SAU Community

Greddy A-pillar Replacement

SHIZNT

Hi guys, ive just purchased a 1997 RS Four Stagea from Japan and it has a HKS boost guage mounted ontop of the steering column which im not to keen on. Ive seen the Greddy A-Pillar replacement guage pods which hold 3 guages and did a search on the net and found that the R34 model should bolt straight inplace of the orignal Stagea A-Pillar cover. Can anyone confirm if it is true? and it will suit my year model of Stagea?

I'm with Tangles on this one - the Mearcat gauge pods are great!

You've gotta be careful of the A-pillar pod mounts, some cops will still defect you for them, which will be a PITA to sort out and clear.

search in this section for "Mearcat"

he makes custome guage pods for the stagea

looks very good

Yeah, ive had a look at them but not to keen on the style and would like to mount severl guages down the a-pillar.

honest question, how old are you?

haha... i thought the same thing but let it go.

I think a-pillar guages are more of a nuisance than anything. they block your vsion, attract cops, and arent really in the most useful place. Excellent wank factor, but 'several guages up the a pillar' in an auto stagea... unnecessary....? If you need some meters to monitor your engines comings and goins, a mearcat setup or din-pocket triple guage setup is a good idea.

if, however, youre mad keen on the a-pillar guages, try yahoo auctios i guess. the a pillar of a stagea and a R34 'line are different angles im pretty sure, just from looking at them.

bobbeh

I dont see what my age has to do with anything :( , but for the record im 20. I dont want the a-pillar guage holder because its "Hetik" or "Sick" i just want something that looks resonably good and looks factory. As i stated the merkat guage holder arn't really my style that fact the it has huge white writing on it and doesn't match the interior colour. From my point of view it stands out more then having gray a-pillar pod's. Also i have serveral mates with the a-pillar pod holders in there car's and have had no trouble from police and doesnt really obstruct there view while driving (if anything looking at guages in your dash is more distracting). A simple no the greddy one will not fit was the answer i was really after.

i know the spec-r s15 silvias came out with a boost guage mounted in a pod on the a-pillar. could hunt down one of those. Tell the cops it is a factory option and is a genuine nissan part if they give you hassles.

we sell twin guage a pillar pods at my work, but i dont have any triples. they are a universal, trim to suit kind of thing. i could have a look at it and see what it would involve to get it sitting nicely in my S1 if you like, and if you like i could make it work using my car and then send it off to you.

the reason i ask, is anyone with any long term (well longer) knows that an A pilliar gauge setup is horrible

The main reason is because your focus of vision from the road to the a pilliar is SO great that it is often distracting to look at it. Whereas if you mount them on the dash, its in your plain field of sight, and easier for your eyes to adjust quickly since they are further as well.

Yeah it looks ugly, but i have a spaceship on my dash becuase its easier to monitor everything, a pilliar pods are cool, but very unfunctional if you plan on being seriously competing in anything be it daily driving or drag racing or drifting. its just an odd, flashy spot to put things. as close to the distance of your gauge cluster is the best (not literally in, but you could if you want)

I dont see what my age has to do with anything :P , but for the record im 20. I dont want the a-pillar guage holder because its "Hetik" or "Sick" i just want something that looks resonably good and looks factory. As i stated the merkat guage holder arn't really my style that fact the it has huge white writing on it and doesn't match the interior colour. From my point of view it stands out more then having gray a-pillar pod's. Also i have serveral mates with the a-pillar pod holders in there car's and have had no trouble from police and doesnt really obstruct there view while driving (if anything looking at guages in your dash is more distracting). A simple no the greddy one will not fit was the answer i was really after.

No, your age has nothing to do with it, that's true.

What Grant is pointing out is pretty true, though - it would take your eyes longer to focus on gauges that are a lot closer to you, and then re-focus on the road ahead of you than if they were in line or near your standard instruments. Plus, the a-pillar is pretty thick as it is already - an unfortunate side-effect of almost all new cars having to have stronger roll-over protection for its driver and occupants.

The Mearcat gauge pods are good quality, they DO come pretty close to the factory dash colour (nobody realises mine's not a factory part), and the "Mearcat" logo is pretty small and hardly noticable unless you REALLY look from outside.

I think if you still want to go with it, then Bobby's offer is probably the best bet. I don't recall ever seeing a factory or aftermarket gauge pod for the Stagea, and finding one from another car to suit could take a long time, Nissan or not...

• 4 weeks later...
The Mearcat gauge pods are good quality, they DO come pretty close to the factory dash colour (nobody realises mine's not a factory part), and the "Mearcat" logo is pretty small and hardly noticable unless you REALLY look from outside.

Cheers for the compliment on the pods :thumbsup: FYI - I have recently decided that NONE of the Mearcat gauge pods will now come with the Mearcat logo stenciled on them and they will only be painted a close matching grey to the dash. Although advertising via a logo is always nice to have, I'd rather have them not stand out and achieve their goal as something more factory looking than the a-pillar mounts; as well as trying to keep within the same vision depth as the speedo etc.

• 1 month later...
I dont see what my age has to do with anything :D , but for the record im 20. I dont want the a-pillar guage holder because its "Hetik" or "Sick" i just want something that looks resonably good and looks factory. As i stated the merkat guage holder arn't really my style that fact the it has huge white writing on it and doesn't match the interior colour. From my point of view it stands out more then having gray a-pillar pod's. Also i have serveral mates with the a-pillar pod holders in there car's and have had no trouble from police and doesnt really obstruct there view while driving (if anything looking at guages in your dash is more distracting). A simple no the greddy one will not fit was the answer i was really after.

im with you man .. i have s2 full option ... and gauges on the dash really muck up the look im lucky to get one with nothing done to it at all, but im opting for the a-pillar so all the wire's can run behind the pod and dash and no drilling involved in the dash. if u find anything about it msg me .. getting head aches looking for them cheers!

post-16976-1217241275_thumb.jpg