SAU Community

Will I Blow My Turbo?

hey guys, thought id run it pass the general consensus - will i blow my turbs?

i have rb25det neo

mods i have:

big frontmount

big plenum

bigger fuel pump (forget what hp)

microtech ecu

3" exhaust (no cat or rez)

air filter

bleed tee

stock: internals - turbo - injectors - coilpack

had a dyno run @ APC brisbane - and made 243rwkw on vpower... but no idea what psi im running atm...

at stock 7-8psi was 200rwkw

when i picked up the car - the dude at the front desk did not know cuz the guy who tuned it wasnt there at the time.

he did however tell me that my boost was taken to the highest limit and reduced somewhat to keep it "safe"...

(i dont have a boost gauge and i will call them tomorrow..) But i was wondering if anyone else has a setup similar to mine; what boost level you guys think id be running... but most importantly; you guys think its safe at this power level for my turbo...

cheers for your input yall!

10-12psi = safe. Any more is reaching failure point.

243rwkw is a flat fudge too dude, should be around 200rwkw at the most really.

Not sure why you would put all that "big" stuff on there and run the stock turbo though, just adding in bad response to the setup for no reason at this point

yea, i know...

its just getting myself setup for bigger brighter things, but i still need this turbo to hold up a little while at least..

well i shall call them tomorrow and find out the boost level.. if its 12 psi, is it impossible to be 242kws?

242rwkw for a standard rb25 turbo is impossible. 242rwkw for a highflowed standard rb25 turbo is possible.

Standard injectors would max out before 242rwkw, so thats an immediate giveaway that the provided kw output is incorrect and that its just a standard turbo. Its 200rwkw on average for a standard turbo.

as stated 12psi max for standard rb25 turbo's. The ceramic exhaust wheel is prone to let go at anything higher.

yea, im pretty sure its not high flowed - plus i just gave it a proper strap and its not feeling near the pull my friend gets in his 254rwkw r32... so.. i guess ive been had.. damn you APC!! :D

thanks for the input guys! i guess ill question them about it tomorrow when i ask about the boost level...

I think the first thing you should do is get a boost gauge to see how much boost you are running...regardless of whatever amount of boost they say the car is running...

That said right...the way a car feels can be deceiving...the comment you made about your car feeling slower than your mates R32 is kinda similar to how i felt when i went from driving my 210rwkw R32 to a mates 240rwkw R34...the way the power is delivered all makes the difference...but i can confirm that his car was definitely making alot more power...its just that it came on so smoothly that it made it feel not as quick...

yea, cheers limpus - boost gauge is my next thing-to-get... and youre probably right about the ride.. maybe i need to drive it a bit more - to appreciate the tune..

ill post a scan of the dyno print out tomorrow..

tho i gotta say ive got a growing suspicion that they have taken me for the biggest ride ever..

to fix a leak from a grub screw on the oil sandwich plate..

pre-dyno inspection - spark plug clean - replaced fuel hose from pressure regulator and replaced efi hose clamps. Installed bleed tee, adjusted air fuel ratio. adjusted boost setting and timing maps. they charged about $950..

Ive only ever once had a tune in the past - it cost me $250-300.. not that i mind spending the money but its the principle - why would they fudge the results of the tune... i mean, what else did they lie about - or i could be getting ahead of myself i guess..

its not what you pay... its what you get.... if the car is running $950 better thanits all good.... (although you dont seem to think so :D )

they lie so that you come on here and tell us how much power they got from your turbo and then we all go there for our tunes because they are soooo good!... not really a well thought out plan as they'll more like lose custom

well.. they did also fix a spring in the BOV. the labour was $720 all up excluding the parts.. i just hope they did tune it and didnt just turn up the boost or something.. im just not a fan of being lied to - if they didnt hype up the dyno results i would have been cool with it..

lesson learned for next time i guess.. :D

well.. they did also fix a spring in the BOV. the labour was $720 all up excluding the parts.. i just hope they did tune it and didnt just turn up the boost or something.. im just not a fan of being lied to - if they didnt hype up the dyno results i would have been cool with it..

lesson learned for next time i guess.. :(

i was sarcastic about the spring btw :D