

If I have some time in between drinking heavily and snowboarding I will try and get along to TAS.

At this stage it looks like I will be over there for 2-3 weeks

I'm pretty keen on doing this also.

was considering about 3 weeks in japan and perhaps either the last few days in tokyo at the autosalon, or possibly the first few before i go snowboarding.

what would you suggest?

and what kinda costs are you looking at for going there and boarding? pm me if you wish to not disclose this information or just tell me to get f**ked :D

i think perhaps, going to snow before tas, as i wont have to lug around shit i buy there.....

i gotta find someone else who is keen in cars and snow tho...

wow it sure has become more popular this last couple of years. back when I first started going there would be dozens of people saying "yeah I'm going this year" but it usually ended up being just nick and I. and then one year no one I knew from SAU was going, but since I already had lots of friends in japan I went by myself. but to be honest after 4 TAS visits I've seen it just get less and less impressive each time and I think I may now have finally given up :) It would be nice to see all you guys over there though, but I think I will stick to doing nismo festival and hyper rev time attack type stuff for the next few years. :blink:

I will say this, the first time you go to TAS it will blow you away, no matter what jaded folk like me think. to you it will be the most awesome car show you have seen. :down:

• 2 weeks later...
wow it sure has become more popular this last couple of years. back when I first started going there would be dozens of people saying "yeah I'm going this year" but it usually ended up being just nick and I. and then one year no one I knew from SAU was going, but since I already had lots of friends in japan I went by myself. but to be honest after 4 TAS visits I've seen it just get less and less impressive each time and I think I may now have finally given up :P It would be nice to see all you guys over there though, but I think I will stick to doing nismo festival and hyper rev time attack type stuff for the next few years. :D

I will say this, the first time you go to TAS it will blow you away, no matter what jaded folk like me think. to you it will be the most awesome car show you have seen. :)

Your right, when I went this year, it was out of this world. IT WAS HUGE, 3 halls of ball busting cars LOL. Going again and this time seeing the show over 2 dyaz to make sure I get a look at all the show stands as well as they had some great stuff to buy and think about bring but to OZ. Shame I didnt get to meet up with you guys, but the meeting place was hard to find and I think I was there at the wrong.

I should have fun and the G/F loved it this year, so I think might take her again, lol

Guys if you havent done this at once in your life, then you really are missing something, not only the fact that Toyko ROCKS.

See ya there in 2009

Jetstar is cheap but only lands in Nagano and Osaka.

If you want the full Japanese experience stay in Ryokans(Japanese Inns) They are are great places to stay,and are cheap.

im wanting to start planning and booking all of my air fairs and accommodation.

anyone able to make some recommendations on who to fly with and where to stay and that?

JAL is the way to go for sure. they fly direct syd-tokyo no stop offs etc. they have excellent service and are just a good airline. now a days I only ever fly JAL to japan.

What are some of the packages people are already receiving or have organised already and through who?

any links?

Travel.com.au.

I don't know of any packages just yet but I generally use Travel.com.au to scope out seat availability because their interface is great then ring around to try and price beat it. TAS2008 I paid big $$'s for ideal flights so next year I wanna be a bit more flexible.

If you're in Sydney theres a Japanese specific travel agent near the monorail entrance down from Kinokuniya.