SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

Hey Mark, this is still my old R32 yeah? how's it going? and don't call it a track bitch! it hurts my feelings!!!

we should do a track day together soon.

oh, and yeah external pump is a good idea. ask duncan about it, he runs one in his Combined Touring spec car and he would know if it's ok/not ok for targa I'm sure.

Hey Mark, this is still my old R32 yeah? how's it going? and don't call it a track bitch! it hurts my feelings!!!

Richard I think you might have the wrong Mark. Pretty sure this is the one my mate imported and we punted around in Targa 2008. That engine has survived 1 full Targa Tas already!

Mark I wouldn't be surprised if that motor has been rebuilt already at some stage. Could be a few surprises inside,, it had r32 nismo turbos on it.

How are you measuring the oil pressure? Not with the stock guage I hope - they are notorious for faulty sensors.

Heya BEER, I might drop DUNCAN a PM and see his thoughts. Thanks mate :) As for track day,. lemme sort this oil pressure issue, then it's game on!

Heya PAUL, this is Steves car. I'm interested to why you think the engine has been built already? Steve never mentioned anything to do with internals?!

I was using the std oil pressure gauge. It didn't drop to zero, but it has dropped to 1bar before I shut it off right away. Then once restarted, back up to normal again?!

Got that motor for me still?? hahahaa

Mark :)

Heya PAUL, this is Steves car. I'm interested to why you think the engine has been built already? Steve never mentioned anything to do with internals?!

I was using the std oil pressure gauge. It didn't drop to zero, but it has dropped to 1bar before I shut it off right away. Then once restarted, back up to normal again?!

Story goes Steve imported it, complied and registered it. Then we started pulling it apart about 6 weeks out from Targa.

We changed the turbo's over to newer ball bearing -7's, so had a chance to have a good look in there. It just looked like it had been apart before. It has Nismo (550cc I think) injectors, the lag master Nismo turbos were on it. But it was at stock boost and stock computer.

It just kinda looked like it had been heavily modified before, then set back to stock and sold... just a hunch. But would not surprise me if the motor had been rebuilt back in Japan at some point.

Anyhow! NEVER NEVER trust the stock oil pressure guage!! They are not even accurate when they are working. Get an oil sandwich plate on, and say a Defi oil pressure guage which comes with a sensor.

Re: my engine - I am putting the 32 back together after all as my freedom from rules track bitch :)

Heya PAUL,

Interesting. Maybe I'll hold off buying any parts till it's stripped down ;)

I looked for my spare oil pressure gauge the other night and couldn't find it. I will be checking the factory gauge before blowing $10k on a build!!

Thanks for the heads up on the possible mods. Goodluck with ya 32 ;) Feels good having a car to thrash the fark out of and not bother breaking, unlike my previous rig!!

Chat soon Paul,

Heya BEER, I might drop DUNCAN a PM and see his thoughts. Thanks mate :) As for track day,. lemme sort this oil pressure issue, then it's game on!

yeah I agree with paul, 1 bar on the stock gauge can mean nothing at all other than the stock gauge is not working 100%. even on my 32 with gauge working as well as it ever has it's far lower than the defi gauge. at idle the stock gauge is around 1.5 and the defi shows 2.5bar steady. before you panic definitely get a proper aftermarket pressure gauge on it.

Richard I think you might have the wrong Mark. Pretty sure this is the one my mate imported and we punted around in Targa 2008. That engine has survived 1 full Targa Tas already!

Mark I wouldn't be surprised if that motor has been rebuilt already at some stage. Could be a few surprises inside,, it had r32 nismo turbos on it.

How are you measuring the oil pressure? Not with the stock guage I hope - they are notorious for faulty sensors.

ahh, I thought this was my old white R32 GTR I sold to a bloke from the blue mountains in about 2008 too! lol, I thought his name was Mark too. small world.

yeah I agree with paul, 1 bar on the stock gauge can mean nothing at all other than the stock gauge is not working 100%. even on my 32 with gauge working as well as it ever has it's far lower than the defi gauge. at idle the stock gauge is around 1.5 and the defi shows 2.5bar steady. before you panic definitely get a proper aftermarket pressure gauge on it.

Yeah mine was always all over the place... would go high, drop to zero, just above zero, halfway, high again. Seemed to drop to zero as you would pull up to the lights a lot. Crapped my dacks a few times at first but then just got used to ignoring it. Why Nissan would do that to their customers is beyond me!

In other news... I have entered the dirty old 34 into THC this week. CAMS log book is en-route.

If you were going to rebuild the engine, you should just get a N1 crate engine 13k i think. Drop it in and you're off. Dad's crate engine has done 3 Targas, and some open circuit racing, and it's still going strong. The power has ranged from 330rwkw to 400rwkw over the years.

I think you'll be fighting a uphill battle to run an external pump. As the GT-R has been proven realiable fast car now for years with a sump and good pump.

The standard gauge in my R32 GT-R does the same as yours, it's as good as usless. gauge shows no pressure, turn it off and on, and you magicly have 4 bar again.

I'm thinking about Lake Mountain Serge. I figure it would be a great testing opportunity as we can run over the same bit of road to get some good data and have the time to make some set-up changes between runs.

Will really depend on how hard it is to find this little niggle and if we can get the few little parts on the car in time or not. If not I might do the Tour regardless.

I did email my nav about it last week but haven't had a reply from him though which is a worry! :)

I see Tarmac mag reported that you used a legal 5 speed this year to finish second... lol

Well in fairness I never did use 6th at any stage! LOL (I could have on Cethana / Mt Rowland but my testies said no).

So in a sense I did use the legal version of the 5 speed rather than the illegal version. :)

I read a lot if fiction in Tarmac mag.... I struggle to find a reason to buy it these days, most of the detail is 5 months old already.

So Dean Evans isn't the best driver in the whole world?