SAU Community

Ecutalk Consult Lcd V2 Displays

NewKleer

ECUTalk Consult LCD V2 Displays

protoplastic.jpg

2005 prototype showing blue screen (4MB) - just happens this video from very first prototype, uses the blue LCD available for this display. Note the blue screen isnt as visible in competing light than green, keep that in mind when deciding which LCD to get. Although that was prototype from 3 years ago, the main sensor display is similar (instead of ECO:xxx its xx.xL/100KM). Also the update speed there i think is about half the speed of the current one.

Following on from the previous V1 thread, I've almost completed V2 displays that improve on the V1 displays in quite a few areas (can be seen in the 'changes in v2' section on the website). One key change is user updatable firmware (like adsl modem or computer bios), so when I add new features (perhaps logging to microsd card, audible alerts with the buzzer, etc) you will be able to upgrade your display to get the new features.

The display is plug and play into the consult port and requires no wiring (so its portable also). Your consult port is located near or attached to your driver's side incabin fusebox. You will need a car that:

a) supports consult (mostly evidenced by the consult plug near your fuse box, few late model Patrol etc will have port but not support consult for ECU), and

b) still retains the stock ECU (piggybacks and remaps generally fine, but PowerFC etc wont work), and

c) doesnt have messed up wiring to consult port (shouldnt, unless you have an engine transplant or some other reason the wiring may have been messed with)

For Skylines, this is the R32's (10/89+), R33, R34. If for whatever reason the display doesnt work for your car, if its returned in original condition you can get a full refund (minus postage).

Display Hardware:

The unit is 144mm wide, 48mm high, and 33mm deep (buttons protrude 3mm), and weighs ~250g. It is smaller than DIN size (180x50mm) and as such could be mounted in the DIN slot, amongst other places. It has a USB port for the integrated consult interface (accessed via the menu) for those who want to use it with normal consult programs on their PC, and for firmware upgrades.

The unit has 2 buttons on the front (they will be black, rather than the red/white ones in picture), a menu/enter button (the left one) and a cursor button (the right). The buttons are used to navigate through menus and the different features of the device. The menu/enter button initiates the menu (from the main display screen) or selects the currently selected item from any other menus/screens. The cursor button control the position of the cursor mainly in any of the menus, and switches between the sensor display or trip meter screen on the main display. It should be pretty easy to work it out when you use it.

The screen is a 20x4 backlit screen, wide temperate (-20 to +70 operating, -30 to +80 storage), available in standard green, or white on blue ($5 extra). The cable can exit the right or the rear, so it can be flush mounted either way.

protoplasticsides.jpg protoplasticrears.jpg

Display Features:

• Trip meter: Shows current speed (kmh or mph), current fuel economy (L/100KM or MPG), and for the current trip: fuel economy, fuel used (L or G), fuel rate (e.g. LPH, litres per hour, or GPH), distance travelled (KMs or Miles), and time elapsed.
  • Sensor Display: Shows current speed (kmh or mph), rpm, battery voltage, current fuel economy (L/100KM or MPG), injector duty cycle (%, and both if car has 2 injector banks), ignition timing, AAC, O2 (both if car has 2), water temperature (C or F), AFM (both if car has 2) and TPS (volts or %)
  • Fault Codes: Displays any current fault codes, along with how many starts since the fault code last occurred. Allows fault codes to be cleared.
  • USBIF: Enables the USB consult interface. Also shows the amount of bytes received/transferred from/to the PC and the last 4 bytes sent/received for some excitement.
  • Max Values: highest values recorded for speed, rpm, water temp, injector duty cycle, TPS, AFM, ignition timing. Allows the max values to be cleared also. Max values are for current trip only.
  • Time Trials: allows you to enter time trial mode, where it will record time from 0 to 60, 100, 160, or record from 0kmh until you travel 400m (i.e. quarter mile). Of course this is not to be used on public roads. Best times are saved into EEPROM (lost when you update firmware most likely).
  • Info: read some boring stuff about who made the display, and the firmware version.
  • Options: set injector cc size and number of cylinders for fuel/economy readings, set LCD brightness/contrast, setup TPS% min/max, KM or Miles, C or F, TPS volts or %, and allows you to reset display for firmware upgrades.
  • (Note: Options->TPS setup): As TPS only uses 0.5v-4.5v range roughly, not full 0-5v, if you set it to % without setting up min/max, it will read ~10-80% from closed to fully open. To setup TPS, you just need to have the TPS like it would be for 0% (foot off) on main sensor display, then go into setup tps and set the 0% point to current TPS value. Then go back to sensor display and go full throttle (ideally car 'on' but not running), then back into setup TPS and set 100% value. Then it should read 0-100%.

Price, Scheduling and Payment:

$200 pickup or +$7 for express postage. Blue screen is $5 extra. $5/unit sold will be donated to SAU. Thought price would go up from V1 displays due to getting more of it assembled elsewhere rather than doing it myself, but this was offset by the higher quantity batch this time, so can keep it a nice even $200 for group buy. Keep in mind USB consult interfaces alone are ~$110, so for less than double that you're getting the integrated usb interface + display itself.

Estimated availability is in August. I'm currently waiting on enclosure manufacture before displays can be sold. Initial run will be around 90 displays split between SAU, PGA and people who have contacted me via the website. If all 90 sell then ill aim to get another batch done.

Payments will only be asked for when ive confirmed that a device is available for you. Payment is via bank transfer (St George, arrives day after at earliest), or Paypal (instant, but has an additional fee of $6 unfortunately). Paypal is only an advantage when bank transfer is inconvenient, or you want the device ASAP (eg its 8pm and bank transfer wont be processed till the next day, and arrive in my account the day after that). You dont need a paypal account necessarily to use paypal, just a credit card.

Pickup is from Blacktown, Western Sydney, or possibly near Wynyard in Sydney (I work there a couple days/week).

I want one, what do I do now?:

Send me a PM stating your LCD preference (green/blue, only indicative for ordering purposes, you make final decision when you pay), and a contact email address (for backup purposes, also for notifications of firmware updates etc later on). I will then add you to the list (see second post). Displays will be allocated to people in the order they have express interest and have subsequently been added to the list of interested people.

As I make the displays, I'll ask the people in the list via PM in turn if they still want one, and if so, request payment. If they can provide payment within a reasonable time, they can purchase it then and pickup/get it posted. Otherwise, they'll either be removed from the list or put to the end of it, depending on whether theyre no longer interested, or just cant pay right now.

Things ill ask for when I've got displays ready and you're next on list:

1) Your full name

2) Your address and phone number

3) Email address (if one hasnt been provided already...for firmware updates in future)

4) Your payment method (bank transfer, paypal (+$6 fee), or pickup). Bank/paypal details will be provided at this time.

Peter

protoplasticfronts.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Peter,

I have found that i have a consult port and i am still highly interested in this but i recently had an engine swap (same engine). How can i possibly test if the

consult port is working. I have a basic electronic skills and can test for power via a multimeter. Could you help me out on this before i purchase one of

these!

Cheers

-Min

http://www.ecutalk.com/images/consult_car.jpg

confirm ground is connected to ground, 12v gets 12v when ignition on (or car running), forget chk/check (not used), and the remaining 3 should be short circuit/low resistance with their respective pins on the ECU itself (grab a ecu pinout...pins are nearly always around the bolt/middle of ecu pins)

but if you cant be bothered, if the display doesnt work for whatever reason and its returned in original condition in a reasonable timeframe (e.g. a week or two), then you can get a full refund (minus postage).

worst case you can probably chop off ur consult port and re-wire it at the ECU...i did that for RB25DET silvia i had 3-4 years ago.

is there any chance that this will ever work with a power fc?

never, nissan would have patented it probably, so if apexi implemented the same thing they would have been sued probably. even if they didnt, apexi didnt implement consult capabilities so thats all that matters.

http://www.ecutalk.com/images/consult_car.jpg

confirm ground is connected to ground, 12v gets 12v when ignition on (or car running), forget chk/check (not used), and the remaining 3 should be short circuit/low resistance with their respective pins on the ECU itself (grab a ecu pinout...pins are nearly always around the bolt/middle of ecu pins)

but if you cant be bothered, if the display doesnt work for whatever reason and its returned in original condition in a reasonable timeframe (e.g. a week or two), then you can get a full refund (minus postage).

worst case you can probably chop off ur consult port and re-wire it at the ECU...i did that for RB25DET silvia i had 3-4 years ago.

never, nissan would have patented it probably, so if apexi implemented the same thing they would have been sued probably. even if they didnt, apexi didnt implement consult capabilities so thats all that matters.

Thanks Peter. I guess if it is not connected i can just re wire it into the ecu.

Cheers

-Min

here are some pics of the blue screen. first one is better quality but the blueness in the screen is a bit washed out (i.e. it doesnt actually look that way). the second shows the blue aspect of the screen better (but was taken at night without flash so picture quality itself is worse). also shows the black buttons which will be used rather than the red/white ones.

post-4553-1217470108_thumb.jpg

post-4553-1217470288_thumb.jpg

no chance :cool:

good news is they have shipped and i might get them monday! and ive taken mon-wed off work to get some of the final assembly done so hopefully not long now!

i did have a look before for grommet, but didnt know what to search for. found a bit more today, like this:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=8134

http://www.amphenolcanada.com/ProductSearc...MUSB2D11004.pdf