SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

huge night, stripped much of the lancer down tonight. i reckon a full day and it will be ready to head off to the soda blaster!

plan is to offer it as a lease car for targa wrest point and targa tas.

sorry about the crapberry pics...

engine is ready to come out... anyone want lancer gsr parts!

post-5400-1225941186_thumb.jpg post-5400-1225941199_thumb.jpg post-5400-1225941209_thumb.jpg

evo 3 has a little bit of surface rust around the spare wheel well but thats about it. the gsr doesn't have any which is good.

Edited by t01-100

Well I had my 1st practise with James yesterday up at Lake Mountain. Just low speeds in his little Audi A3 but just to get used to listening to someone call notes and also to try and get a better feel for what each size corner actually means (were using the 1-6 scale notes).

I must say it will take sometime to get used to actually listen to whats being said. When it gets real busy I found I zoned out and just concentrated on driving rather than listening - not sure if thats a common thing or not. I was also suprised at how slow a "4" corner is. I think I expected a 4 to be more like what a 4+ or 5 minus is so it was good to get some better understanding on how it all works. But it was a fun bit of road and I can see why it'd be a popular event. Was also funny how the drive up calling notes seemed to take 1/3 of the time of what coming back down did!

Next up we'll go and takle Mt Buller for some more practise. But we should have it licked by the time we get to Tassie :ninja:

The numbers just refer to the angle of the corner which if you look at a pic is basically replicated by this:

1226-pace-notes-graphic1.jpg

The funny thing is that it doesn't necessarily totally relate to the speed of the corner. Depending on the size of the road / exit or more importantly the length of the corner - it is possible for a 3 corner to be faster than a 4 corner for example (although not normally).

But many 4 cornners (at least at Lake Mountain) were quite long so were really quite slow.

Actually Nick if you are interested this is an example of what seem to be some popular notes using the 6-1 scale, as the ones we used on the weekend were similar to this (were Jeff Beaumonts personal notes). As you can see at first glance its pretty full on and it'll take me and James a few goes to fully understand exactly whats written in terms of real world data.

http://tarmacchallenge.com.au/PDFlibrary/2...20VMS_Notes.pdf

... and I can also send you the Vandenberg notes corresponding to the stages.

i suggest don't try and disect the where or why's this early on mate, just watch heaps on in-car and practice practice, it'll become second nature.

As I told Giant, you'll never want to drive anywhere without ya missus calling notes for you, and he totally agrees :D

I'd hate to use someone else's notes. can you do your own pacenoting?

I had a simple system when I started in forest rallying. put a bit of tape around the top of the steering wheel, and make a cardboard cut out to sit behind the wheel with your numbering system on the back - for the above 6 to 1 system, you'd put 6 at 11 and 1 o'clock, 5 at 10 and 2, 4 at 9 and 3, and so on. that would get you to 1 by 6 o'clock. This gives you an indication of the speed of the corner rather than just its angle on paper, because a more open 90degree turn will require less steering lock than a tigher slower 90 degree turn. You really need minimum of 2 passes over the stage - one to note, and the second to check and alter where appropriate. obviously you add your own extra information like + or -, opens, cut, cautions etc. And that's it - pacenoting for dummies. That's how I started, but then again i did roll the car...

Doing your own notes isn't hard but most of us are time poor trying to earn the 20 grand thats needed to do Targa!

Therefore, it makes perfect sense to use a trustworthy notes source such as Vandenbergs, Rally Notes, whatever, AS LONG AS YOU MAKE THE TIME TO CHECK THEM!

So, I half agree Harry, but I'd never use unchecked notes.

Buying good notes saves about half the time of writing your own, and of course you can modify them however you like to suit your particulat style.

I've never had the time (well money same thing) to do my own notes. we only found 1 mistake in the vanderburg notes the year i did it. Kel found no mistakes this year or at TTC.

its pretty different with a fully closed road on semi slicks too. as a starter 2 = 2nd, 3=3rd, 4=4th, 5 and 6 is as fast as you can lol. its not that simple but it was a good guide to start with.

as a starter 2 = 2nd, 3=3rd, 4=4th, 5 and 6 is as fast as you can lol. its not that simple but it was a good guide to start with.

The funny thing is though for Lake Mountain in the little street tyred 1.8T Audi A3 we got into 3rd gear after the second corner and stayed in it for pretty much the entire run up the hill! lol

I can actually see quite a lot of single gear stuff being done in these kind of events. Although I think if you had a flappy paddle you may choose to change more frequently than you would with a standard manual. (Oh but apparently standard manuals are so much better!!!)

obviously Targa Tas would be a huge effort to note yourself or even check a set of purchased notes. If I ever did it I'd buy notes, but I think I'd treat it as a blind rally. I just couldn't trust someone else's notes that much. For short events like Lake Mountain and Mt Buller I'd definitely do my own notes.

obviously Targa Tas would be a huge effort to note yourself or even check a set of purchased notes. If I ever did it I'd buy notes, but I think I'd treat it as a blind rally. I just couldn't trust someone else's notes that much. For short events like Lake Mountain and Mt Buller I'd definitely do my own notes.

Hahahaha, no you wouldn't Harry. I know you, and you wouldn't like coming 200th mate :P

FYI, Doing an entire note check including running over some stages, two, three, or even four times can be done in four to five long days.

The numbers just refer to the angle of the corner which if you look at a pic is basically replicated by this:

1226-pace-notes-graphic1.jpg

The funny thing is that it doesn't necessarily totally relate to the speed of the corner. Depending on the size of the road / exit or more importantly the length of the corner - it is possible for a 3 corner to be faster than a 4 corner for example (although not normally).

But many 4 cornners (at least at Lake Mountain) were quite long so were really quite slow.

Actually Nick if you are interested this is an example of what seem to be some popular notes using the 6-1 scale, as the ones we used on the weekend were similar to this (were Jeff Beaumonts personal notes). As you can see at first glance its pretty full on and it'll take me and James a few goes to fully understand exactly whats written in terms of real world data.

http://tarmacchallenge.com.au/PDFlibrary/2...20VMS_Notes.pdf

thanks Snowy that explains a lot... your a brave man, as much as I would love to do it one day, tarmac rallying scares the crap outta me! we took the long way back from Warnambool after the long weekend and I really like attacking the slower sharper corners but I would imagine pushing big speeds through the fast sweepers would be terrifying... good luck with all the prep