SAU Community

Active Lsd Or Vicious Lsd

Guys i just need something cleared up. In regards to an r33 gts25t series 2, there was the vicious lsd and active lsd.

I have an r33 series 2 1996 model with vicious lsd and i really wana know whats the difference between the two and which is better.

Im always thinking that i should have gotten a later model r33 with active lsd and cant stop thinking if i should trade in or sell my car to get one.

If you guys could tell me the difference, what they do and which is better it will help me out so much and give me time to think about other problems before i goto bed.

Also let me know if its worth selling my car to get one or just keeping mine. Cheers

eventually your viscous dif is going to give up the ghost it's just a matter of time, go with a mechanical lsd cusco or along with those lines.....factory lsd's arent that great anyway, i tore my factory lsd to shreds the first day at the track.

you couldn't go much later with the R33 series as the R34 series coming was the talked about thing come 1997.

Edited by nizmonut

when your std diff dies and starts single wheeling just get it reshimmed or replaced with a 2 way diff etc

ive got active-lsd and its not that great - a bit annoying actually

Im curious as to how the active LSD actually works?

Is it electronically controlled somehow? Or just like a progressive limited slip effect depending on traction available? Or something else?

Im curious as to how the active LSD actually works?

Is it electronically controlled somehow? Or just like a progressive limited slip effect depending on traction available? Or something else?

Yes they are electronically controlled and use a wet multi plate clutch system. Nissan only made a relatively small number of 33's with the A-LSD, I don't think it was only available on the later model 33's though, it was on option on all the models I thought, including S1. I have driven a fairly powerful R33 with A-LSD. It was a bit weird! But it think for most purposes it would be better than a viscous LSD. Certainly not worth selling your car for though!

yeah its not worth the hassle and change of car for it

the a-lsd or vspec rear diff (same thing) has a vspec pump on the right side underneath the car on a shelf.

the reservoir is in the boot on the right hand side and takes auto transmissions fluid.

the system (the same as the vspec diff) watches the abs wheel speed sensors. when it detects one of the wheels is moving rapdily faster than the other, ie: wheel spin

it turns the vspec pump on, which pumps fluid into the diff housing, to make it lock. i ran a bypass into the pump relay and put a switch in my car so i can run the pump non stop.

it doesnt seem to help much and it still sometimes single-spins so its a bit annoying. when it does work correctly the car glides perfectly, like you would expect.

i just bought an cusco 2way couple 2k ago, and u can tell alot of difference just driven around, worth the money if ur into sideways action :D , make sure ur clutch can handle it too.

yeah its not worth the hassle and change of car for it

the a-lsd or vspec rear diff (same thing) has a vspec pump on the right side underneath the car on a shelf.

the reservoir is in the boot on the right hand side and takes auto transmissions fluid.

the system (the same as the vspec diff) watches the abs wheel speed sensors. when it detects one of the wheels is moving rapdily faster than the other, ie: wheel spin

it turns the vspec pump on, which pumps fluid into the diff housing, to make it lock. i ran a bypass into the pump relay and put a switch in my car so i can run the pump non stop.

it doesnt seem to help much and it still sometimes single-spins so its a bit annoying. when it does work correctly the car glides perfectly, like you would expect.

Is it also goes with the R34 as well? does it also take auto transmissions fluid, because I'm using the nissan factory oil. The oil color is Red. Does it make any difference?

the viscous LSD is pretty average. i'd go as far to say it's rubbish. the active LSD is not much better and really a bit of a wank tbh.

your best bet is repalce your viscous diff with a nice, proper mechanical LSD. 32 GTR LSD is pretty cheap second hand, and you can easily replace the clutch packs to make it good as new. or just buy a cusco,kaaz,whatever centre for your current LSD. then enjoy nice, predictable diff behaviour and no more single spinner.

dont know i just put castrol transmax z in my rear diff resivour in the boot

its the same as the attessa 4wd fluid - basically auto trans fluid - i think its red from memory

Ok cool, im still a little pissed with myself for not waiting and getting a 40th anniversary r33 but what can you do.

Well if u guys think its not worth the hassel of selling mine for one then im happy to keep mine, it is a skyline after all.

Ok cool, im still a little pissed with myself for not waiting and getting a 40th anniversary r33 but what can you do.

Well if u guys think its not worth the hassel of selling mine for one then im happy to keep mine, it is a skyline after all.

Dont be dude.

Although it would be cool for only because its rare it doesn't offer any substancial advantage. Plus if you want the car to look good you wouldn't want the 40th anniversary kit anyway.

It is not worth the hastle let alone the stress to think about it.