SAU Community

Dump Pipes

Mx_Pwr

I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust (currently stock) to something a little meatier. I've opted for Turboback, cos I figure if I'm gonna do it, I might as well do it right. I've had a look at a few options from complete systems, to purchasing components. During my search I have notice single tube dump pipes and dual tube dump pipes. Could someone please explain to me what the difference is? I've tried researching but to no avail.

a6e7_2.JPG7cbb_2.JPG

A bigger system altogether increases flow.

The dump pipe design itself determines turbulance. Introducing the wastegate pipe further down the dump pipe claims to be better for turbulance.

+1 for the poorly aligned flanges.

Bought a jjr split dump/front pipe for my 33 & had to get the flange cut off & welded back on to fit.

But is well worth the extras 50 bucks :rolleyes:

+1 for the poorly aligned flanges.

Bought a jjr split dump/front pipe for my 33 & had to get the flange cut off & welded back on to fit.

But is well worth the extras 50 bucks :D

I have one of the JJR split dumps and it bolted up perfectly. Maybe someone fudged it up in manufacturing.

Only problem i had was one of the turbo flange bolts is rather teedious to do up. Takes some thinking to even get it on. Ha.

Other than that its great.

I have one of the JJR split dumps and it bolted up perfectly. Maybe someone fudged it up in manufacturing.

Only problem i had was one of the turbo flange bolts is rather teedious to do up. Takes some thinking to even get it on. Ha.

Other than that its great.

If you had a good look at it you would notice the overlap of the flange (read restrictions). They bolt up with varied levels of difficulty due to the poor manufacture (some easy some less so) but, hey what do you expect for $250?

HKS make split dump pipes and yes they 'can' work. Importantly they need to be well made to start with.

If you had a good look at it you would notice the overlap of the flange (read restrictions). They bolt up with varied levels of difficulty due to the poor manufacture (some easy some less so) but, hey what do you expect for $250?

HKS make split dump pipes and yes they 'can' work. Importantly they need to be well made to start with.

Yah i see what you mean. Maybe i got lucky with mine, as a far as i could see the flanges mated up pretty well.

And also, the $250, i agree totally, when i bought it, it was more of a trial for the price. As i was going to go for the HKS split one, and the HKS front pipe.

But seeing as the JJR one cost less (shipped to NZ) than the HKS front pipe did alone, not to mention shipping AND the cost of the HKS dump, i thought it was worth the gamble. And in my case, it paid off :sleep:

Not sure what car your putting this onto, but i picked up a split dump pipe for my R34 from Bosimporting which is one of the traders from here and its excellent. The guy from the exhaust place that fitted it commented that it was a nice piece of gear. maybe worth checking out their site which i think is www.bosimporting.com.au . also the they have pretty competitively priced cats which are excellent as well.

Jizm

split dump is designed to separate wastegate gas form exhaust turbine outlet gas,thus reducing the turbulence and increasing flow,but we arent all made of money so it really comes down to you mate,how much do you want to spend?,i just use the standard dump on my 180 and its perfect,same for the 33,but it just depends on your plans for the car,the power gains arent that significant that i would worry about changing the dump on a daily streeter.if that makes any sense to you..

d-brod

split dump is designed to separate wastegate gas form exhaust turbine outlet gas,thus reducing the turbulence and increasing flow,but we arent all made of money so it really comes down to you mate,how much do you want to spend?,i just use the standard dump on my 180 and its perfect,same for the 33,but it just depends on your plans for the car,the power gains arent that significant that i would worry about changing the dump on a daily streeter.if that makes any sense to you..

d-brod

Thanks for everyone's responses/info. Very helpful. I'm only new to the whole "Car Enthusiast" thing so I'm learning as I go. I recently purchased an R33 (all stock standard) and that was the beginning of a whole new passion. In response to the quote, the only reason that I'm not sure how far I'd like to go, is that have no idea how far I can go. So my plan evolves as my knowledge increases. I'm not the type of person to do things in half measures so if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. So I don't mind spending money on quality. I presume that I'll be modifying more as time goes on, so I figure I need to do things that allow for further upgrades.

Hey Mx Pwr,

My Fanny was right, the stainless split dump in the picture you supplied has the wastegate gases venting into the atmosphere (aka a screamer) which is highly allegal and annoyingly noisy. Anyway, I have used both setups on my 33 and I'd recommend using the split-pipe for sure and just get a dump pipe that will piggy back off the back of the split.

And if you're replacing the stock pipe you should notice a slight increase in boost as well =)

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but someone in a import car parts shop said that I'm better off changing my cat and cat back system before i do the front/dump pipe and cat first. I always thought start from the turbo back right? Money or lack there off is making me do these mods in 2 stages. Car is a stock S2 Stagea.