SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

It's in BABY! (Costanza)

I was about to pull it off the hoist, had run it a few times and was literally cleaning my hands, when I noticed a drip..... One of the new welsh plugs we put in began leaking, the bastard one behind the thermo housing area.

So, I was deflated when I realised I'd need to pull the engine out to fix it, but I decided it's a 20, so run it for a while and surely it stopped leaking.

Just need to bolt some panels back on it and we're back exactly where we were in October of last year! haha

I'm getting too old for this shit.

My wife just asked me how good my life insurance was as even she can see how stupid from an OH & S point reducing the number of tyres we have to use is. Or was that just her rubbing her hands together?

Edited by CycloneGTR

Warren has made it through with only 4 Dunlop D03 M's for the last few years. He just got a bonus 2 spares this year. I don't think a limit on tyre numbers will do much for speed.

The only people it's going to hurt is older 2wd cars

Edited by sav man

Oh farking blah blah blah then! haha

IMO and always has been, for Big Targa anyway, they NEED to allow 6 tyres purely on safety and duty of care grounds. With the event getting longer, it's simply dangerous to have people of bald, illegal, against the law tyres when traversing the wet west coast.

Pretty simple really. and I'd be completely amazed if they reversed their prior rule.

having said all that though, I enjoyed the challenge of getting through on one set...... it added another dimension to the competition :)

Edited by Marlin

Personally, if I was still runnning the EMO I would be happy with a 4 tyre rule as it seemed to be very easy on tyres and we could have easily got through on 4 this year. And it certainly does add an extra element taking a gamble on what you believe will be the fastest tyre that will get you to the end, manage your tyre wear during the event and also punt on weather conditions.

But for the general field, I have to agree with Woo, unless the scruits are stopping them, guys will press on to the wet west coast on tyres they have gambled badly on that have been shagged on 3 days of dry in the east, hit standing water and have bad things happen. Despite the fact we didnt need them, we chose to fit fresh fronts just before hellyer (and the rain as forcast by TT's mothers brothers local fish and chip shop owner in Strahan :) ) just cause it couldnt be a bad thing. Fresh sharp edged tread tyres always offer up more grip in heavy water and having a car that will steer and is maybe a bit taily is always going to be better than understeer of fail into a rock wall or off an embankment. :)