SAU Community

100,000 Km Service

st4gea rs4

I don't if it's just me being a bit naive about the cost of things these days but I feel like I got well and truly ripped for my 100,00km service, i.e timing belt etc, on my S2 RS4.

So how much would you expect to pay for a major service?

In the first instance I will keep the cost and name of mechanic close to my chest but if he has done me over the sh*t will fly.

Well dont forget that the timing belt should be done around that time too- so that

can add greatly to the over all cost- perhaps you should list what WAS done then we can all

have a look then pass judgement-

I don't if it's just me being a bit naive about the cost of things these days but I feel like I got well and truly ripped for my 100,00km service, i.e timing belt etc, on my S2 RS4.

So how much would you expect to pay for a major service?

In the first instance I will keep the cost and name of mechanic close to my chest but if he has done me over the sh*t will fly.

timing belt would be about $150 for aftermarket, if OEM almost double. - labour would be 2.0 hours at say $180

Lube service would be approx $250 depending on oils used (assuming engine and transfer and diffs)

At 100k should be coolant and waterpump. If waterpump OEM is $155, coolant is $65, labour on top of timing belt would be another hour so $90.

tune, assuming just a check tune not a dyno, should not be anymore than $100.

so total would be around $1,000.

depends what sparkies he put in? if he put iridium plugs in they are like $30 each so there is a $180 plus half hour to fit.

Air filter - assuming standard panel is (last time I checked) $79 and say 15 minutes to fit.

Fuel filter was $34 and say half hour to fit.

Yeah dood, that seems abit excessive by about $500 odd, did you get an itemised account?

you wont be able to sit down for a month mate, you have been well and truly ass raped if you paid anywhere next to 2k, my bill came to $600ish all oils timing belt water pump labour etc that was about a year ago.

when i got my cooler put on we both came to an idea do half the 100k service now and half later save on cost's ...oil - front diff, rear diff, auto trans oil , engine oil, oil filter, basicall all the fluids that looked old and coulnt wait .. but for that labour was only $240 parts was $148 .. in 6km more im getting timing belt and sparks done and change air filter and maybe fuel filter .. this is at a well reconized workshop also

umm .. I wouldnt agree with 1/2 hr to fit - they can be a b1tch to do as you gotta get SO much stuff out of the way before you do it. And if they were not familiar with an RB25DET it might take em twice that long .

HALF AN HOUR to fit a fuel filter! WTF!! thats a massive ripoff

Did they itemise the bill? if so maybe you could scan in and just blur out the workshop name.

2k - whoa baby! thats good motivation to learn to do it yourlself hey?

depends what sparkies he put in? if he put iridium plugs in they are like $30 each so there is a $180 plus half hour to fit.

Air filter - assuming standard panel is (last time I checked) $79 and say 15 minutes to fit.

Fuel filter was $34 and say half hour to fit.

Yeah dood, that seems abit excessive by about $500 odd, did you get an itemised account?

timing belts terrify me too - but apparently if you get the thing set up ok and obey the rules - ie keep an eye on where the pulleys are pointing etc- then your ok

oh well - after the 100thou service you should be able to DIY it and reclaim the 2k

Hell yeah, as of yesterday I have got myself a weekender in my mates workshop... I usually do my own services but when it came to timing belt etc I just cbf. Looks like I learnt a lesson the hard way.

Just thought I'd say that I got a quote from a reputable workshop in Adelaide who do a lot of work on imports and they said ~$1,250 (I can't remember the exact price, but it was around there).

This for a series 2 RS-Four V (auto), and they said everything got changed - plugs, fluids (diffs, auto, brake fluid) air cleaner, fuel filter, spark plugs, timing belt, idler & tensioner pulleys & water pump... I must say, considering the cost of components to do it yourself anyway, I'm still thinking about it... I know I can do it 'cause I've had it far enough apart before, but I just don't know if I can justify the time. Plus I could get them to do a couple of extra things like replace the exhaust manifold gasket and studs, checkout the manifold for cracks for hopefully not too much extra while they're there...

timing belts terrify me too - but apparently if you get the thing set up ok and obey the rules - ie keep an eye on where the pulleys are pointing etc- then your ok

oh well - after the 100thou service you should be able to DIY it and reclaim the 2k

I dont get this myself, I mean, if you are confident enough to remove the spark plugs you have all the skills required to change a timing belt, and it doesn't take that long really.

The ONLY golden rule to stress about is making sure the crank/cams aren't rotated if the timing belt is off, other than that, it is really simple to do.

Best way to learn is by doing.

Mine was almost $2500... :P but I had a cracked exhaust manifold (with 4 broken studs) and leaking main seal etc.. <sigh> But it was a new car afterwards. Had the usual work done with water pump, thermostat, plugs, timing belt (racing one) plus had engine mounts done, all acc. belts, vacuum hoses etc etc etc..

Just thought I'd say that I got a quote from a reputable workshop in Adelaide who do a lot of work on imports and they said ~$1,250 (I can't remember the exact price, but it was around there).

This for a series 2 RS-Four V (auto), and they said everything got changed - plugs, fluids (diffs, auto, brake fluid) air cleaner, fuel filter, spark plugs, timing belt, idler & tensioner pulleys & water pump... I must say, considering the cost of components to do it yourself anyway, I'm still thinking about it... I know I can do it 'cause I've had it far enough apart before, but I just don't know if I can justify the time. Plus I could get them to do a couple of extra things like replace the exhaust manifold gasket and studs, checkout the manifold for cracks for hopefully not too much extra while they're there...

I have to get mine done soon too, is this Boostworx?