SAU Community

Lpg Powered Gtr

I had a twin tank setup in my hiace installed. Used ex optus/telstra tanks, as they are removed when the vans are sold. worked out really cheap for the tanks and brackets, which still had 6 years left on the stamp. I would say there is a good chance they would fit under the 32 with the spare removed, and they hold 130litres, enough for 700km in the old van. If your in sydneym try talking to broady automotive about the tanks, as they have heaps of them, just dont bother trying to get them to hit the setup, there not really interested in anything hiperformance.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By the way, does everybody know there is currently a $2000 grant for anybody who fits an LPG system? You have to pay the cost of the conversion up front (regardless of whether you go straight gas, or duel fuel) but you then receive the $2000 refund. You may end up being out of pocket only $500.

Add that to saving of $1/litre and it starts to look pretty damn attractive, eh?

Here's some more interesting bedtime reading for everybody:

http://www.gas-injection.com

http://gasinjectiongroup.com.au/?gclid=CMj...CFRZZiAodxhAmhw

http://www.autogasconverters.com.au/index.php

your kidding your self if you think it will end up costing $500. maybe if it was a falcon cos they make a standard bolt in kit. you dont end up with much change from 5k atlease here in perth we get 3k back from the government. but i reckon my setup has paid for it self.

your kidding your self if you think it will end up costing $500. maybe if it was a falcon cos they make a standard bolt in kit. you dont end up with much change from 5k atlease here in perth we get 3k back from the government. but i reckon my setup has paid for it self.

Depends on who is doing the work. Kit cost me $1600. Tank would have been about $500 and brackets $100, but with the dual tanks it will be more. Of course I'm doing all the work except for the final LPG connections which have to be done by a licenced installer. So yep, it should cost me around $500

I had a twin tank setup in my hiace installed. Used ex optus/telstra tanks, as they are removed when the vans are sold. worked out really cheap for the tanks and brackets, which still had 6 years left on the stamp. I would say there is a good chance they would fit under the 32 with the spare removed, and they hold 130litres, enough for 700km in the old van. If your in sydneym try talking to broady automotive about the tanks, as they have heaps of them, just dont bother trying to get them to hit the setup, there not really interested in anything hiperformance.

Adriano, have you got a contact for Broady. This sounds perfect, exactly what I'm after! Did you get brackets with them?

Ouch! Five grand is a bit painful...

However, it's definitely $2500 for us. I checked just a couple of weeks ago (and that's for the straight gas, hi-performance kits). Your standard 'duel-fuel' setups cost even less...

The grant is ONLY possible if installed by an accredited installer, so if you aren't one, you wont be getting the $2000.

And ring around for prices of installation these days, 3k is not uncommon as its only costing you 1k and the installers know this in the current climate.

I reckon they might charge a lot more than $500 for the connection etc?

i look forward to seeing the results as i plan to undertake the same project but on a RB25DET in a GQ Patrol LOL.

oh by the way how did you go about purchasing this kit? if you could pm me id greatly apreciate it.

run the car on deticated lpg and just have a realy small fuel tank with pump and pressure reg just for a nitrous system. (just an idea) i wonder how some gas on gas action would go

Edited by MR FLWLSS

Ive spoken to my local lpg guy who has had alot to do with hi-po lpg setups he says $5000 is not uncommon these days there are a number of different ways you can do it one suggestion he made was str8 gas with the original injectors still in place firing water or methanol and having dedicated gas injectors as well. He also says the biggest prob is getting the tanks to flow enough but you can get around that if the car is already registered you can use an old style tank wihtout the lock off valve but come resale time or roadworthy inspections you would have to change tanks. :) He says support for 300kw is easily acheivable obviously dependent on your engine however to do this upgraded ignition system is needed and full aftermarket computer such as power fc and/or microtech.

For those in victoria id recommend this guy he has done alot of work in the hotrod scene with some of my dads mates getting big numbers with supercharged v8 systems. Give him a call he is always willing to give valuable info the workshop also has dyno services so can be tuned onsite as well. Daylesford is located about 1hr 20min from melbourne up the ballarat hwy.

Howe Automotive Daylesford 03 5348 2389 Albert

WRRR, checked out the links and the tanks look great, but i don't even want to think what they cost. Must be a bundle. As soon as i saw pictures of their products for the space shuttle, I knew the cost would be astronomical. neat that they are made of aluminium.

Guys, I don't want to get into an argument over what it will cost etc. I got a great price on my stuff and doing whatever work I can legally do and still get the rebate. It costs whatever you have to pay for it. I'm just telling you what it cost me.

Ok, here are some pics from the race car with the spare taken out. Still a little hard to judge fro the pics, but you can see there is ample space.

[X] My Assistant loading_anim.gif Loading. Please Wait... post-495-1214622744_thumb.jpg

post-495-1214622781_thumb.jpg

Actual space available with exhaust and exhaust guard is 1000mm W x 600mm D x 350mm H (at mid point).

Because of the slope from the wheels to the bumper, which is the invisible line that the tanks should stay inside of, you do get more Height closer to the wheels, so you could put a bigger tank close to the diff and a smaller tank towards the bumper.

Why dont you remove the fuel tank, make a custom tank which mounts in the spare tyre well in the boot. And replace the tank under the car with the gas tank.

Then you've got everything you want. Plenty of fuel to start the gtr should hold about 45 litres (I made a sub enclosure and measured it with Litres, its 48 from memory, you may have less because it would have to be less for fabrication)

Hope it helps.

Removing the spare tyre hole would make it illegal, surely it is a important part if you get rear ended, how often do you see them bent? Id say only when they are wrapped around a pole... If you had no tyre well the pole would be where the gear stick is and glass would replace your neck hair.

Edited by DECIM8

I have a LPG manifold tank (3 smaller tanks all connected up) mounted under my Stagea in place of the petrol tank with a SLR5000 drop tank style covering the tank for aesthetics.....

Not too low with 59 litres LPG useable....get about 320 kms city and 400kms highway to a tank.

Mine is dedicated LPG and I try to run 100% Propane "Premuim LPG" (105-110+ RON) in it as it is available from the bowser here in VIC....runs awesome once properly tuned.

I've checked out the tanks, and there's no need for twin tanks. With the main tank removed, I can fit a 80 or 90L tank, which has a 64 -72 L usable. This is acceptable as it will give nearly the same range as the original tank. There should still be plenty of room for a 10L fuel tank in the rear right hand side.

I may not need to cut the spare out completely, but it will probably need some modification to fit. Probably need to cut a little out of the front of it, but may just squeak by with some manual manipulation (read 'big club hammer')!