SAU Community

Stagea Gearbox Questions

mattye

Hey Guys and Girls.

So i'm hopping to buy a Stagea in a couple of months time...depending on when i can secure finance. Lol.

And the only major worry I have at the moment is that it will be auto, cause as u all would know Manual versions are hard to come by.

Anyways im looking at getting around a 1998 RS4 (Series 2) and i will be wanting to convert it to manual.

So if everyone who has done this can post up their gearbox/clutch combinations...and how they think they go and what they cost you.

Or if you have a wrough idea.

Thanks Matt

PS. I will be wanting decent power figures in the future and don't want to be replacing parts so i will be open to spending a bit more money for decent parts.

Dude, with manuals going at prices like these

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=12974

you aren't going to convert one any cheaper.

or this

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=12864

(no, I dunno what the hell a "B Spec" is either..)

or this

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=12863

I did manual conversion, and i will never do it again. I've had a bad run with dodgy gearboxes, but aside from that, there's no value in buying an auto just to convert it, you're better off getting a manual one already.

I did a manual conversion with a 32 gtr box i had lying around from the race car, it was all pretty strightforward. but if you had to pay for the parts and a workshop to do the work it would be $6k+ easy.

but if you don't really like autos, just buy a s2 manual. the autos are slugs.

Thanks guys.

I was hopping to get one with low Ks on it...and from what i've seen "Manual" and "Low Ks" dont go together. So hence my choice to convert an auto.

Does anyone have a good idea of combinations...what will best match up with the stageas drive line?

Thanks guys.

I was hopping to get one with low Ks on it...and from what i've seen "Manual" and "Low Ks" dont go together. So hence my choice to convert an auto.

Does anyone have a good idea of combinations...what will best match up with the stageas drive line?

Buy a manual.

If you're determined to convert there is heaps of information in the DIY section above:

Manual conversion check list

2 "how to" threads

one on why not to convert

(editted - having regard to your comments on having problems finding a low mileage example)!

All the 4wd boxes will work fine, they are all the same length. There is a difference in diff ratios but the gearbox does not affect that (well maybe avoid the 34 gtr one it is very short).

as i said above i used 32 gtr, I think it is the best bet - cheapest and bolts straight in. Most use a push type clutch which are cheaper than pull type clutch from 33 and 34 gtr. pretty sure 32 gts4 is the same as 32 gtr as well. they go for about 800 second hand.

more expensive is the console. handbrake and clutch and brake pedal boxes are pretty cheap. cut a hole thru the floor for the shifter and that is about it, but the detailed threads above have lots of good info including all part numbers.

I am very happy with the outcome of the conversion (it is great to drive manual, best car I've had apart from the fuel consumption). But as said above it will be cheaper to just buy a manual unless you have most of the bits lying around like I did

i have an R33 with 196,000 km on it (plus the RS4S). the R33 has been pushing out over 200rwkw since i bought it 7 years ago. compression is sweet across the board.

120,00km is nothing.

buy the manual in the first place from any of the guys selling locally and you will be laughing. alternatively wait for one at auction and then the hassles of waiting for it to get on a boat, compliance and maintenance and repairs (ie coils, clutch etc). either way it will work out much easier and possibly cheaper than converting one.