SAU Community

Bored.. Thought I'd Show You

rb26s13

fused no filler?

i need to look into the differences in weld strength between the two - especially with the consistant temp changes exhausts undergo.

whoops, forgot to mention it looks good, nice weld colours :)

fused no filler?

i need to look into the differences in weld strength between the two - especially with the consistant temp changes exhausts undergo.

whoops, forgot to mention it looks good, nice weld colours :)

in all the intercooler/intake plumbing and exhaust work ive done with stainless i much rather fuse the pipes together and use filler to the flanges and not once have i had one crack or leak or anything like that.. however if i was to be making a manifold out of stainless i'd be using filler rod

that dump pipe is just 304 grade stainless.. its wat i use for everything except manifolds(havent done one yet but when i do i'll be using steam pipe)

and thanks it did turn out great

very nice work. totally agree there is no need for filler with stainless for exhausts and piping.

you just need to get the joins spot on and there isn't a problem.

what type of tig do you have ?

that third shot (although a little blurry) looks mad. similar to robot welded.

you obviously know your sh*t when it comes to stainless welding

very nice work. totally agree there is no need for filler with stainless for exhausts and piping.

you just need to get the joins spot on and there isn't a problem.

what type of tig do you have ?

exactly, and thats wat i try to do all the time

i just have a little essiti however i made that piping using his CIG Tig which i had never used before couple practice runs.. set it up and off i went

that third shot (although a little blurry) looks mad. similar to robot welded.

you obviously know your sh*t when it comes to stainless welding

by the way.. im not qualified.. im just a labourer who loves welding (attempted an apprentiship couldnt handle the lack of money) which is also why i started doin this on the side

Edited by rb26s13

well not needing the filler is reassuring as i didnt use it on my ext gate plumb back pipes :/

they should be fine.. hell if the do crack send them to me i'll weld them :wave:

gotta love fusion it has to be the neatest/cleanest/best way to weld stainless together for an exhaust system or any of its components except for manifold(and pipe to flanges).. my only down side at the moment is i dont have a purging kit which i will be looking into in the near future.. and for those lucky cairns people i am also looking at opening an actual exhaust and intercooler piping shop seeing as i am sick to death of seeing the dodgy f**king work that gets done around the place up here

Edited by rb26s13

If i send you some shop drawings in CAD or hardcopy, would you be ablt to quote me how much it would cost?

Im looking at getting something almost exactly the same as a normal R33 dump, but less abrupt angles.

oh and its to suit a R30 with a turboed L24 in it, so its rearely done (less than 10 examples in Australia)

If i send you some shop drawings in CAD or hardcopy, would you be ablt to quote me how much it would cost?

Im looking at getting something almost exactly the same as a normal R33 dump, but less abrupt angles.

oh and its to suit a R30 with a turboed L24 in it, so its rearely done (less than 10 examples in Australia)

sounds like a fun project however sorry dude.. i only work on cars i can see that way i garantee its got a perfect fit

Results look fantastic Wazz, how long you been welding for???

thanks dude, been playing with mig's and sticks for about 5 or 6 years.. been fiddling with tigs for a 3ish years.. dont really do all that much tig tho at the places ive worked its mainly mig

• 1 month later...

Good work with the welding, I have one question though. Not going to much into the dynamics of flow and crap - but is there a reason why in the first photo, 3rd bend from the left why you didn't just cut straight across with a straight piece of pipe instead of putting another bend? Just curious - maybe spacial limits under the car? or preference?

Got any tips for a stick welder? :P (Might get a mig later on)

Thanks.

Good work with the welding, I have one question though. Not going to much into the dynamics of flow and crap - but is there a reason why in the first photo, 3rd bend from the left why you didn't just cut straight across with a straight piece of pipe instead of putting another bend? Just curious - maybe spacial limits under the car? or preference?

Got any tips for a stick welder? :D (Might get a mig later on)

Thanks.

thanks for the kind words dude

are you refering to the short 50mm straight part thats welded inbetween the 45 degree bend and longer straight part or refering to how its 2 45;s with a bit of straight in between if your refering the 2 45's with bit of straight it was for clearance and to match up with the current cat back system that was on the car

as for the stick advice.. ive replied in your other thread

if your refering the 2 45's with bit of straight it was for clearance and to match up with the current cat back system that was on the car

^ Ok mate, Fair enough :) Thanks for the reply in the other thread as well. :)

Have you made anything else interesting :banana:

Sam.

Hey mate did you use pulse or foot control? I normaly use 0.8 filler wire so you dont get any undercut and always purge the tube to not get any imperfections, you get a really nice smooth bore buy purgeing it looks as good as the outside sometimes better