SAU Community

Mark And Duncans R32 Build

Duncan

Yep, I was blown away with the attention to detail. The entire cage is beautifully snug against all the pillars and roof.

Peter Muir from Bondy did it for me... Got the introduction and hookup from Steve Thatcher, so I think that helped with the perfectionist result of the job :P

Those front legs had 6 bends each to get them to sit that close... Amazing anal-ness that would rival my own ;)

Alan Smith tells me you guys are good mates :) Tell him to get off his arse and buy Ric Shaw's FD3S...

Peter did my cage pipework too...it is a great fit...Guido did the welding and used a corner box just like yours.

i cant see that a cage that has been ANDRA approved will have any issue being CAMS approved, but maybe not the other way around. From what the guys have told me CAMS are not as stringent with there inspections, but in saying that i am sure there is minimum guidelines.

well now ive started the conversation of cages, can a cage be CAMS and ANDRA approved, and if not how come?

CAMS are not that strict, in many cases you can self certify as long as it meets the guidelines. If you wanted both, I'd certify CAMS first but don't apply the sticker. Get your ANDRA certification then apply the CAMS sticker.

Had this cage built 2 years ago a ProFab motorsport fabrication. was initially built for a drag car. we added a second side intrusion bar on the drivers side when we decided to use the car for circuit. Box method was used for the main hoop with large floor plates at the front and rear.

post-20078-1228167498_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1228167613_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1228167635_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1228167671_thumb.jpg

post-20078-1228167695_thumb.jpg

Are those hoop crosses joining the main hoop less than 100mm from the base plate??

Looks like it would be mighty close.

The car's sold now so can't confirm, but Dave @ Competition Fabrications did it, builds Supercars, heaps of fab for HRT, and top level rally stuff. The guy knows his stuff, Giant also had his done here.

Edited by Marlin

Yep, I was blown away with the attention to detail. The entire cage is beautifully snug against all the pillars and roof.

Peter Muir from Bondy did it for me... Got the introduction and hookup from Steve Thatcher, so I think that helped with the perfectionist result of the job :)

Those front legs had 6 bends each to get them to sit that close... Amazing anal-ness that would rival my own :laugh:

Alan Smith tells me you guys are good mates :D Tell him to get off his arse and buy Ric Shaw's FD3S...

Yeah Pete's cages are always very tight. The one im doing in my new car is very tight around the main hoop to body but I have relaxed it a little on the front legs so I can get the pading right the way around.

The time spent getting the angles and bends in the right position is well worth the effort. Yours is really nice!

I didnt even Know Ric's FD was for sale. He should buy it though. Alan needs a decent car.

Had this cage built 2 years ago a ProFab motorsport fabrication. was initially built for a drag car. we added a second side intrusion bar on the drivers side when we decided to use the car for circuit. Box method was used for the main hoop with large floor plates at the front and rear.

You will need atleast a single cross bar in the main hoop, Or atleast im nearly 100% sure.

Edited by Risking

Poor Roy,,,if its any consolation I hate being in a car on the track with anybody.

I heard a rumour today that a certain raceworx gtr is up and running,,,no not the nugget but another one. Happy days!!!. :P;):D

Neil.

good to hear its up and running!

A mate of mine bought a concept Radical the other day Neil, one of the very few two seaters they used for training apparently. It was at revolution for a while.

I've also had so progress.

Cagesmall1.jpg

Cagesmall.jpg

Far from finished but starting to take shape.

I only get an hour each day to work on it due to the light and neighbours.

Edited by Risking

Fuel Pump/System Questions.

I've done a bit of searching about the topic but found a little here and there.

I've got to upgrade the fuel system for when i get my car going again. probably going to see around 400kw tho depends on what the turbos can push..

so far i think i might have an intank jap brand pump. not 100% on this tho.. and it would be pretty old i'd think..

i was thinking of getting two 044's and running them external (is this needed? do i need to go that far???) surge tank setup and maybe a cell i'm not too sure on that yet.

I've picked up a tomei dual feed rail and return from the middle. and have some new 800cc injectors

400kw is quite a lot for an in tank. I've got a formula somewhere which works out the fuel required, but suffice it to say that with that much power you should run a surge tank and an external pump. 044 should be fine.

I made the mistake of buying a high pressure pump as a lift pump. It will work, but it's not required. You can get a Fedtro solid state fuel pump for $25 which will lift 130L per hour, more than enough and very reliable. Also comes with fuel filter.

While I'm at it, supplier has brake proportioning valvels new at around $70.

A single 044 will not comfortably support the power your after Andrew. I have been there done that many times.

Use the tried and proven method.

original or similar intank pump lifting into the surge tank Preferable 1.5-2 litres.

duel feeds from the base of the tank into 2 bosch pumps. dual lines to your dual feed rail. Decent reg and a return back to the surge. Surge return back to the tank so its doesnt pressurise and your done. Ive made over 500 Kw at all fours with this kinda of system.

No need to fit a cell to a road car.

Hey who said it was a road car :spank: i have no idea if i am going to bother with rego again.... tho i guess its a good idea to keep incase i want to sell..

So i can leave the internal jap pump as a lift pump (if its good enough) to a 2L surge tank with two 044's feeding the to dual feed rail with a sard or similar fpr on the rail :down:

Sounds good i'll buy the two 044's my friend has for sale.

dual 044's wont be overkill for 400Kw. One wont cut it so you are limited to either buying one more expensive pump. Or two of anything else.

Rego also makes it much easier to get to and from the track if you dont have a trailer. I kept my old car rego'd up till the point where it was getting a bit over the top.